Search Fishin.com

Thread: Life's a BEACH!

Post Thanks / Like

Life's a BEACH!

http://www.courierpress.com/news/nat...379649711.html

If you can't see this just delete your cache and try this web site again. Evansville Courier and Press limits how many times you can read their articles for free. But if you delete your cache you can read it again and again.

Look Someone has a NURSE SHARK hanging onto them by it's teeth. Oh God what to do. Do you kill the shark and pry it's mouth open to get it off your leg or arm? Or do you let the physical/surgeon operate on it to get it off.

Decisions .... Decisions.

Can you imagine the pain this person was in and how scared they were when the paramedic arrived and could not get the thing off them even after it died?

What beach were they swimming in? Notice that the story DOES not tell us where this happened. Remember what the Chamber of Commerce guy did and said in the movie JAWS? He didn't want anyone to know about the big shark out off their beach for fear of scaring off the summer tourist during the forth of July weekend. So was the movie based on what happens in real life or was it based on the books imagination? I'll go with the former myself. The almighty dollar is the trump card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post

If you can't see this just delete your cache and try this web site again. Evansville Courier and Press limits how many times you can read their articles for free. But if you delete your cache you can read it again and again.

Look Someone has a NURSE SHARK hanging onto them by it's teeth. Oh God what to do. Do you kill the shark and pry it's mouth open to get it off your leg or arm? Or do you let the physical/surgeon operate on it to get it off.

Can you imagine the pain this person was in and how scared they were when the paramedic arrived and could not get the thing off them even after it died?

What beach were they swimming in? Notice that the story DOES not tell us where this happened. Remember what the Chamber of Commerce guy did and said in the movie JAWS? He didn't want anyone to know about the big shark out off their beach for fear of scaring off the summer tourist during the forth of July weekend. So was the movie based on what happens in real life or was it based on the books imagination? I'll go with the former myself. The almighty dollar is the trump card.
    WOW.........The story says Boca Raton.......probably Delray Beach .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post

I just got back from a trip to Cancun Mexico, we went scuba diving in the Ocean there, they have a underwater museum, that was one thing that bothered me, was thinking of a shark showing up while I was there, didn't see any sharks, and believe me I was looking and thinking of sharks while swimming 40 feet down in the ocean, but did see hundreds of fish and one small turtle, the boat load of divers were split up into 3 groups, one group saw a large loggerhead turtle, the diving guide said it was the largest one he ever saw, the dive over all was pretty cool. they have statues of people made of concrete, on the ocean floor, alone with small houses and a VW beetle, arches and other items. it's a fun trip, another day I went out fishing trying for a big marlin, trolled for about 5 hours, no marlin, one guy caught a Barracuda, we stopped fishing for Marlin and started bottom fishing, and caught some snapper, and red Grouper. had a shark showed up, it sure would have made a good trip go bad for me.
    ps sorry for highjacking your post moveon, but reading about the shark, made me want to share scuba diving story with you.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Your story reminds me of a dive I went on

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I just got back from a trip to Cancun Mexico, we went scuba diving in the Ocean there, they have a underwater museum, that was one thing that bothered me, was thinking of a shark showing up while I was there, didn't see any sharks, and believe me I was looking and thinking of sharks while swimming 40 feet down in the ocean, but did see hundreds of fish and one small turtle, the boat load of divers were split up into 3 groups, one group saw a large loggerhead turtle, the diving guide said it was the largest one he ever saw, the dive over all was pretty cool. they have statues of people made of concrete, on the ocean floor, alone with small houses and a VW beetle, arches and other items. it's a fun trip, another day I went out fishing trying for a big marlin, trolled for about 5 hours, no marlin, one guy caught a Barracuda, we stopped fishing for Marlin and started bottom fishing, and caught some snapper, and red Grouper. had a shark showed up, it sure would have made a good trip go bad for me.
    ps sorry for highjacking your post moveon, but reading about the shark, made me want to share scuba diving story with you.
    I went on a dive down at Panama City Florida with a friend. We were in 85 ft. of water with poor visibility due to a recent storm in the area. I could only see out to about 40 ft. My regular partner got sick on the boat ride out to the dive sight and threw up inside his regulator after getting to the bottom and running out of air. He didn't throw up until we reached the surface. Probably more from fear than anything else. He refused to take his sea sick pills a second time after the dive boat developed propeller problems and delayed our trip out into the ocean. His first sea sick pills had worn off and so he got sick on the boat after the short dive. He also failed to check his air tank before the dive to see if he had a full tank. He didn't have a pressure gage on his tank. (we were poor boys back in those days and didn't have the money to buy all the extra fancy pressure gages at the time. Today he dives with a dry suit and built in voice communications gear along with pressure gages and all the bells and whistles as the money comes from the Government.

Anyway after he got sick I got stuck with a new dive partner that I didn't know from Adam. His partner got sick too so he was diving with me. We got down near the bottom and my new partner started spear fishing. He speared a Bonita and had the fish on the spear's tether line between the spear gun and the spear. The fish was leaking blood into the water and was still alive and thrashing all over the place as far as the tether line would allow. The guy was told to surface if he speared any fish but he ignored the captains orders speared another fish. Now he has two live wounded bleeding fish on his tether line and was proceeding to go after another fish. I signaled to him to go up but he refused. So I signaled to him that I was low on air and was going up. He eventually followed me up. We got back to the boat and I informed him that there were sharks circling around us after he speared the first fish and that the captain had told everyone to get out of the water when he sighted the first shark. My partner ended everyone's dive a little early.

We ended up going snorkeling a while as we were all out of bottom time. We only used one tank of air to avoid having to spend time decompressing. A simple way to have to not use dive tables etc. KISS was my thinking.

A few larger blue sharks ended up coming into the area. They felt the vibrations of the fish on the tether line thrashing to and foe while constrained by the spear and the tether line. The spear passed all the way though the fish and the line kept the fish from escaping. My new diving partner endangered everyone's lives that day by putting blood in the water and not brining the first fish up to the surface and out of the water immediately. I'd never dive with idiot again.

Most all my diving was recovering things for the authorities. Including drowning victims in the Ohio River and local lakes. I did recuse diving for about ten years today. Our equipment back in those days was self purchased and antique by todays equipment. Our communication system was hand pulls on a rope that we tied around our waist and that led back to the surface to where a tender held onto the rope. No radio voice systems in our masks back in the 1970's. But the Sharks didn't care if we could talk to each other or not. They still smelled the blood in the water and were circling around us in the distance.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post