Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Topwater Lure

I was out fishing at an extremely pressured pond over the weekend and tied on a spook for the first time ever and was able to get some hits. It was my first time "walking the dog" and I was actually able to get it to walk pretty well. From those couple hours fishing it, it instantly became my favorite topwater lure.

#1 Super Spook Jr.
    #2 Black buzzbait

What are your favorite top water lures??
    Likes DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends on the time of year, the body of water and the type of fish you are fishing for. In streams during the summer, a big popper of some kind that throws a lot of water is just irresistible to smallmouths. In the spring and fall, a wake bait will get destroyed by smallies. If you want a big striper or walleye, a big wake bait(like the now obsolete Smack Jack) at night will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sammy............in open water, over ledges, or close to structure.

Grass Frog/buzz frog over grass or pads.

Man, is it that time yet .

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second the Sammy but also like the SPit'n Image pretty good for walking!! I got a big Popr called a Knuckle head that I like really well too!!! As a kid I caught a ton of fish on a tiny torpedo so it will always hold a soft spot in the ole heart.
    Likes GeoFisher, dikgee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGhostMan View Post
    I was out fishing at an extremely pressured pond over the weekend and tied on a spook for the first time ever and was able to get some hits. It was my first time "walking the dog" and I was actually able to get it to walk pretty well. From those couple hours fishing it, it instantly became my favorite topwater lure.

#1 Super Spook Jr.
    #2 Black buzzbait

My favorite topwater lure is a black jitterbug with rusty hooks, being worked slowly along a farm pond weed line, fishing with my Dad in 1977.
    Likes GeoFisher, RiverRunt, jkelley1487 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They're all my favorite. LOL

As for "Spook" type baits:
    Hard to beat a Sammy, but I like the Strike King Sexy Dawg and Sexy Dawg Jr too.

For "Poppers":
    Lobina Ricos are pretty sweet and flat out catch fish, but they are ridiculously expensive at about $25. I've got a couple and won't hesitate to cut down a tree if I need to get one back. LOL They work. They work well. Some of the old Rebel Pop-Rs that they don't make any more were real good too.

I've never been much of a topwater "prop" plug guy....as for the Torpedos and what not.

Something I've used a little this year that I like is the Jackall Pompadour and Pompadour Jr...also ridiculously expensive...but some pretty good action with metal "wings" that can be brought back real slow. Similar to a Jitterbug or Jointed Jitterbug. I like different stuff that everybody and their brother doesn't throw. They're also about $20 bucks and there's a 4 pounder swimming around at my club lake with one of mine probably still stuck in his jaw. UGH. He crushed it, I set the hook, line broke...and I watched him jump for 10 minutes all over the area trying to throw it. Could hear the wings clapping. LOL

I've got a Whopper Plopper Jr, but haven't thrown it yet.

Love topwater frogs. SPRO are my go to. Both the large size and the small, popping and non-popping versions.

And buzzbaits...what can I say? Awesome. I keep it simple with 1/4 and 1/2 ounce Booyah Buzzbaits in white or black that have the clacker on them. I'll fish a trailer hook most times and sometimes dress it with a soft plastic trailer of some kind.

Lastly...look up the Hire Lures BuzzWalker. Justin is here on Fishin.com and makes these. It's an inline buzzbait that you fish in front of your favorite topwater soft plastic. (My go to is the Zoom Horny Toad) These things are killer. It's like a weedless buzzbait in 4-wheel drive that you can fish over the nastiest kind of cover imaginable.
    Likes GreenGhostMan, SecretWeapon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll third the Sammy. It just elicits the most vicious strikes and I catch so many big fish on it. Got my son out last month and tossed the sammys that last hour before dark and he got a 5 lb LM -- gotta love a sammy...

kc
    Likes GeoFisher, Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    They're all my favorite. LOL

And buzzbaits...what can I say? Awesome. I keep it simple with 1/4 and 1/2 ounce Booyah Buzzbaits in white or black that have the clacker on them. I'll fish a trailer hook most times and sometimes dress it with a soft plastic trailer of some kind.

Lastly...look up the Hire Lures BuzzWalker. Justin is here on Fishin.com and makes these. It's an inline buzzbait that you fish in front of your favorite topwater soft plastic. (My go to is the Zoom Horny Toad) These things are killer. It's like a weedless buzzbait in 4-wheel drive that you can fish over the nastiest kind of cover imaginable.
    Splitshot, you ever use one of the old Blue Fox tandem buzzbaits? Absolute killer for smallmouth.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Any popper really gold color works well
    2. Hollow body frogs
    3. Buzz bait

Post Thanks / Like
    MrSplitShot

Awesome stuff... A lot of the tackle you mentioned is out of my price range right now, otherwise I'd go out today and pick some of it up. I love topwater!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGhostMan View Post

#1 Super Spook Jr.
    #2 Black buzzbait

Is someone acting like they are me? Lol
    Last edited by bigwormy; 09-14-2016 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Not finished
    Likes GreenGhostMan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For largemouth: Scum Frog, none of those other gimmicks. Just the old Scum frog.