Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegrass Saturday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	13171Well, I finally got the chance to fish Bluegrass hard for the first time this year.. And what a day it was. I fished from 5:30am to about 1pm before my pansy self got too hot. I caught about 10-12 bass total... Some dinks but 6-7 nice fish (2 lbs to 3.5 lbs). In true fisherman fashion I lost a nice one (4lbs I guess), when it got wrapped around my trolling motor at the boat. I put them all back... It was a pretty good Saturday with all the boats out there. I started putting em in the live well so I could get a picture of em all but it was getting hot and too many fish in there. I didn't want them to die. Rumor was that a guy caught a 6lbs plus on a rattle trap Saturday morning. I'll post some pics of someone will tell me how? I don't see a way to attach them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	157 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	13172Click image for larger version. 

Views:	152 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	13173Click image for larger version. 

Views:	156 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	13174Click image for larger version. 

Views:	151 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	13175

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be careful even sticking them in the livewell. Minimum size is 18", daily limit of 2.

Good to see you caught some. I was thinking of heading over there, but figured it would be too packed for me.
    Likes jkelley1487 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I just wanted a few to take a picture but a CO could think I was full of it. Good point, I won't do that anymore. Oh yeah, it was a zoo. I got there at first light and there were 4 boats already lining up to put in. Parking lot was completely full when I saw it around 8am. I counted 6 boats in the first cove on the right when I passed by... It was a zoo.

Post Thanks / Like
    went by there friday morning pretty early with a buddy heading to a bluegill hole a little farther east of there, there were 4 trailers on bluegrass and about 6 on loon. i commented about nobody working any more. there is usually more boats on bluegrass so i dont know whats up with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why stress fish at all by keeping them in your live well? Hey, at least you got a picture....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quack-- no kidding... pretty impressive that you can still catch quality fish out of em with that many boats out there all the time.

Justin-- didn't mean to offend ... Just wanted to share some info and pics with some fellow bluegrass fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Protect the Resource

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley1487 View Post
    Quack-- no kidding... pretty impressive that you can still catch quality fish out of em with that many boats out there all the time.

Justin-- didn't mean to offend ... Just wanted to share some info and pics with some fellow bluegrass fisherman.
    Justin is right about not stressing the fish anymore than necessary. I can understand wanting to get a picture etc but it does put a lot more stress on the fish and it's also ILLEGAL. The game warden or Conservation Officer (CO) would be required to give you a ticket if he sees you keeping fish like that in the live well. The rules are that one has to immediately release any fish caught that are under legal size or limits. If it's 17" long and you catch it you are suppose to immediately release it back into the water. Now I'm not sure how they use the word 'immediately". As many people catch fish and then get the camera out to take a picture of the fish before returning it back to the water where it was caught.

The main goal is the let the fish live to fight another day. I'm happy to hear that you won't keep anymore fish again as that's probably the wise thing to do. CO's can't be every where so we have to self enforce the rules to make them work. And belive me there is a good reason for the rules.

I'm not sure what to do about the number of fishermen at Bluegrass these days. Word has spread about the fishing out there and how many big fish are caught. And there is not many place with nice concrete launch ramps to go to in this area except for the IDNR Fish and Wildlife Areas and maybe the Ohio River.

Bluegrass Pit is only 190 Acres and the number of good fishing spots on this type of old Strip Pit are limited. I use to go out there after ten am so that all those early risers were leaving the lake as I arrived. Not many people fish in the heat of the day like I did. But I fished by slow trolling crank baits and always had a little breeze to cool me off. But as more and more people starting using the lake I found it way too crowded to slow troll out there. I've not been fishing these lakes for about two years now going on three. One less boat to get in the way. So I'm doing my part. I use to go out there in the evening and fish from the launch ramp but even that's out of the question unless I leave early and get there before the other people camp out at the launch ramp all week long.

I see people backing up their trucks to the launch ramp at some of the smaller pits and parking their lawn chair right in the middle of the old launch ramp area. Anyone wanting to launch their boat is out of luck unless they can get the guy to move his truck and himself from the launch ramp at Bird Dog Pit. At least they built a new concrete launch ramp at this pit further to the South so people can use that launch ramp when the other one is basically closed by one guy. The signs clearly say. Park Clear of the Launch Ramp at almost every ramp in the area with signs. Anyone who's been out at Bluegrass can read the signs, So there is no excuse to park on the launch ramp for hours at a time. I wish that the CO would put a stop to people doing this. If not there are going to be some mad people when they arrive to launch their boat and can't because someone is parked on the ramp.

I've seen groups like the UE Explorer Club park their canoes and canoe trailer across the launch ramp and block the ramp for hours at a time. But they usually don't do this until late Sept or Early Oct when the number of people using Otter Pit is lacking. I've seen them doing this twice in the last five years and didn't say anything to them at the time as I was not using my boat that day. I was just fishing from the bank that day and had just got back home from Patoka Lake where I fished with a friend and used his boat up there. So my boat was not with me at the time. But if I had driven over there to Otter Pit to fish for a few hours in the evening and they were blocking the ramp like that I would have been upset. Too many people in such a small area is not good IMHO.

Does anyone remember what it was like out there before they started letting gasoline motors on the lakes? It was a lot more quiet out there back then. But it was harder to launch and recover the boat.

The best time for me to fish Bluegrass is during the week and during the afternoon when all the early risers are back home taking their naps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Move on-- you guys are right. I won't do that again. I was pulling out around 1pm Saturday and there were about 4-5 ppl fishing the ramp. It was a family out there but it was a circus at the ramp. I noticed that the bass on my graphs started suspending up as the day went on... The bites definitely slowed down after about 11am or so, but so did the boat traffic. That's a good idea to go out later in the day if you can keep cool. What I noticed was the canoes really came out in full force later in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

An Umbrella on the boat helps some

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley1487 View Post
    Move on-- you guys are right. I won't do that again. I was pulling out around 1pm Saturday and there were about 4-5 ppl fishing the ramp. It was a family out there but it was a circus at the ramp. I noticed that the bass on my graphs started suspending up as the day went on... The bites definitely slowed down after about 11am or so, but so did the boat traffic. That's a good idea to go out later in the day if you can keep cool. What I noticed was the canoes really came out in full force later in the day.
    But even if you have some shade and a little breeze the people in canoes tend to get in the way and make it hard to troll the break line along the East Side of the Pit. The break line is not a straight line as the sharp drop off swings in and out along the coast line. The 10 ft break line from 10 to 15 ft is where I target my crankbaits.

Now there are other areas of the Pit on the Northern End that are less crowded and more easily trolled.

Right now the only reason I'd go out in the middle of the day would be to take pictures. It's way too hot for me to fish even with an umbrella.

I wish I had one of those canopy that can be put on the small boats. Those would help me get more shade and be able to see the depth finder's screen in the day time. My older Screen is hard to see in direct sunlight even if it's shaded some.

Fish tend to suspend over the deeper drop offs. The area where it drops down from 20 to about 40 or 50 deep. Those underwater ledges are well down below the fish which suspend right above the thermocline at around 26 to 27 ft deep this time of the year.