Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zip lock bag. Put your phone in it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep several copies

They are just doing their job. They have actually seemed relieved the few times they have checked me and I had it.

I printed of several copies which I poor man laminate with good transparent tape. Keep a copy of the pdf on my computer and am able to reprint them when they get nasty.

So many people don't bother to get one so they have to be on the lookout. I have even seen people claim its in their truck and then when the officer volunteered to go with them to retrieve it they ended up getting caught in a lie.

I wish they could get people to follow the regs better but they have a limited budget. I see too many people not following harvesting rules and filling their cooler with all the fish they can carry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand the frustration but I would personally be happy to see game wardens on the creeks more. Being an avid smallmouth fisherman I know and have seen people keeping short fish and over creel limits but theres nothing I can do about it. I want to protect the resources we have in this great state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

But, it could have easily been avoided.

And have you ever heard the phrase "When everyone around you is an *******, maybe it's not everyone around you"?

Just saying. Maybe you just come across wrong to people?

Post Thanks / Like
    No reason to not have your license with you.
    Sorry it happened but there's no excuse to not have it
    The law is clear about that and you ignored it.
    Like said above, zip-lock bag.
    It must be frustrating to be an officer and see how
    many don't take it seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    The variety of responses are very interesting. A lot of you guys make good points. I am still pretty frustrated trying to wrap my head around everything to be honest. The majority of the frustrations have probably shifted to the business Canoe Kentucky. Before you get on the bus to leave for the creek the employees told us its one more chance to leave your belongings behind and not donate them to the creek. And, they don't say anything about there being law enforcement watching the customers. And it was clear after talking to the co-owner of canoe Kentucky that he knew they were there. And, wants them there.

imo if what they really want is to ensure people have fishing license, to make sure they have license on them, check harvest limits, check fish sizes, and to ensure that people are not drinking. Then they are going about this completely the wrong way. To put a stop to the above you could have check points at the beginning and end. Making their presence felt on the creek. And for CK telling people initially the deal and consequences.

Instead what you have is two law officers hiding in a bush with binoculars. That nobody sees unless they want to be seen. Therefore, imo it feels more like a way for the KFW to make a buck on a saturday rather than actually wanting people to obey the laws and rules of the land.

I understand that by the book I am in the wrong. However, imo how they handled it from start to end. They were not exactly in the right. Again, I think a little understanding could go a long way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash5150 View Post
    I wonder what else he could have ticketed you for when he threatened you with an additional ticket? I have utmost respect for law enforcement, but cannot stand abuse of power. My inner smart-a$$ might have called his bluff, but definitely not in front of a kid. Sorry you had a bad experience, but do not lose faith in the KDFW as a whole and certainly do not stop fishing.
    From what I understood him telling me, you can be ticketed for fishing without a license and not having a license on you. Which sounded about the same to me. But, I didn't ask. I also have a lot of respect for law enforcement. And, try to be very respectful. As I believe I was in this situation especially with the kid around. But, it didn't seem to get me too far in this situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dericksn11 View Post
    I can understand the frustration but I would personally be happy to see game wardens on the creeks more. Being an avid smallmouth fisherman I know and have seen people keeping short fish and over creel limits but theres nothing I can do about it. I want to protect the resources we have in this great state.
    I don't disagree with this at all. Living in Frankfort, public fishing waters are very limited. And what is here isn't exactly considered good fishing areas. And, just this spring I started fishing for trout stocked into Salato Wildlife area. Just to find something to pull on the line. And just being there a few day I witnessed people taking entire stringers full of trout to their car. When the limit is 10 a person if i remember correctly. I also saw people take out 10' bass and put them on the stringer. All of this happening in the KFW back yard. As their building might be 25 yards from the lake. I have also seen countless times people take out undersized brownies on the elkorn. And this is part of my point. these officers didn't seem to care about what was in my cooler. Even if it was only water, they didn't know that. Could have been 25 8in Smallmouth. This felt a lot more like a speed trap then it did in the name of conservation.

I'm all for protecting the resource for the next generation. But, I don't really know if KFW is. Or if they are more concerned with padding their pockets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bass2reds View Post
    I don't disagree with this at all. Living in Frankfort, public fishing waters are very limited. And what is here isn't exactly considered good fishing areas. And, just this spring I started fishing for trout stocked into Salato Wildlife area. Just to find something to pull on the line. And just being there a few day I witnessed people taking entire stringers full of trout to their car. When the limit is 10 a person if i remember correctly. I also saw people take out 10' bass and put them on the stringer. All of this happening in the KFW back yard. As their building might be 25 yards from the lake. I have also seen countless times people take out undersized brownies on the elkorn. And this is part of my point. these officers didn't seem to care about what was in my cooler. Even if it was only water, they didn't know that. Could have been 25 8in Smallmouth. This felt a lot more like a speed trap then it did in the name of conservation.

I'm all for protecting the resource for the next generation. But, I don't really know if KFW is. Or if they are more concerned with padding their pockets.
    If you don't know whether or not KFW is for protecting the resource for the next generation, you need to get to know KFW a little bit better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never had a bad experience with kfw,most are friendly and very respectfull. My only gripe is they will pick out a fisherman to check over a pleasure boat knowing good and well they are all drinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bass2reds View Post

This is nothing against you just more of an FYI but Elkhorn has a 12"-16" slot so you may keep fish under 12" or over 16". Most other rivers and creeks in ky are 12" min.

Post Thanks / Like

good cop, bad cop

A few years back, on the wolf river side of dale, I was trolling for crappies with small crank baits, then I was hailed by a tn game warden, [ there were two of them].One was determined to write a ticket. I had both fishing permits. They checked my live well, measured one fish[it was legal. I was wearing my PFD, had a cushion. then they asked about my fire extinguisher, it was good. And the then came silly. Where is your emergency paddle? I dont got none, wasn't going to work. But his partner said to let me go, I guess having a 60 hp motor, a 5 hp motor, a bow mount auto pilot, and a 12 volt rear electric motor, was assurance that i could handle an emergency. I fished the cumberland river so many times that the "possum cop" just waved when he saw me.