Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Downrigging At Lake Cumberland ?

Anyone successful catching Stripers on downriggers yet ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Two weeks a friend of mine did well one day and not so we'll tell next.
    Likes striperjoe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used slide divers the last few weeks with good success. I've been fishing by myself so I've only needed two each day. Last week they came on the north shore. 70-80 ft of water 45-65 down. I've missed around 15 the last two weekends. I am switching to braid instead of mono this weekend to see if it helps the hook up rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    I've used slide divers the last few weeks with good success. I've been fishing by myself so I've only needed two each day. Last week they came on the north shore. 70-80 ft of water 45-65 down. I've missed around 15 the last two weekends. I am switching to braid instead of mono this weekend to see if it helps the hook up rate.
    Thanks Duane!

Post Thanks / Like

trolling

If you don't mind sharing what are you pulling?

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have a few Gizz 4 baits so I have one of those on. It still gets the most hits. Two have\had a .25 oz Alabama rig with twister tails as teasers and .5 bucktails for stingers. The other, a single bucktail. I lost one of my Alabama rigs so I just purchased two more. I hope they work as well as I can't figure out where I bought the first two. I hate when I find something that works and I don't document it right. LOL

I'm pulling two outside lines on the six setting. I plan to move the A rigs up to those. I'll pull the Gizz 4 or maybe a spoon on the deeper lines as well as a .5 bucktail. All baits have been hit at one point or another.

I am running their ultimate depth options so with braid I'll be able to get .5 ft deep for every ft out. Even I can calculate that. Ha!

Really, you find some fish with bait around and they are probably going to hit just about anything. The single bucktail has been hit so much that I look at it and wonder why in the heck anything would try to eat it. I'll keep it out until they stop hitting it or I lose it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have a few Gizz 4 baits so I have one of those on. It still gets the most hits. Two have\had a .25 oz Alabama rig with twister tails as teasers and .5 bucktails for stingers. The other, a single bucktail. I lost one of my Alabama rigs so I just purchased two more. I hope they work as well as I can't figure out where I bought the first two. I hate when I find something that works and I don't document it right. LOL

I'm pulling two outside lines on the six setting. I plan to move the A rigs up to those. I'll pull the Gizz 4 or maybe a spoon on the deeper lines as well as a .5 bucktail. All baits have been hit at one point or another.

I am running their ultimate depth options so with braid I'll be able to get .5 ft deep for every ft out. Even I can calculate that. Ha!

Really, you find some fish with bait around and they are probably going to hit just about anything. The single bucktail has been hit so much that I look at it and wonder why in the heck anything would try to eat it. I'll keep it out until they stop hitting it or I lose it.
    Thanks for the reply I've been dying to go but have been waiting for the weather to ease up just a little. And it looks like we have turned the corner , just hope I get to go before work gets to busy.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking into getting the slide divers, when you say ultimate depth options are you referring to the 7 oz ring?? What speed can you troll and still get that deep ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it's the ultimate ring and weight set. I run two of those on setting 2.

http://slidediver.com/store/index.ph...&product_id=50

The outside divers use the 4 oz weight and large ring on setting . Using the small ring or no ring works better if you are fishing 18 ft deep and up. Then I'll just use the outside divers and go with umbrella rigs out the back.

I troll at 2.8 only because my current rig can't go as low as 2.3 on it's own which is where i would much rather be. I've used socks but boat control goes out the window when I put socks out. So I live with 2.8 and go into the wind as much as possible.

I use green on the starboard side and orange on the port side so it's easy for me to know which divers go where. 70-100 ft out before closing the diver on the outside and 30-50 on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it's the ultimate ring and weight set. I run two of those on setting 2.

http://slidediver.com/store/index.ph...&product_id=50

The outside divers use the 4 oz weight and large ring on setting . Using the small ring or no ring works better if you are fishing 18 ft deep and up. Then I'll just use the outside divers and go with umbrella rigs out the back.

I troll at 2.8 only because my current rig can't go as low as 2.3 on it's own which is where i would much rather be. I've used socks but boat control goes out the window when I put socks out. So I live with 2.8 and go into the wind as much as possible.

I use green on the starboard side and orange on the port side so it's easy for me to know which divers go where. 70-100 ft out before closing the diver on the outside and 30-50 on the inside.
    Thanks for the info !!! Do you run the regular diver or the lite bites?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to all that have provided thanks...

The light bites are the only way to go. You can't pop those things off from up top if they get something on the front of them. A leaf will gather right where the arm snaps in keeping it from tripping if you pull from the top. The back arm will still trip the front arm even if it has something on it.

I would not want to try to pull a fish in without those things tripped. They are tough when you can't trip them without a fish on it.

Again, I am switching to 50# power pro braid this weekend so it's a new learning curve.

Didn't intend to make this a slide diver thread as the OP was asking about down riggers, but I am leaving my down riggers off this year and going this route instead. So I kinda consider this my down rigging and I think the trolling info provided goes for riggers as well.

I can start a new thread if the OP would rather keep this strictly about down rigging. It looks like people are really interested in the divers.. Ha! I don't blame them, they are fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bronco View Post
    I've been looking into getting the slide divers, when you say ultimate depth options are you referring to the 7 oz ring?? What speed can you troll and still get that deep ?
    Another tip..

I figure I was getting 60+ down with what I was doing two weekends ago. I ran across a wad of bait with fish in them at 70 ft. I moved up some then cut to idle. This let the baits drop. After about 20 seconds I went to idle again and told my wife I was getting ready to hook up. Five seconds later, Bam.

So you can cover deeper water than what you are set at by cutting to idle. I do the same thing on my down riggers and umbrella rigs.
    Likes Dobe Mejuwa liked this post