Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland Striper Update

Was down late last week for a few days and the fishing was great. Caught several really nice smallies and spots pulling shiners on planer boards along with several nice cats and stripes. All fish came on the main lake along the main creek channel in open water, the the stripes we caught seemed to be holding between 30 and 40 feet deep.

On another note I witnessed a couple of big (OH navy) boats right on top of a guide boat one morning, it looked like they literally had him surrounded apparently trolling fast with down-riggers they were running in circles around him. If you are one of these very special type of a-holes and are reading this please remember that those guys are trying to make a living out there before you start chasing them around the lake and crowding them while they have a boat full of paying clients. Sheez.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
    Was down late last week for a few days and the fishing was great. Caught several really nice smallies and spots pulling shiners on planer boards along with several nice cats and stripes. All fish came on the main lake along the main creek channel in open water, the the stripes we caught seemed to be holding between 30 and 40 feet deep.

On another note I witnessed a couple of big (OH navy) boats right on top of a guide boat one morning, it looked like they literally had him surrounded apparently trolling fast with down-riggers they were running in circles around him. If you are one of these very special type of a-holes and are reading this please remember that those guys are trying to make a living out there before you start chasing them around the lake and crowding them while they have a boat full of paying clients. Sheez.

Thanks for the report! Where do you buy the shiners?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a BP station in Jamestown that sells them. Also a Valero station on 127 about two miles north of the state park. I have been told state dock and maybe Jamestown marinas sell them. I would call and check first. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jamestown Marina had the best shiners we could find last trip, both Valero and BP had shiners but they were small and not real healthy. I did hear that the bait shop near the dam had some good ones as well but we did not drive over there.

Post Thanks / Like

Bait

On the subject of bait, any place sell Creek Chubs/Suckers? They are very hardy and I have caught many Striper with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRO V LE View Post
    On the subject of bait, any place sell Creek Chubs/Suckers? They are very hardy and I have caught many Striper with them.

I don't know of any place that sells them just have to find a Creek and throw acast net.

We messed around last summer throwing a cast net off one of the bridges in Cherokee Park in Louisville and caught some. Glad somebody mentioned it because I've forgotten all about chubs!

Post Thanks / Like

Creek chubs

A real tiny hook and Berkley crappie nibbles will fill a bucket with creek chubs in just a minute.

Post Thanks / Like

Acquiring Creek Chubs

I've found it best to just 'fish' for the Chubs in a nearby creek. I use an ultralight & a very small jig for bait. Might take a little more time but I've found it far more proficient than throwing a cast net around trees, root stumps, & large rocks.

Creek chubs do last longer this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

chubs

call justin for chubs 606-271-3127

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of sucker, why did the bait shops stop carrying them?

Lake Pointe Motel used to have them, the place at the dam used to always have them, even Bass Pro, and for sure when it was there Bandits Bait shop had them.

Then it just seem like nobody wanted to carry them. Seems they are easy to house and not too sensitive so would stay alive along time at a bait shop.

Or was it that the bait shop caught on that you could buy 12 of these and stripper fish all weekend with them?

I remember trips when I'd get 12 8-10 inch sucker, and spend a weekend fishing putting them from near surface on boards to 90 foot deep, and sometimes they'd have so many hook holes thru their nose and lips I'd ave to hook them thru the top of the back, and they were still frisky.

We got some kinda world wide shortage of suckers going on? (No pun intended for Trump supporters :-) )