Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Peabody WMA - Bass

I searched for previous posts about Peabody WMA and the vast majority of them were about bluegill, crappie or catfish. Very little about bass. Does this mean bass fishing isn't good there?

I was planning on taking my little brother to mammoth cave NP to float the green and do some fishing, but the weather doesn't look good. Supposed to rain most of the week leading up and then more rain this weekend. I can fish in the rain, but if the river is a mess, it would be a waste. Depending on how the weather plays out, I might change gears and take him to Peabody. I've never been, so any insight on what to expect would be great. My little brother will be borrowing my wife's kayak... He's in highschool and is really interested in fishing, but hasn't really had anyone to take him out and teach him more than the standard bobber fishing. Hoping for a good experience, so I can gain a fishing buddy.

Also, is camping allowed? It will nearly be a 3 hour drive for us. Would like to get down there the night before so we can hit the ponds at first light.

Thanks all! I know I've been asking a lot of questions on this board recently, but with all the help and awesome advice I've gotten on previous posts, this place has become my go to for fishing info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to fish them all the time when I lived up there. South lake and Island lakes are the best, as well as the Twin Tiles lakes. The lakes are clear and have a lot of vegetation, top waters early and shallow cranks and c rigs where there is little grass. Dont know about camping and you have to have a Peabody permit to fish there. They are good lakes but the heat might make it tough. Good luck and be careful some of these pits are very deep like over 100 ft in some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bobby.
    I've never fished pits before. Also don't fish clear lakes often. Thanks for the tips!
    Likes kstonich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Peabody WMA

The lakes will NOT be clear right now though. Several flood watches and warnings so expect high water and stained-dirty water clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update Nick... I've actually changed plans due to the weather and am heading up to Greene-Sullivan State Forest in Indiana... Similar situation there... lots of strip pits. But the weather is supposed to be more favorable. Will try and hit Peabody maybe in the early fall.