Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn Creek Report

Hey,
    Got skunked wading Elkhorn Creek yesterday during the heat of the afternoon.
    I had read an article saying stream smallmouth will bite throughout the day in cool Kentucky creeks and rivers.
    Saw several other fishermen and nobody seemed to be catching any.I was near Peaks Mill at one of the VPA access points.Mainly using nightcrawlers drifted on a # 2 circle hook, but also tried a crayfish I managed to catch.
    My knees are too old to do any serious wading/hiking so I did not cover much water, but did fish hard at promising looking pools below ripples.
    Anyway,it was a glorious day and when I got hot I could just squat low in the water and cool off.
    If anyone has any tips on when and how to fish Elkhorn for Smallmouth,they would be appreciated.
    Smallmouth are my favorite fish to catch !!
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished elkhorn last Thursday in my kayak from Knights Bridge down to the hatchery. Caught 27 smallmouth but probably 20 of them were 10" or under. Biggest I caught was 14". I was highly disappointed. All of the hype about Elkhorn and full of dinks. I guess it gets a lot of pressure. I was catching them using a buzzbait and small cranks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kvonn View Post
    Hey,
    Got skunked wading Elkhorn Creek yesterday during the heat of the afternoon.
    I had read an article saying stream smallmouth will bite throughout the day in cool Kentucky creeks and rivers.
    Saw several other fishermen and nobody seemed to be catching any.I was near Peaks Mill at one of the VPA access points.Mainly using nightcrawlers drifted on a # 2 circle hook, but also tried a crayfish I managed to catch.
    My knees are too old to do any serious wading/hiking so I did not cover much water, but did fish hard at promising looking pools below ripples.
    Anyway,it was a glorious day and when I got hot I could just squat low in the water and cool off.
    If anyone has any tips on when and how to fish Elkhorn for Smallmouth,they would be appreciated.
    Smallmouth are my favorite fish to catch !!
    Kurt
    You're right, the heat and accompanying low water can make Elkhorn tough in summer.

Instead of drifting, try vertical jigging that nightcrawler under rocks, ledges, or undercut banks. The more water under the rock/ledge/bank the better, and if there's current nearby, that's a bonus.

Wait for a light rain or an overcast day and cast a small buzzbait in deep, slack water near current, or even in mild current itself.

I know the magazine author said they'll bite throughout the day, but in the heat of summer my experience is the first and last hours of daylight are much, much better than mid-day. Catch it just right and that buzzbait can be a blast at those times.

Also remember if you're hot the fish are stressed as well. I try to get them back in the water asap after unhooking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rebel wee crawfish and 3 inch tubes have been working for me. Albeit most of the fish are 8-10" smallies and spotted bass, and the occasional large rock bass. I've been fishing around VPA 2 and 3.

Post Thanks / Like
    R u all fishing from bank or kayak/canoe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chadmack282 View Post
    R u all fishing from bank or kayak/canoe?
    I wade

Post Thanks / Like
    in-line spinners and tubes will tear them up. your right though, I don't catch much size in the creek, but you will catch a ton. I'm not quite sure what se of you expect to catch in a creek that small

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn Creek report part 2

Hey,
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Info was helpful.
    Had a good day wading Friday at fish hatchery.Several sunfish & bluegill,
    2 smallmouth,maybe 11 & 12 inches.All on nightcrawler.
    Went to Dick's Sporting goods today and bought 2 small buzzbaits-will try them next time.
    Kurt