Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River Walleye?

Wondering if anyone targets Walleye or Sauger in the river. I have caught only one while fishing for
    trout on a Zebra Midge of all things. There is probably a resident population. I doubt all of them return to
    Dale Hollow after the spawn.

I did catch my first 2 smallies on the river last week. Smaller side, around 12-14 inches.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are like any other walleye. Jigs, spoons, rapalas. My buddy got one a few weeks ago and thought it was the state record or maybe the river record. It was 16 pounds! Still 5 short of the state record. So you know if there are fish that big in there the population is doing well

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a picture of this 16lb walleye! Would love to see it.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Buzzy,
    Did your friend catch that right by the dam at wolf creek? If so, I just talked to a guy there last week who told me about it.

I heard the sauger population has went downhill on the river since Cordell Hull quit stocking them, not sure on that one. I haven't ever heard much about any stocking programs for Sauger.

We make it down there 1-2 times a year and since the wife loves to do the trout fishing that is mostly what we stick to when we are on the river. I have only caught 3 eyes there in the past 3 years, 2 bottom bouncing and 1 on a crankbait, all times I was fishing for them. Considering the lack of time I have been able to put into in relation to the small success I have had I would be willing to bet there is a decent population in there. I did witness a guy floating right next to us net a 9lber once, which was pretty neat.

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, Walleye cannot get to Dale Hollow from the river unless they can climb a dam. Second, it depends on how they are generating and if bait is coming through the dam, if the walleyes are up there. Right now they are more down stream in the deeper holes. fw.ky is not planning to stock sauger in the river{interferes with trout unlimited's toys}.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rooster

You ever been to Bright Leaf Golf Course?

Post Thanks / Like
    No. Don't play the game, but if they have a good water trap, I might sneak in to catch a few green carp. lol
    Live about 4 miles from the Wolf Creek Dam so I spend my time there or on the lake after the lake lice leave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WalleyeBen.jpg 
Views:	1012 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	13584

Here ya go. Not my Fish. There are big ones in there. Wolf Creek Dam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WalleyeBen.jpg 
Views:	1012 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	13584

Here ya go. Not my Fish. There are big ones in there. Wolf Creek Dam
    HOLY ****.

Post Thanks / Like

cumberland river walleyes

Since I can't fish thetre anymore, I'll give you a tip. Go at night, as close to the dam as possible. Use suspending stick baits, rouges, rapallas.And don't use the smallest ones.Clown , and gold and red work well. You may not get a limit, but you will get a few quality fish, and maybe a nice big brown trout.And be very carefull. I needed to drive from the dam, to clinton county hospital to have a treble hook removed from my hand, it was about 0100,and they needed to use MY wire cutters to remove the hook.That happened when a husky walleye went berserk when I was removing it from the net. Those rouges have 3 very sharp trebble hooks, I was able to cut the split ring and not have the bait dangling from my hand.If they are not generating, don't bother fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    ****!!! Nice walleye
    Im lucky to just catch a 15 inch one. I wouldnt know what yo do with myself if i hung into that beast

Post Thanks / Like

walleyes

When csting stick baits, look for eddys, where the water changes direction, cast your lures so that they are working through the eddy.I've fished from the bank, and from a boat, I neber fished from a boat alone at night, and kept my 4 stroke kicker always on. at night I'd nevdr drift further than the boat ramp, and then motor or troll back to the dam.