Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bank Fishing Help for a New Kentuckian

I have read a lot of posts on here and wanted to give my background and ask a few questions.

I recently(March 2016), moved to the Lexington area for work from New Orleans. I am a redfish/ speckled trout fishermen my entire life. Since I have been here, I have been hard pressed to find a decent fishing spot but I like traveling around and getting to know the area. I really want to catch catfish or drum. Why Drum? Well I caught one on the green river and reminded me of home. Yea I know kind of silly but they are fun to catch. I only caught one so I dont know if it was a fluke. I don't have a boat due to my new move and don't have the proper wheels to haul a boat yet. Below I will list the spots I have fished so far and the amount of times and my observations. Please let me know what I am doing wrong or other spots I can try.

Cedar Creek Lake. I have went here about 4 times. Twice when the water was really low and twice when it has gone up. When it was low I did pretty good with bluegill and two small crappie. I used popeyes with wax worms, nightcrawlers, minnows,chicken lover and a mix of lures

Green River-Snake Creek Ramp. 4 times. I had one really good day. I also saw an alligator(No BS took a few pics and reported it to Wildlife & Fisheries). Alot of bluegill and one drum. Looks like a great area. I am concerned about fishing pressure here. Also I am not sure if right now is the time for catfish here because of spawning or location. I used nightcrawlers, chicken liver, cut bait, live bluegill, shrimp, live crawfish that I caught, mix of lures and minnows

Jacobson park-4 times all around the park. Alot of people fishing didn't like it here. Caught one small largemouth. and 2 12 inch catfish. Nightcrawlers and mix of lures.

Elkhorn Creek-at one of the VPA's. Really nice land to many canoes. Stayed 20 min. Had one large mouth chase my spinnerbait. Didn't like it here.

Boonsborough State Park- Strange area because this looks like a prime spot. One of the park rangers was really negative about fishing there and he talked down to me for fishing on the bank. I caught a few bluegills, a baby striper and a few turtles. I also had a big pull and a run on my drag but line went limp, and then got snagged. I don't know if that was a fish or a limb. I used cut bait, shrimp, nighcrawlers, liver and minnows.

Those are the spots I have been to and as you can see I am ready for professional tournaments, i am waiting to get my own signature rod and reel. HAHAHAHA.

I want to try the Meldahl Dam fishing access, Robinson Dam on the South Fork Licking River, and anywhere else that i can drive within two hours.

I have studied the Kentucky wildlife and fisheries forecasts and tried to plot out other local spots, I just don't want to waste a day in a spot that is over fished or doesn't have room to hangout for the day. Plus i really want to catch a few big ones or alot of medium sized fish. IF anyone can help me it would be great. I am also the guy who sets up his fishing area, throws the bells on the rods so I can get a trash bag out and clean the surrounding area of litter. I hate when people leave there trash. It brings flies and gives bank fishermen a bad rep. If anyone knows a good lake or river spot on private land, I am willing to do chores once or twice a month so I can fish there land the other remaining weekends.

Post Thanks / Like

Just waiting for an answer

I am just waiting to see some responses to new places myself.

But, props to you for cleaning up litter. Every time I fish Jacobson I end up cleaning up tons of garbage, too bad people love the outdoors so much that they throw all of their dip cans down.

Post Thanks / Like

No worries

It just ***** about the trash but someone has to clean it up, I don't mind doing it if it helps bank fishermen save face.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this isn't a direct answer to your question but have you thought about a kayak? I was in the same boat as you a while back and it really opened up my fishing opportunities.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of options. Taylorsville Lake. We caught 8 drums on crankbaits bass fishing yesterday out of a boat. They hit like a freight train. Some say they are freshwater version of red fish But lots of people bank fishing at chowning ramp area and even Van buren.

Also look at Beaver Lake, see people fishing around ramp area there also. mainly catfish, blue gill, bass here from bank

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was specifically targeting Freshwater Drum ... I'd go to the KY River, dig some green worms from the bank, and have at'em !!

But, it's not as simple as that ... actually ... since access points are not always on public property, and "river folk" don't always take too kindly to people digging the banks. But, if you can get permission ... green worms are your best bait option.

I'm not sure Cedar Creek Lake or Jacobson Park Lake even have any Drum ... but, it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also saw an alligator(No BS took a few pics and reported it to Wildlife & Fisheries). How big was it ?Have you tried Beaver lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacklebag23 View Post
    A couple of options. Taylorsville Lake. We caught 8 drums on crankbaits bass fishing yesterday out of a boat. They hit like a freight train. Some say they are freshwater version of red fish But lots of people bank fishing at chowning ramp area and even Van buren.

Also look at Beaver Lake, see people fishing around ramp area there also. mainly catfish, blue gill, bass here from bank

I will have to try that out that is the second time, I have heard about beaver lake and I have been eyeing taylorsville lake. I will probably hit those both up after the holiday. I miss redfishing, thats why I want to try my hand at finding some fresh drum. I know its not a popular fish to fish for but they seem like a good fighting fish. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    If I was specifically targeting Freshwater Drum ... I'd go to the KY River, dig some green worms from the bank, and have at'em !!

But, it's not as simple as that ... actually ... since access points are not always on public property, and "river folk" don't always take too kindly to people digging the banks. But, if you can get permission ... green worms are your best bait option.

I'm not sure Cedar Creek Lake or Jacobson Park Lake even have any Drum ... but, it wouldn't surprise me if they did.
    I have fished around boonesborough and havent ran into any drum yet there, but I will keep trying. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    I also saw an alligator(No BS took a few pics and reported it to Wildlife & Fisheries). How big was it ?Have you tried Beaver lake.
    6 to 7 feet. Closer to 6. I will try Beaver Lake, seems like a popular spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a ton of places to catch drum. The best drum bait is crawfish but they can crawl up under rocks if you are not careful. Rocky areas are the best places. Night crawlers and green worms are good too but good luck finding green worms when it's dry. Check out the Licking River along the Clay Farm. There are 2 places you can launch a boat and it's a WMA so the entire bank is available. I've never fished there and not caught drum. Best places are deep holes below a riffle. Wear long pants as nettles will ruin your trip quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zofishky View Post
    Wear long pants as nettles will ruin your trip quickly.
    And to that I would add .... some bug spray with high concentration of DEET, to keep the skeeters & ticks away !!