Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barren Tailwaters

Thinking about stopping at the Barren tailwaters for a few hours on my way to Nashville. Anybody have any suggestions for good spots to bank and/or wade fish (assuming flows are manageable.)? I'll have an ultralight spinning rig and a 6 wt. fly rod with me. Any other rivers or creeks in the Bowling Green area or relatively close to the I-65 corridor that might be worth checking out? Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    All sorts of flat bridges and creeks to try out. Me personally, unless I was trying to catch a hybrid on a flyrod, I would skip the Barren tailwaters.

For trout Trammel in allen co has both browns and rainbows. Any other creeks have smallmouth and spotted bass.

If Barren is on your way, Peter Creek Unit of the Barren River WMA is a nice wadeable area that has nice smallmouth. Park in the small gravel lot and walk past the gate onto the WMA and fish from where the road crossing is back upstream. You can wade a good ways up through there but there is one deep hole that you need to get on the bank for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Smashdn. Can you give me details about accessing Trammel Creek (without giving up any "secret spots")? I'm not too familiar with the area but I can read a map!

Post Thanks / Like
    https://app.fw.ky.gov/fisheries/wate...l.aspx?wid=416

Here is a start for you on Trammel. It goes for a good ways before it hits Drakes in Warren co. The upper end is where the trout are. Mid to lower you get into smallmouth and spots, lower end you may catch largemouth too.

Just about anywhere one of those county roads crosses a creek there is a bridge with a pull off that you can fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    https://app.fw.ky.gov/fisheries/wate...l.aspx?wid=416

Here is a start for you on Trammel. It goes for a good ways before it hits Drakes in Warren co. The upper end is where the trout are. Mid to lower you get into smallmouth and spots, lower end you may catch largemouth too.

Just about anywhere one of those county roads crosses a creek there is a bridge with a pull off that you can fish.

Thanks again. I had fun at the Concord Chruch area. It's a beautiful creek! Caught a ton of 8 - 10 inch rainbows dead drifting a black wooly bugger. I fished both above and below the bridge (didn't have much luck at the bridge). Next time, I will try the Blankenship area...can't wait!