Search Fishin.com

Thread: Ignition Key

Post Thanks / Like

Ignition Key

Lost the one I used all the time back in the winter and I have been using my back up key. Anyone ever had any luck having one made or I'm I going to have to have the whole ignition switch replaced. It's a mercury motor if that helps.Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    if it's a genuine mercury switch, your local dealer can get a pre-made key. look for the number or letter on your key.
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted a spare key for my ignition so I went to my local ACE Hardware store. They did not have a blank that was specific to a boat ignition but they did have a blank that was a perfect match. I ask the guy who cut my key what the blank was supposed to be used for and he said the blank was listed as a key that is typically used on a gas cap lid...it was a perfect match for my ignition...If my memory is correct it was right at $2
    Likes GeoFisher, Wormin, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    if it's a genuine mercury switch, your local dealer can get a pre-made key. look for the number or letter on your key.
    Yes it is,it came on a new boat. It has a hard plastic coating covering part of the key that is not inserted.Number must be under it all I see is Quick Silver on the key.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    I wanted a spare key for my ignition so I went to my local ACE Hardware store. They did not have a blank that was specific to a boat ignition but they did have a blank that was a perfect match. I ask the guy who cut my key what the blank was supposed to be used for and he said the blank was listed as a key that is typically used on a gas cap lid...it was a perfect match for my ignition...If my memory is correct it was right at $2
    Thanks. We have a Ace here in Danville I will give it a try.Wow 2.00 dollars would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    look very close on the switch itself right beside the keyhole. sometimes they put the number there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    look very close on the switch itself right beside the keyhole. sometimes they put the number there.
    I never did find a number,but thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    I went to Ace here in Danville and they have boat key blanks,I't was 5.99 so I'm happy to have a spare. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know its been a few years (3-4?) since I had a key cut and it was $2. You might as well say you paid $6. I am surprised it cost that much but I am glad my suggestion help you get what you needed.