Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Frustrations with KFW

Hey guys,

I have a rant that i'd like to get off my chest. I'd like to see what some of you fishing folks think.

I was off work today and decided to take my young cousin fishing. As he is unable to be in the outdoors often if at all. So, i thought i was doing the good deed of taking a kid fishing.

The plan was to rent a canoe on the elkorn and chase little brownies. One last check, I threw a few old fishing rods in the boat locked my belongings in the car and we were off fishing. A day that started with promise turned down hill quickly.

About an hour into the trip we ran across two men standing on the bank who waved us over. As we got closer I realized it was two Kentucky fish and wildlife officers. Who asked us to get out of the boat. Searching for my wallet which has my fishing license, I remembered I left it in the truck. Which, at the time seemed to be the smart decision considering the potential of flipping the canoe (which happened a few times) and sharing it with a 10 year old boy. However, It didn't seem so smart as that ticket was being given. At which point I offered my SSN. Which, I thought every spring when i have to blurt out my social in a walmart; this would be an example of a situation of why they used it. So, they could look it up if you lost it. As I tried to explain the situation in a calm and nice manner the KFW officer told me he could write me another ticket if I wanted it. At which point i stayed silent the rest of the time as he wrote up the ticket.

Keep in mind I wasn't drinking, being loud, bothering anyone, or even harvesting fish. For the most part what I did was star the boat, untangle lines, and retie hooks. Which is expected when you take a kid fishing.

The remainder of the day was spent to get back down the creek and leave. Right before I left i thought I would do another good deed and let the ownership of Canoe Kentucky (the canoe rental place) know that KFW officers were targeting and ticketing his customers. Who were fishing or had any signs of beverages with them. This left me equally as disappointed. I thought they might want to know this as it could potentially hurt business. Instead I got an earful from the co-owner who was extremely rude. Saying he knew the officer and said he wants them out there. And, I was the one in the wrong. He almost gave the appearance that Canoe Kentucky sets up their own customers by putting KFW out there.

Having said all of that I understand that a person is supposed to carry a fishing license at all times. However, I would have hoped a little common sense and understanding would prevail. Imo that did not happen.

Most people I've talked to this afternoon have told me that once i prove that I do have a fishing permit, It will likely be removed.However, there is a part of me that says that isn't the point. A little understanding and all this could have been avoided. We have all seen people harvest undersized fish or go over the harvest limit. But, instead of targeting those people. I'm the one they are looking for?

I can tell you a few thing. First, my cousin appears to have zero interest in going fishing again. I will reconsider fishing on public Kentucky water. And, I'm very disappointed in how both the officer and the co-owner of canoe Kentucky spoke to me. I would not recommend ever using Canoe Kentucky. But i guess that's how it goes.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at.... well never mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is pretty disappointing they can't look it up electronically, although I believe they did it for my brother once.

I usually just take a picture of the license so I have a copy on my phone.
    Likes sweetwater, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Same thing happened to me when I was kayak fishing on taylorsville last year. I too left my wallet locked in the car to keep it dry. The officer was very nice about it, but still gave me a ticket. He did let me continue fishing and told me what I had to do to get the ticket waived, but it was certainly a waste of both our time and tax payer money. Seems extremely unfair to kayak/canoe users but what can ya do....make a copy of the license and keep it with you is what he recommended.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if true but I was told that the reason they require SSI number instead of just drivers license number was as a way to help track people behind on child support and not really to help with on the spot recovery.

I always buy my license online and when I do I always print off a few copies then fill each out so I always have a few extra in case I ever lose one.

When I kayak I always take a second smaller wallet which I keep in a dry bag secured to the kayak. In it I keep one fishing license my ID and a minimum of anything else I want with me.

The officer could certainly have been more pleasant about it but really he had little choice but to ticket you. It wasn't like you were bank fishing and could simply walk a few feet to retrieve it for him.

The owner of Canoe Kentucky sounds like he doesn't value his customers. If he knew they regularly check he should inform every customer of that fact so they could be prepared. If he was smart instead of being a jerk about it he would have some basic dry bags ready for sale so he could both help to better service his customers and add a few additional sales for his business, a win-win.

Sorry you had a bad day. Take the young man out again soon so this isn't the last impression of fishing left in his mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen KDFWR officers look up the license in the past. Apparently, they have chosen not to do this anymore...or at least some of them. I understand they have a job to do and not always an easy one and I respect their authority. I know they have to deal with a lot of idiots. Having said that though, there's nothing worse than having to put up with one that has an egotistical, macho or condescending attitude if you are being perfectly compliant, if that was the case here. KDFWR has appeared to have their share of internal problems lately, and some of this has been public information. I'm pulling for them to get things straightened out if this is indeed the case.

As for Canoe Kentucky, I have done business with them. My impression is that they run a business and that is that. Don't look for much hospitality or friendliness, for this doesn't seem to be their forte. If you have dealt with "Nathan" ......I'll bet you feel the same way. I'm sure they are flooded with large groups at times and can get very busy and being a "tourist" type of establishment, their primary goal is just to get you out there and collect the cash. Unfortunately, a lot of us paddling fisherman sometimes need them and merely "put up with them".

I try not to paddle that section of the Elkhorn as much as I used to. Too crowded and I think possibly over-fished. There are many, many other scenic paddling/fishing options in the state and elsewhere that offer better fishing and a lot less crowds and "bs". Just my 2¢ ...........

Post Thanks / Like
    I take my online license and put clear tape over it making it almost waterproof and I also make several copies for that very reason. When i wade fish license goes in my ball hat band,works for a few trips then i tape up another. I prefer the 3 inch tape that we use on boxes

Post Thanks / Like
    He actually has 100% discretion on whether or not to write a citation on that VERY minor violation. Verbal and written warnings are given out daily for more serious violations....

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    The officer could certainly have been more pleasant about it but really he had little choice but to ticket you.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the underlying issue with law enforcement these days. Instead of protecting the public or our natural resources, it's about revenue enhancement. I was ticketed as a kid for no life jackets once. We were running late and forgot them behind the seat of the truck. We were on a John boat with a trolling motor and were 100 yards or less from the truck. I explained and pointed to the truck saying we would go get them now. All they would have had to do was wait 5 minutes and watch us. Wasn't like we were gonna take the boat out. Instead we got a ticket and then took the boat out and left. A half hour earlier a drunk guy hit a stump and fell out of his boat. By the letter of the law they were correct but some discretion would have been nice. Now if I see a game warden out walking while hunting or fishing, he has to walk me down. If they want to check me, fine, but I'll not volunteer. They told me they had a job to do so from now on I make them do it and have yet to get another citation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ520 View Post
    He actually has 100% discretion on whether or not to write a citation on that VERY minor violation. Verbal and written warnings are given out daily for more serious violations....
    Absolutely true and applies across the board!

Post Thanks / Like

License

Hey,
    Sorry that happened to you.Of course it's at the officer's discretion whether to ticket or give a warning.
    I have a hunch that they are under pressure to write tickets as a way of increasing revenue,if not an actual "quota",
    they may get better performance evaluations if they write more tickets.If they need more money for the good things they do(especially stocking and wildlife management) I wish they would just raise the price of fishing licenses a little.
    I think $20 is cheap. considering the many hours of enjoyment I get from fishing.
    By the way,I believe you can print off as many copies of your license as you want from FW.KY.GOV website by choosing the link that says lost license and filling in your info.Doesn't matter if you bought it online or not.
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what else he could have ticketed you for when he threatened you with an additional ticket? I have utmost respect for law enforcement, but cannot stand abuse of power. My inner smart-a$$ might have called his bluff, but definitely not in front of a kid. Sorry you had a bad experience, but do not lose faith in the KDFW as a whole and certainly do not stop fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got checked Saturday night. Left my license in the truck, buddy had his. he checked our boat and everything was up to snuff. We had some jugs out that were labeled. Guy was very nice. He looked up my license by my social and the lady on the other end read it out as I could hear it. We respected him and he respected us. No ticket was given. I did offer to pull anchor and drive the quarter mile down the creek to the ramp to get the license though so that may have been what kept him from writing. not sure but I think it is up to their discretion totally like others have said. Sorry u had a bad experience but know that all KDFW guys aren't that way.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post