Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Catfishing the Falls of the Ohio

I've been fishing the Falls pretty regularly now for about 2 years. Its been a welcome break on the weekends from school and I seriously enjoy fishing over there. I've also been fishing it a lot this summer but with school starting in a few weeks, time is running out fast since I'm leaving for college and won't be back to fish it until the sauger run in December.

Here's a few questions I have off the top of my head:

1.) What are some tips you have for upping my game and getting into some bigger cats? 99% of the time all I can manage to catch are channels in the 8-15" range and nothing bigger. Every once in a while I get lucky and pull in something in the 5-15lb range, but its only happened three times in 2 years. I normally fish Team Catfish Sudden Impact bait, but seeing as it only seems to attract the little guys I've tried cut skipjack and gizzard, but it seems like nothing ever touches it (except those softshell turtles, which I can't keep away from the cutbait).

2.) Where are the best spots over there to catch big catfish? I normally fish the back eddy right where the bank transitions from rock to mud. I've pulled in a few decent cats from there but the turtles are everywhere and keep stealing my bait. I'm a little hesitant to try any closer to the dam due to all the snags, and with my limited budget I can't afford to lose too much gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never fished there but I like a live 3-5 inch bluegill for big cats. Hook him through the top of the back. Work pretty well anywhere I have been!!