Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

First trip to the Cumberland River

Made my first trip ever to the Cumberland River below Wolf Creek. Put in just down from Burksville and ran up river about 8-9 miles. We were trying to catch a striper but ended up slaying the trout. Caught rainbows, brookies, and browns. First time catching the latter. Only one tiny striper but had a 40 pounder, or more, follow a lure to the boat. Had several smaller ones follow to the boat but no hits. According to everyone the water was up, but I have no reference. Any suggestions for a striper would be appreciated. I really want to tangle with a big one being as I've never caught one over 4-5 pounds. Feel free to PM about any trout details.
    Likes Mtb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good time. Any chance you would share what the trout were biting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8&sand View Post
    Sounds like a good time. Any chance you would share what the trout were biting?
    I sent you a message.
    Likes 8&sand liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cumby

Me too? Please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zofishky View Post
    Made my first trip ever to the Cumberland River below Wolf Creek. Put in just down from Burksville and ran up river about 8-9 miles. We were trying to catch a striper but ended up slaying the trout. Caught rainbows, brookies, and browns. First time catching the latter. Only one tiny striper but had a 40 pounder, or more, follow a lure to the boat. Had several smaller ones follow to the boat but no hits. According to everyone the water was up, but I have no reference. Any suggestions for a striper would be appreciated. I really want to tangle with a big one being as I've never caught one over 4-5 pounds. Feel free to PM about any trout details.
    If you can .........get some live shad or skippies ,,,, if you are using lures get the biggest swim baits you can get , and if you can get some in a rainbow trout pattern try those.Storm makes some cool swim baits that are weighted

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    If you can .........get some live shad or skippies ,,,, if you are using lures get the biggest swim baits you can get , and if you can get some in a rainbow trout pattern try those.Storm makes some cool swim baits that are weighted
    I will definitely try to get some big live gizzard shad. Skipjack are impossible to keep alive so unless I luck into them on the water they are out. I've found several big swim baits in rainbow patterns but I don't know if they are weighted enough. Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    We threw these one day last summer, had some follow to the boat but no takers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	13179  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bronco View Post
    We threw these one day last summer, had some follow to the boat but no takers
    I found a couple swim baits like that at Sportsman's Warehouse that I'm gonna try. We had a monster follow an A-rig to the boat but never could get a strike. Going to try a couple different things next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sportsman warehouse is where i got mine, Savage gear line thru trout !!