Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River out of Bukresville area ramp

Been trying to figure out how to trout fish. Using spin rod fly rod and stink bait rig. Not much on tying to the bank an bottom fishing.
    Throwing rooster tails, see lot of 6/9 inch trout behind the bait, maybe boat one each trip.
    Stink bait seems to produce drifting it 9/11 ft not really my cup of tea.
    I watch the top water activity then try fly rod. Don't think my choice of flies are on.
    Really like some go too flies those of u so inclined

Times, type of bank all or any info tips appreciated. Been lots of current last couple weeks seems to slow down 3/4 pm

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Rick

You know i used to fish the river quite a bit around burkesville.i had a lot of success using jigs.I used a 1/16 oz single wire weedless head and avoided the curly tail ones.My favorite colorstended to be brown or grey. the bait shop in celina has the best selection of ig heads. I used 10lb spider wire and a leader of 8 lb flouro, about 6 ft long. I used ultra light 7 ft rods for casting the jigs, I would cast up stram and let the jig drift down tillit passed the boat.I generaly fised from goose creek down to rhe bridge on the east side of the river.I also used crawfish colored small frenzy baits[looks like a shad rap, costs less] I used tho cut off the front treble hook to help avoid the snags. Also used 'super doopers" In the shallow runs Always cast up stream and keep your baits from snaggng bu holding the rod tip up. It broke my heart when they were working on the dam and lowered the river. But when the artritis got so bad i couldn't get into or out of the boat, I gave it all up. I also trolled shad raps and frenzys. Dont over look the shallow stretches, the bows will be there, they will be smaller fish, but they will jump like crazy when hoooked. From now till the leaves fall was my favorite time, of course the morning fog can be a problem. Sure missed that river fishing, good luck.Who knows someday you might get hooked on those big gills that dale has.

Post Thanks / Like

punisher jig heads

that bait shop in celina tn has the best selection of jig heads, the soft plastics are better if they have scent cooked into them.In the faster current I went to a 1/8 jig head. Try to keep the baits no longer 21/2 inches. the fly fishing is hard to do if you fish alone, even with my auto pilot I was going crazy trying to control the speed of the fly.I din't like to tie up either, and did a lot of trolling using shad raps in 7 or 8 ft of water. In the skinny water pin minnow baits worked well

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick,

I fish there often....more than i probably should. If you want two flies that I throw at rising trout are #1 Black wolly bugger with a Black cone head #2 White clouser with a little red in it for gills. Im not a dry guy like I should be but I have caught some really nice fish doing that. Good Luck I'm in the little green/white wood boat.

Post Thanks / Like

info appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    You know i used to fish the river quite a bit around burkesville.i had a lot of success using jigs.I used a 1/16 oz single wire weedless head and avoided the curly tail ones.My favorite colorstended to be brown or grey. the bait shop in celina has the best selection of ig heads. I used 10lb spider wire and a leader of 8 lb flouro, about 6 ft long. I used ultra light 7 ft rods for casting the jigs, I would cast up stram and let the jig drift down tillit passed the boat.I generaly fised from goose creek down to rhe bridge on the east side of the river.I also used crawfish colored small frenzy baits[looks like a shad rap, costs less] I used tho cut off the front treble hook to help avoid the snags. Also used 'super doopers" In the shallow runs Always cast up stream and keep your baits from snaggng bu holding the rod tip up. It broke my heart when they were working on the dam and lowered the river. But when the artritis got so bad i couldn't get into or out of the boat, I gave it all up. I also trolled shad raps and frenzys. Dont over look the shallow stretches, the bows will be there, they will be smaller fish, but they will jump like crazy when hoooked. From now till the leaves fall was my favorite time, of course the morning fog can be a problem. Sure missed that river fishing, good luck.Who knows someday you might get hooked on those big gills that dale has.

I think the river fishing is a little more technical, and your help and the others who have taken time to share is greatly appreciated So with the advice of u and others Ill certainly improve much quicker. Thanks to u an others

Post Thanks / Like

Gills ?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    Rick,

I fish there often....more than i probably should. If you want two flies that I throw at rising trout are #1 Black wolly bugger with a Black cone head #2 White clouser with a little red in it for gills. Im not a dry guy like I should be but I have caught some really nice fish doing that. Good Luck I'm in the little green/white wood boat.
    Are u referring to bluegills in the river?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	13596

Just a little red so it look gills on a fish. I like tying my bigger ones with circle hooks. Also I use hackle but a clouser is what I call it for the PC Fly Master knows the general style of the fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	13596

Just a little red so it look gills on a fish. I like tying my bigger ones with circle hooks. Also I use hackle but a clouser is what I call it for the PC Fly Master knows the general style of the fly.
    y

Ok gotcha
    I can order that on Amazon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickhise View Post
    Been trying to figure out how to trout fish. Using spin rod fly rod and stink bait rig. Not much on tying to the bank an bottom fishing.
    Throwing rooster tails, see lot of 6/9 inch trout behind the bait, maybe boat one each trip.
    Stink bait seems to produce drifting it 9/11 ft not really my cup of tea.
    I watch the top water activity then try fly rod. Don't think my choice of flies are on.
    Really like some go too flies those of u so inclined

Times, type of bank all or any info tips appreciated. Been lots of current last couple weeks seems to slow down 3/4 pm

Thanks for your help

Up north fishing Steelhead, we used either a black ant fly or a 1/64 oz. black marabou jig tipped with a maggot, under a float, with just enough split shot for the current your fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick, I would also have a Muskie/Striper rod in the boat with a trout colored swimbait or large musky lure tied on. When that 50# Striper blows up on a trout or Skippie you want to be ready.
    Likes Bobby Headrick, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I used bluegill/redear jigs with fair success when I went over there. Something that kind of looks like a bug. Had it on a 1/64 oz jig head.

Cast up stream and bring it back to you close to the bottom.

Folks say don't bother fishing without current but we were in kayaks and would have been able to fish that way while generating. Probably missed out on bigger fish by fishing up near the dam but we had fun and caught our fish.