Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegrass Pit's water levels

The water is over the top of the concrete launch ramp at the North end of Blue Grass Pit in the Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife Area. There is a huge culvert that runs under Boonville New Harmony Road from the South end of Blue Grass Pit to the North end of Loon Pit. And there are signs of beaver activity in both Blue Grass Pit and Loon Pit. One can easily see where the beavers have chewed the trunks of small trees and cut the trees down. They use these tree branches and young shoots for food but they also use them to make DAMS. Beavers are drawn to the sound of running water and they use these trees and their parts to build a dam and stop the flowing water so that their pond levels rise.

I'm wondering if there are any obstructions in the culvert that runs over the road way and if that's why the water levels are not lowering as they did in the past. How would one even inspect such a pipe to see if there are any obstructions in the pipe. Maybe using a long flexible fiber optic camera system to check it to see if it's clear of obstructions?

Water flows into these pits from the surrounding higher land and the areas upstream of the area via Bluegrass Creek and then flows North to South though Bluegrass Pit then into Loon Pit and then finally into Otter put to the South of Loon Pit. From Otter pit the water flows westward across a field via a huge deep ditch back out into the Blue Grass Creek and then on down stream into Pigeon Creek and then finally into the Ohio River.

The Ohio River is not high and dress plaza at Evansville is Close due to high water levels along the Evansville, IN Riverfront. So even if the culverts were fully open there is no where for the excessive water in the Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife Area Pits to go.

I'll never be able to launch my bass boat with these water levels until the water goes back down a whole lot. The top sections of the concrete launch ramps is too flat and does not drop off as fast as I need to launch my boat with a 2 wheel drive truck. My cab would be under water before my boat would float up and off the boat trailer the way things are now. Maybe I should buy a kayak and fish out of that? I guess I need to find a new hobby or a new place to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it ever going to stop raining?

[QUOTE=Moveon;555151]The water is over the top of the concrete launch ramp at the North end of Blue Grass Pit in the Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife Area. There is a huge culvert that runs under Boonville New Harmony Road from the South end of Blue Grass Pit to the North end of Loon Pit. And there are signs of beaver activity in both Blue Grass Pit and Loon Pit. One can easily see where the beavers have chewed the trunks of small trees and cut the trees down. They use these tree branches and young shoots for food but they also use them to make DAMS. Beavers are drawn to the sound of running water and they use these trees and their parts to build a dam and stop the flowing water so that their pond levels rise.

I'm wondering if there are any obstructions in the culvert that runs over the road way and if that's why the water levels are not lowering as they did in the past. How would one even inspect such a pipe to see if there are any obstructions in the pipe. Maybe using a long flexible fiber optic camera system to check it to see if it's clear of obstructions?

http://www.courierpress.com/news/loc...378632471.html

One of these days it might stop raining for a week or so and the water levels can go back down to normal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------