Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jacobson Park catfish

With the creek being to hot, and fishing in the lakes slow, I saw that KYDFW is stocking Jacobson with some more catfish in a couple of days here. Going to try and see if I can get some of them.

Never caught much catfish, any tips or pointers?
    Anyone eat the stocked catfish before? Any good?

I have taken my fair share of the trout, and personally I didn't think they were anything special, hoping the catfish tastes better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the best eating fish but they are ok. Don't keep the big ones, they just taste like mud. Up to about a ten pounder are pretty good. Just remember they are mostly head so a 12-13 inch fish doesn't have a lot of meat on it. Just assume that is what hey are stocking is why I say that.

Post Thanks / Like
    KY Afield had a program air I believe about what kind of cats they stock in the FINS lakes and I believe they were a hybrid blue/channel so they spend energy growing and not reproducing. Ive fished the park this week and it is low right now but I saw a guy catch a cat off a live minnow that was about 15 inches long. Ive had luck with the basic liver and night crawlers. If you want to have some fun the lake is overrun with carp you can have a ball catching them off corn bait or carp balls homemade. I watched a guy 2 years ago catching them so fast off corn he couldn't shake them off. They were small around a couple pounds but there are some hawgs in there.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    I've caught many of the Trout, and several tagged ones ... and they tasted OK. They just weren't as "rich tasting" as the Rainbows I've caught from below Wolf Creek Dam.
    Now, I've also tried to catch some of the cats they stocked, but only seem to come up with Bullheads for some reason. LOL !!

The only thing I've heard about people catching the stocked cats, was that they seem to bite best shortly after being dumped into the lake and a few days afterwards. I did hear of some guys catching them on white bread ... just balled up on the hook.

I tried chicken livers a few times, after seeing some foreign speaking gentlemen killing the cats with it ... but, to date, the only fish I've caught on the livers has been Trout ... LOL !! Tried corn, but the small Bluegill pecked it off so fast that the other fish never had a chance at finding it. Pieces of nightcrawler threaded on the hook produced Trout and Bullheads and the occasional Carp, but no stocked cats (for me, anyway).

I'd be interested in hearing a full report on your trip, good or bad, if you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    If you want to have some fun the lake is overrun with carp you can have a ball catching them off corn bait or carp balls homemade. I watched a guy 2 years ago catching them so fast off corn he couldn't shake them off. They were small around a couple pounds but there are some hawgs in there.

Shawn
    I agree, the carp definitely bite better than anything else in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went out there today and the lake is back up close to normal. The fish were busting topwater everywhere with the lake cooling off from the rain. I think I saw a trout come out a foot after busting something in front of me. I casted like a mad man with no luck on that school of fish. Hope someone else has better luck than I did today.

Shawn