Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me decide: New to Kayak's

Ok so I have fished out of a couple buddies kayaks and have decided to take the plunge on a cheaper yak to get my feet wet and see how I like it. My question to you guys who use them more, Is it best to get a sit on or sit in to fish creeks and rivers from?? I have only used a sit in type. Thanks fellas

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to kayak fishing! I actually just made the plunge too. My kayak delivered on Monday.

I went with the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big game II. I haven't had a chance to take it on the water yet, but I did an extensive amount of research on fishing kayaks before making my decision. I valued stability (being able to stand and fish) and versatility. Most fishing kayaks are sit on top. The open cockpit gives you more room to work with and more surface area to stand, keep fishing equipment and normally more mounting options for rod holders and fishfinders. You are more likely to get wet with a sit on top kayak though.

There are tons of sit on top fishing kayaks to choose from. I suggest going to austinkayak.com to see what's out there. This is who I ordered mine from. They have an extensive library of kayaks with specs, customer Q/A and reviews on many brands and models. Even if you choose not to order from them, it's a good place to see what's out there.

My kayak delivered undamaged and in less than a week. ACK is known for packaging their shipments well and are known for their customer service. I highly recommend them. They price match too!!

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck on your search!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Ok so I have fished out of a couple buddies kayaks and have decided to take the plunge on a cheaper yak to get my feet wet and see how I like it. My question to you guys who use them more, Is it best to get a sit on or sit in to fish creeks and rivers from?? I have only used a sit in type. Thanks fellas
    Got a sit on top last year. Let me just say the high center of gravity makes navigating rapids an interesting experience.

In other words, if I had it to do over, I'd probably get a sit-in because where I fish has lots of rapids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try several of each and determine from there what works better for you. If you have a lot of rapids, probably a sit in. Slower moving water, sit on. I have an Ocean Kayak Caper (sit on) that I've used for around 5 years. Fished Elkhorn, Licking River, several small lakes and even had it out on the Atlantic Ocean chasing stripers. I prefer the sit on cause there is more room for gear and easier to find stuff. Depth finder, rod holders, anchor are all easy to reach. The one thing you'll find, once you start fishing in one, you'll want to start customizing it for the areas you fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best thing you can do is to try out as many different kayaks as you can before you buy. I don't know where you are located but if you check out Canoe KY in Frankfort, they are located right on Elkhorn Creek and have several kayaks that you can demo.

Personally I prefer a sit on top as do 95% of the kayak fisherman I fish tournaments with. I used to fish exclusively on moving water like you are describing. I started with a sit inside and it worked just fine for getting on the water but a sit on top was just plain easier to fish from.

Post Thanks / Like
    As some others have said try as many brands and models you can before you buy. I personally like a sit on top kayak but it depends on the kind of waters you fish most. I fish mostly slow moving rivers and lakes so a sit on top works best for me. Canoe KY in Frankfort has a lot of different brands and Backwater Outfitters in Lexington is a Hobie dealer. Just try to get on the water in as many as you can and see what fits your comfort and style. If you ask 10 people what kayak they like best you'll probably get close to 10 different answers. I know alot of the paddle guys like Jackson Kayaks and the pedal drive guys like Hobies, but there are a hundred other brands in between, it comes down to fishing style, what kind of water you fish and what feels comfortable for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a sit in. I see the benefits to the sit-on-top styles from a pure fishing perspective. You can stand and cast from them and being a little higher up helps with some lure presentations.

I use my kayak also for camping out of. I think a sit in offers you a little better boat for that task.

You might try one of the native watercraft "hybrid" (my word) style boats. It is some kind of love child of a canoe, sit in and sit on top kayak. They look pretty darn versatile to me. Though expensive.

These guys aren't the big name that Jackson or or some of the other outfits are but they make a nice boat (and a really nice cooler too.) > http://vibekayaks.com/collections/kayaks Based out of Georgia I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vibe skipjack 90 is only 46lb, 9', & capacity of 330lbs that would be nice for Creek trips!

Post Thanks / Like
    lots of good info here. the one thing you need to also think about is transport. Car topping a 90lb kayak gets old REAL quick, that's why I switched to a 55lb 10ft SOT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Jackson Coosa or Cuda.. I bought a Coosa just for the Elkhorn River. Its like fishing in a lawn chair. Fairly light and stable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sit ins & SOT's...for your first I'd recommend SOT..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160506_141710.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	13211  

Post Thanks / Like
    I have & would recommend a sit on top. I don't like sitting in water. With a sit in you're going to collect water. Not much of a way around that.