Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonfishin View Post
    Well I am both. I started on elkhorn in my kayak and a few years later started fishing. I can honestly say in my time me and friends always tried to leave the stream cleaner than when we found it. The canoe Kentucky people I dealt with were very much of that same mindset too.

I hope you are wrong because this stream has really grown on me.
    Me too, man.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't comprehend the $5 water access charge, all of the access they are using is public, WTF is the $5 for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I just don't comprehend the $5 water access charge, all of the access they are using is public, WTF is the $5 for?
    Tube-a-Thon Water Pass

$5.00
    Have a tube already? Includes admission to Still Waters Campground and the Kentucky for Kentucky Totally Tubular Tube-a-Thon, with access to put-in and take-out spots on the Elkhorn Creek.
    The only thing I can figure is access to the campground and the the "right" to check in and tube with the group, although I don't know exactly how they would stop someone from simply showing up and tubing along on their own.

As to the general point of the thread. I think everyone has been in situations where something we once enjoyed more remotely then becomes trendy and popular and then once forced to share with the masses enjoyed less. However everyone has the same rights to enjoy our resources, not just those that came first. I can however empathize those with the frustrations that come along with that.

The ironic part is usually this is a continual process and many times we were the "new" people to others at one point when discovering new things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    The only thing I can figure is access to the campground and the the "right" to check in and tube with the group, although I don't know exactly how they would stop someone from simply showing up and tubing along on their own.

As to the general point of the thread. I think everyone has been in situations where something we once enjoyed more remotely then becomes trendy and popular and then once forced to share with the masses enjoyed less. However everyone has the same rights to enjoy our resources, not just those that came first. I can however empathize those with the frustrations that come along with that.

The ironic part is usually this is a continual process and many times we were the "new" people to others at one point when discovering new things.
    Over the years I've probably introduced a couple dozen people to Elkhorn, so I welcome new" people. My concern isn't the new people, it's the commercialization of Elkhorn. Begun by Canoe KY, it's now ramping up to the next level as Elkhorn is promoted as a "party" destination.

You think the irresponsible Canoe KY paddlers leave a lot of trash in the creek, watch what happens after a bunch of drunk tubers visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a case were F&W LEO presence will really help keep things under control. On the Current River in Missouri there is a huge tourist paddler operation going on. The river stays pretty clean because LEO are hiding all up and down the river waiting to write someone a ticket for littering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Over the years I've probably introduced a couple dozen people to Elkhorn, so I welcome new" people. My concern isn't the new people, it's the commercialization of Elkhorn. Begun by Canoe KY, it's now ramping up to the next level as Elkhorn is promoted as a "party" destination.

You think the irresponsible Canoe KY paddlers leave a lot of trash in the creek, watch what happens after a bunch of drunk tubers visit.

Don't get me wrong I completely understand and appreciate your frustration and I think most people have been there themselves at some point in their lives with someplace they enjoy. And I agree about those that liter I just got the impression from your first couple of posts that usage and over fishing was of equal concern.
    Last edited by SLP; 07-26-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Don't get me wrong I completely understand and appreciate your frustration and I think most people have been there themselves at some point in their lives with someplace they enjoy. And I agree about those that liter I just got the impression from your first couple of posts that usage and over fishing was of equal concern.
    I see what you're saying, I did mention both. And they do go hand in hand. But I can handle the overfishing as part of the shrinking world. It's the resource degradation that really gets me as the creek gets commercialized.
    Likes SLP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Canoe Kentucky opinion of this event

Just so it is known, we were approached by this group in the spring wanting us to host this event and we declined, letting them know that this creek was not capable of handling such an event. We also stressed the laws about drinking on the creek and how we could not condone it. We do feel this event is the wrong use/ promotion of the creek. I am sure F&W will have their hands full at it!
    As far as our customers go, we work very hard at not only educating our customers about leaving trash behind but by also hosting two creek cleanups a year. We also paddle the creek weekly as a team to monitor and remove all trash we can. Furthermore, we make sure that any time a tree or hazard appears on the creek we remove it for the safety of all.
    Just wanted to make clear our role in what is going on with this event. If you have concerns about how our business operates, feel free to stop by some time and listen to our "safety talks" with customers, or better yet, feel free to grab one of our team leaders and let us know how we might better serve the entire Elkhorn creek community, because we really want to. You can always call me as I would welcome any advise on what we might do better.
    Thanks
    Nathan
    502 395 1535
    Likes SLP, MagikSmallie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeky View Post
    we work very hard at not only educating our customers about leaving trash behind
    How does this happen, Nathan?

Post Thanks / Like

How does this happen?

It happens through our pre trip emails, each customer gets two, educational videos before a trip and a safety talk, access to "Clean Sweep" trash bags, signage and certain non acceptable things to bring along, like No Glass, a camp series that sees over 200 kids a summer that teaches "Leave No Trace" ethics (to educate the next generation), having 5 teams members that are LNT Master Educators, our Explore Nature Series focuses on LNT, etc.

I would love any suggestions of ways you think we might better educate our customers. Feel free to call me or email me these ideas and any suggestions so we may discuss and make things better for all. We fully appreciate and respect the opinions of the fishing community and want to make sure we are working hard for them as well!
    Nathan
    nathan@canoeky.com
    Likes SLP, Wormin, PRO V LE, kstonich, inrll and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the TUBE-A-THON has come and gone. I'm curious if there were any reported issues when all was said and done?
    Likes Denver1911 liked this post