Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this Elkhorn Creek's Future?

http://www.kyforky.com/tubekentucky/

Charging $5 for a "water pass", encouraging drinking, welcome to the next chapter, following Canoe KY, of the commercialization of Elkhorn Creek.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Elkhorn as much as the next guy but I don't think this one-time event will hurt much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by inrll View Post
    I love the Elkhorn as much as the next guy but I don't think this one-time event will hurt much.
    If it was a one-time event, I'd agree. But I think it's not, it's a sign of what's to come. Already dealing with the trash/overfishing effects of Canoe KY, now we're going to promote Elkhorn as a spring break-ish destination.

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn future

Hey,
    I'm afraid I agree with jcb.
    This does not look like it will be a one time event.If the sponsors make money on it,they will probably
    make it an annual event, or worse, a regular event.Just my cynical opinion.
    Kurt
    Last edited by kvonn; 07-21-2016 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    See green river through Mammoth Cave. Similar deal probably on a smaller scale due to locale and the fact the river will get high pretty easily.

In summer you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a canoeing/kayaking/camping group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    See green river through Mammoth Cave. Similar deal probably on a smaller scale due to locale and the fact the river will get high pretty easily.

In summer you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a canoeing/kayaking/camping group.

And I'm okay with sharing the creek with paddlers. The problem is, and this is taken from a couple decades and a couple hundred trips to Elkhorn, that too many paddlers from Canoe KY do not respect the creek.

Yes, some ignorant fishermen do the same thing, but there is no comparison in terms of the negative impact. The sheer number of paddlers, from Canoe KY or on their own, has resulted in a trashier, overfished Elkhorn Creek.

Post Thanks / Like
    World population is growing rapidly. Information dissemination is increasing profoundly. Like everything else in life, the Elkhorn will see more use. It's really that simple. Can't stop it. Might slow it down a little though.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just one event

You have to realize the waters are going to be shared between paddlers and camping groups, Rex groups. If you want some isolated stretch for only fishing and in limited amounts then you should move to the backcountry somewhere.

In my experience fisherman are just as guilty as paddlers at muck up the stream.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say the people that destroy the stream the most are the ones that never spend time on it. They are the people that dump there garbage and what not. Hopefully the more people that use it the more people will want to protect it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonfishin View Post
    I would say the people that destroy the stream the most are the ones that never spend time on it. They are the people that dump there garbage and what not.
    I agree with this - and I think it contradicts your earlier statement about fishermen being as bad as paddlers. I think there are a lot of canoe/kayak renters who fit this category. Just going on what I've seen from wading Elkhorn 30-40 times a year the past couple decades.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've seen a huge increase in the paddle traffic on Drakes Creek in Warren County. With that has been a huge increase in trash, especially beer cans and bottles sitting on the bottom of the river. IMO most paddlers 25 years old and under don't respect the natural resource and appreciate the value of our streams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am both. I started on elkhorn in my kayak and a few years later started fishing. I can honestly say in my time me and friends always tried to leave the stream cleaner than when we found it. The canoe Kentucky people I dealt with were very much of that same mindset too.

I hope you are wrong because this stream has really grown on me.