Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Baitcasting reel for beginner

I've used spinning gear my entire life, but am wanting to give baitcasting a try. I understand the basic mechanics of using a baitcaster, but have no idea what I should be looking for when buying my first one. Most of my spinning reels are Shimano. Don't need anything fancy and would like to keep it affordable. Does anyone have any suggestions on good reels for a baitcasting beginner? Something I can learn the basics on and get comfortable with?

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    The old Shimano "greenies" are great bulletproof reels and can often be found used around $50. Thats the best bang for the buck reel youll find. If you buy a cheap new reel they often dont perform well and might frustrate a beginner. Learn how to use all the braking systems and have someone who knows what theyre doing set the reel up for you
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with above. Try to start with a quality reel even if it is used. I found it easiest to learn on a magnetic braking system. You can turn the magnets all the way up, tighten up the spool tensioner knob, and almost make it backlash proof. As you get more and more comfortable, you back off the brakes and tensioners which will allow you to gain distance. I would not recommend starting with one of the round reels like an Abu 5500. I started with Quantum reels with the adjustable dial for the magnets. Good luck. You will be sailing them in no time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you adept in spinning, start with a LH reel. No reason to switch the rod into other hand with ever cast. Best advice I ever received on baitcasters. I also started casting by throwing my thumb down like throwing a screwball when pitching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishincreek View Post
    Since you adept in spinning, start with a LH reel. No reason to switch the rod into other hand with ever cast. Best advice I ever received on baitcasters. I also started casting by throwing my thumb down like throwing a screwball when pitching.
    Did you never switch the spinning reel to right handed cranking? I never understood why people didn't do this...but maybe I am different

Post Thanks / Like
    No it always stayed on the left side, then going to baitcasters an old time muskie guide urged me to use LH reels and I never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    The old Shimano "greenies" are great bulletproof reels and can often be found used around $50. Thats the best bang for the buck reel youll find. If you buy a cheap new reel they often dont perform well and might frustrate a beginner. Learn how to use all the braking systems and have someone who knows what theyre doing set the reel up for you
    I agree........and I also agree about the old green shimano reels.....they are freakin awesome.

I will also say that the johnny morris reels you can get for about 80 bucks sometimes are pretty good. So good in fact, I have sold off all my shimano green reels, and only use the johnnys and a couple lews super speed spools.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Do most baitcasters come with braking systems? I think I've seen cheaper ones with centrifugal ones or something. Haven't seen many with magnetic brakes, but I'm guessing those are on more expensive reels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dick's has an Okuma for about $35. Another tip I might add is, when you get a nice backlash(birds nest) you may be better served if you pull the line (gently) back rather than pull the line out the front of the reel. Do not cinch the line down tight, be gentle and patient. Watching a newbie throw a baitcaster can be quite entertaining (not as good as a wife or gf trying to back a boat at the ramp) but still fun to watch nonetheless. Keep a positive attitude and will master it sooner than later.

Post Thanks / Like
    One piece of advice I'll give you is, start with a really heavy bait and, as you get more comfortable, start stair-stepping your way down to lighter baits.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second Johnny Morris start out with heavy line put tape about over the string about when the line is half full go to u tube some videos on getting out line jambs tighten drag all the way put thump over line crank several times to get out birds nest works everyone took me one season and about 3 restringing but will work practice practice practice now I turn off my breaks and use my thumb to control line good lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on how much you want to spend I would go with the ambassador Revo S I have 2 of them and they are very easy to cast with minimum effort you can find them for $100 or so