Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bank fishing for stripers

Thinking of heading to Cumberland soon, is it possible to catch stripers from the bank, either on the lake or in the tailwaters around the dam?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebco&Worms View Post
    Thinking of heading to Cumberland soon, is it possible to catch stripers from the bank, either on the lake or in the tailwaters around the dam?
    We have caught stripers on chicken liver while catfishing in Lake Cumberland,we have also caught stripers fishing shad and other baitfish off the bottom in both the lake and river at Cumberland from the bank.
    Likes aceoky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    We have caught stripers on chicken liver while catfishing in Lake Cumberland,we have also caught stripers fishing shad and other baitfish off the bottom in both the lake and river at Cumberland from the bank.
    What part of the lake were you bank fishing at for catfish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Come up to louisville and fish behind the Hydro , you croos the bridge on 28th street .... I have had great days leaving the boat behind and fishing off the bank down there .... Blue & Chrome stick baits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    Come up to louisville and fish behind the Hydro , you croos the bridge on 28th street ....
    I was fishing at Falls of the Ohio, is that what you meant? Sorry not too familiar with that area! I caught a good size flathead on a shiner and, a drum with a shad rap. Didn't see any stripers being caught though

Post Thanks / Like

I believe we were near the old Alligator II Marina location at that time,been several years,but have caught them around the mouth of Crocus Creek in the River,and around the dam area of the lake.
    Hybrids will hit chicken liver too,caught them in several lakes around the state that way and in the Ohio River.
    Likes Zebco&Worms liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Early to mid spring, and then again late winter, try off Campers Point in Wolfe Creek, or from the picnic area, camping park area at Alligator 2. Rig to use is a 3 point with about a 4 foot leader, and do use threadfin, or alewives hooked thru the back at the dorsal fin.

For grins, same areas, very early morning or late evening, especially in spring, use a slip bobber rig, with a nice long catfish float, and set depth to about 8 foot, and cast out till you thing you are in about 12-15 foot of water. I stick one of those 3 inch ting chemlights in my float so I can see what's happening to it. When the stripers are pushing and hitting bait at the surface near the bank in the spring this can work from the bank. And, its fun to watch the float with a chemlight in the dark start dancing , then dive, then partially surface and glow underwater as the stripper hits it and runs. Sounds crazy, be patient, but crazy fun when it works

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad lives in that area and has been fishing it for many years. He always told me the best time to catch Striper from the bank is in June and again right before or around Christmas.