Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If you THINK you're safe at a state park....Don't......

On September 17th, 2016, at about 11:00pm EST, my wife and I experienced an extreme threat while visiting Ken Lake State Park facilities.

We were staying in the 1 room Cottages on Marina Drive , Cottage 286.

As we had prepared for bed that night, I heard a knock at the door, and went to the door to see who was there. No one responded, when I asked who was there, so I left it alone. A few minutes later, someone was pounding on the door. This time, I opened the door, and told the guy he had the wrong cabin, and he needed to leave.

At this point, he attempted to force his way into the Cabin. Fortunately, I'm much bigger. I had my wife call 911, while I held back the intruder who was AGGRESSIVELY attempting to get into our cabin. All the while, he's screaming that he is going to kill me and my wife. VERY CLEARLY, and I heard what I heard, he was screaming he's going to kill us both.

After calling 911 and them hanging up on us numerous times, I had my wife, continue calling 911 and also call on my cell phone to your front office. While the front office person, Katie, or Kathy, or something of the such was helpful, she informed me there was pretty much nothing she could do except call 911, which I believe she did.

For a full 20-25 minutes, I held this Intruder back from getting into the cabin. He attempted multiple times to kick the door in. I think my sheer size, and the fact that I effectively blocked it from the inside is the only thing that kept him out.

After 20 minutes or so, a property maintenance supervisor showed, up and was able to diffuse the situation.

Police showed up about 10 minutes later.

My wife and I were shaken to the core, and packed up and left.........

Takeaways:

* If you think you're safe, don't.
    * I didn't have a gun, or any other protection. That will NEVER happen again.....NEVER.
    * I would have not shot him, but it would have been nice to have had the option.
    * There is ZERO security at the State Parks, and their response was laughable
    * Good ole boy networks that don't arrest people who threaten the lives of others.....****.

* I really miss staying at my go to place. I just might have to buy the **** place to be safe.

Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

George you need to buy a gun and get a carry permit like me

George I'm glad you are OK and didn't get hurt. I would highly recommend getting a carry pistol and take a couple of NRA type classes in concealed carry and basic handgun.

I had a similar experience may years ago while up in Ontario Canada at the Finn & Feather Fishing Camp. Some of the local Indians that lived near the cabins we rented were drinking one night and one got drunk and starting beating on his two kids. The kids ran to our cabin and banged on our door at 2 am. Dad opened the door and the kids bolted into the cabin and wanted us to hide them from their drunk father. The Beer up there has a higher alcohol content and he was seen earlier that afternoon carrying a entire case of beer back to his home. He walked right in front of our cabin with that case of beer. Before that we saw him carrying a empty case of beer bottles back to the store before he bought the new case. Anyway we were scared that their father would try to bust into our cabin and shoot us. The two Indian kids said he was going to shoot them with his gun which is why they ran away and hid in our cabin. I guess he never saw where the kids went and he never showed up at our cabin. But we were hiding under the beds without any weapons and with no telephone or cell phones to call for help. It was a long night.

I always owned a rifle and a shotgun from the time I was about 8 years old and old enough to hunt squirrels in the woods by myself. Before that I owned a BB gun air rifle. I hunted rabbits and birds with the BB gun. So I learned to shoot at a young age. All the boys in my neighborhood grew up hunting and fishing. My dad fished but he didn't hunt. The other dads were all hunters and they took me under their wing and taught me how to shoot a shotgun etc.

When I got older I sold my shotgun and got married. I didn't hunt for a long time while I was married. We went camping and water skiing all the time but I only got to fish a little. Fished for trout in the Smokey Mountains.

Well about two or three years ago I thought I'd get back into hunting and purchased an AR15 for hunting and shooting at the rifle range. That was a lot of fun until I decided to by a pistol. I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of different types of pistols. I read where the local sheriff of Vanderburgh County decided to arm all his men with 9 mm pistols instead of the 40 or 45 cal. He said it was cheaper to train with 9 mm and that the FBI did a study that concluded that overall for police work the 9 mm was the best cal when you consider both costs and lethality of the ammo. Todays 9 mm ammo is much better and more lethal than those of the past. Hornady Critical Duty is good stuff and very lethal too. They train with cheaper ammo on a weekly basis. So going to the 9 mm help them hold down the ammo cost.

So I decided to buy a 9 mm pistol. I then needed to find the right pistol. I ended up buying a Walther's PPQ M2 9mm 4" barrel. I'm so glad that I bought this gun. It turns out that it's a great pistol. Now there are a lot of other great handguns out there. So you will hear from many others. I started carrying this new Walthers PPQ with to the rifle ranges and back but could not carry it legally until I got my IN carry permit. It cost about $150 plus another $509 at the local County Sheriffs Office to get my Permit and it only took me two weeks to get it in the mail. The best thing I ever did was get a hand gun and a permit to carry it with me every where I go.

The PPQ is a medium sized hand gun and it holds about 15 to 17 rounds in a double stack magazine. I got an Alien Gear Inside the Waist Belt Holster ( Cloak Tuck 2 and the Cloak OWB Holster a leather/Kydex hybrid holster as a two for one package). I like many others tried a few other types of carry holsters for my PPQ.

I then thought I would buy a smaller pistol for every day carry. I did the research and added a Ruger LC9S Pro to my collection. I carried that pistol with me every where I went. It's a great little pistol and easy to hide. I wore it with my Alien Gear Cloak Slide OWB Hybrid Holster. This holster is leather backing with two loops that your belt goes though and it has a custom made Kydex holder for your gun. And the Kydex is replaceable for almost any type of gun. Check out the:
    http://aliengearholsters.com/

I got to thinking that I might need more ammo so I got some extra magazine holders to clip onto my belt. I carry two extra magazine of ammo with me now. The little Ruger only holds 7 rounds so I went back to carrying the PPQ which holds 17 rounds with one in the chamber.

I got a new Stealthgear FLEX OWB holster for my PPQ.

http://stealthgearusa.com/

They didn't have one for the Ruger LC9S Pro gun that I have. So I went back to carrying my PPQ again. The new holster is much better than the Alien Gear Cloak Slide OWB Holster as it's much more comfortable and it breaths better than the leather/kydex holster from Alien Gear. The Alien Gear holster is very comfortable with the little Ruger in it. The Ruger has a 3" long barrel and it more easily concealed in the summer time. But the PPQ shoots a lot better.

I practice shooting at 25 yards and have gone though over a thousand rounds in the last two years now.

You are lucky that you were able to keep the bad guy out of your cabin. I would have shot the SOB myself if he tried to harm my family or broke into my house.

I'm not sure what the laws are in KY but here in IN we can shoot someone if they break into our home. Better to be safe than sorry or dead yourself.

Every day I read in the local news papers where someone is shot or attacked by someone with a gun. So now I sleep with my PPQ next to me in my bed. It's loaded and ready to go. And if that won't stop the AR15 is fully loaded with M855 5.56 rounds in a couple of 30 round Magpul magazines. I use to also have a tactical Remington 870 Twelve Gage Shotgun loaded with 5 rounds of lead slugs.

Do some research and take some NRA approved shooting classes and buy yourself a gun.

PS: stop making people on the internet mad at you. LOL J/K

So what did the police do with that gun?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    On September 17th, 2016, at about 11:00pm EST, my wife and I experienced an extreme threat while visiting Ken Lake State Park facilities.

As we had prepared for bed that night, I heard a knock at the door, and went to the door to see who was there. No one responded, when I asked who was there, so I left it alone. A few minutes later, someone was pounding on the door. This time, I opened the door, and told the guy he had the wrong cabin, and he needed to leave.

At this point, he attempted to force his way into the Cabin. Fortunately, I'm much bigger. I had my wife call 911, while I held back the intruder who was AGGRESSIVELY attempting to get into our cabin. All the while, he's screaming that he is going to kill me and my wife. VERY CLEARLY, and I heard what I heard, he was screaming he's going to kill us both.

After calling 911 and them hanging up on us numerous times, I had my wife, continue calling 911 and also call on my cell phone to your front office. While the front office person, Katie, or Kathy, or something of the such was helpful, she informed me there was pretty much nothing she could do except call 911, which I believe she did.

For a full 20-25 minutes, I held this Intruder back from getting into the cabin. He attempted multiple times to kick the door in. I think my sheer size, and the fact that I effectively blocked it from the inside is the only thing that kept him out.

After 20 minutes or so, a property maintenance supervisor showed, up and was able to diffuse the situation.

Takeaways:

* I didn't have a gun, or any other protection. That will NEVER happen again.....NEVER.
    * I would have not shot him, but it would have been nice to have had the option.
    * Good ole boy networks that don't arrest people who threaten the lives of others.....****.

* I really miss staying at my go to place. I just might have to buy the **** place to be safe.

Oh well.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Takeaways:

Oh well.
    Seems there should be more to the story. Was the guy drunk? Never met him before? Why did he want in your cabin? What does 'diffuse the situation' mean? He get arrested?

Unless the guy was drunk or something, most would just knock his running lights out...or worse.

Doubt I would get violent with just me there, but put the wife or daughter on the scene and an Alabama redneck is liable to get off his chain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    Seems there should be more to the story. Was the guy drunk? Never met him before? Why did he want in your cabin? What does 'diffuse the situation' mean? He get arrested?

Unless the guy was drunk or something, most would just knock his running lights out...or worse.

Doubt I would get violent with just me there, but put the wife or daughter on the scene and an Alabama redneck is liable to get off his chain.
    * He was DRUNK or High or both, who knows.

* Never met him

* He was not arrested, he was allowed to go back to his cabin with his wife... Maintenance and the Park office figured out who he was, and where he belonged... totally EFFED up, if you ask me.

* I think the Maintenance guy choked him out .

* I think he was staying in a cabin close by . THEY all look the same.

* I actually didn't knock is ass out, because he was outside, and I was in. If he knocked my ASS out, he would have had access to my wife. A decision that was the RIGHT decision, if you ask me. If he would have managed to get inside, I would have killed him. No doubt. I have methods.

* If he really wanted in, he would have came in the screen, which he would have been effectively subdued with a GIGANTIC cast iron skillet across the face and head. Yea, I probably would have killed him with it.

The director of PARKS has contacted me, and I believe I will get effective answers, and effective resolution to this. My biggest concern is that he was not arrested, and allowed to stay on the property. The director parks was equally concerned I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geo, I'm glad that you and Susan are safe. Wow. I know the event was upsetting to you. You did good and protected yourself and spouse with what you had available.

I'm not going to chime in as an "Internet Badda$$" and state that I'd have knocked him out . Very proud of how you handled the situation.

Be safe, brother.

Post Thanks / Like

where was the park ranger

They have cut back on security.KY passed a bill to make many services private concerns.A large part of barren river park are closed to the public now. Maybe it's for the better, the last time we ate at barren, the food was barely acceptable. We used to meet at a state park for a family gathering, last year we rented a chalet at barren, and it wasn't cheap. Ky is the last southern state that isn't privately run, that will change soon.When we first moved here in 93 you could launch at at any marina for free, try it now. I'll bet soon you will need to buy an annual permit to use the parks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang...that's a scary deal, Geo. I'm glad it worked out ok for y'all.

I think you did the right thing avoiding direct physical altercation if you were able to keep him on the other side of the door. If he had gotten the better of you in a struggle, your wife would have been left alone to defend herself.

In that situation, considering that its very likely that I would have had a gun handy, and that my 4 year old girl would probably have been with us, I'm not sure what I would have done. I guess I would have held the door and been ready to send him to his maker if he got in.

Drunk, high, whatever...I'll end a fellow if it looks like he's going to get to my girls and hope the judge understands.

Crazy.

Absurd that he was not arrested or at a bare minimum made leave by the park folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    George I'm glad you are OK and didn't get hurt. I would highly recommend getting a carry pistol and take a couple of NRA type classes in concealed carry and basic handgun.

I had a similar experience may years ago while up in Ontario Canada at the Finn & Feather Fishing Camp. Some of the local Indians that lived near the cabins we rented were drinking one night and one got drunk and starting beating on his two kids. The kids ran to our cabin and banged on our door at 2 am. Dad opened the door and the kids bolted into the cabin and wanted us to hide them from their drunk father. The Beer up there has a higher alcohol content and he was seen earlier that afternoon carrying a entire case of beer back to his home. He walked right in front of our cabin with that case of beer. Before that we saw him carrying a empty case of beer bottles back to the store before he bought the new case. Anyway we were scared that their father would try to bust into our cabin and shoot us. The two Indian kids said he was going to shoot them with his gun which is why they ran away and hid in our cabin. I guess he never saw where the kids went and he never showed up at our cabin. But we were hiding under the beds without any weapons and with no telephone or cell phones to call for help. It was a long night.

I always owned a rifle and a shotgun from the time I was about 8 years old and old enough to hunt squirrels in the woods by myself. Before that I owned a BB gun air rifle. I hunted rabbits and birds with the BB gun. So I learned to shoot at a young age. All the boys in my neighborhood grew up hunting and fishing. My dad fished but he didn't hunt. The other dads were all hunters and they took me under their wing and taught me how to shoot a shotgun etc.

When I got older I sold my shotgun and got married. I didn't hunt for a long time while I was married. We went camping and water skiing all the time but I only got to fish a little. Fished for trout in the Smokey Mountains.

Well about two or three years ago I thought I'd get back into hunting and purchased an AR15 for hunting and shooting at the rifle range. That was a lot of fun until I decided to by a pistol. I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of different types of pistols. I read where the local sheriff of Vanderburgh County decided to arm all his men with 9 mm pistols instead of the 40 or 45 cal. He said it was cheaper to train with 9 mm and that the FBI did a study that concluded that overall for police work the 9 mm was the best cal when you consider both costs and lethality of the ammo. Todays 9 mm ammo is much better and more lethal than those of the past. Hornady Critical Duty is good stuff and very lethal too. They train with cheaper ammo on a weekly basis. So going to the 9 mm help them hold down the ammo cost.

So I decided to buy a 9 mm pistol. I then needed to find the right pistol. I ended up buying a Walther's PPQ M2 9mm 4" barrel. I'm so glad that I bought this gun. It turns out that it's a great pistol. Now there are a lot of other great handguns out there. So you will hear from many others. I started carrying this new Walthers PPQ with to the rifle ranges and back but could not carry it legally until I got my IN carry permit. It cost about $150 plus another $50 at the local County Sheriffs Office to get my Permit and it only took me two weeks to get it in the mail. The best thing I ever did was get a hand gun and a permit to carry it with me every where I go.

The PPQ is a medium sized hand gun and it holds about 15 to 17 rounds in a double stack magazine. I got an Alien Gear Inside the Waist Belt Holster ( Cloak Tuck 2 and the Cloak OWB Holster a leather/Kydex hybrid holster as a two for one package). I like many others tried a few other types of carry holsters for my PPQ.

I then thought I would buy a smaller pistol for every day carry. I did the research and added a Ruger LC9S Pro to my collection. I carried that pistol with me every where I went. It's a great little pistol and easy to hide. I wore it with my Alien Gear Cloak Slide OWB Hybrid Holster. This holster is leather backing with two loops that your belt goes though and it has a custom made Kydex holder for your gun. And the Kydex is replaceable for almost any type of gun. Check out the:
    http://aliengearholsters.com/

I got to thinking that I might need more ammo so I got some extra magazine holders to clip onto my belt. I carry two extra magazine of ammo with me now. The little Ruger only holds 7 rounds so I went back to carrying the PPQ which holds 17 rounds with one in the chamber.

I got a new Stealthgear FLEX OWB holster for my PPQ.

http://stealthgearusa.com/

They didn't have one for the Ruger LC9S Pro gun that I have. So I went back to carrying my PPQ again. The new holster is much better than the Alien Gear Cloak Slide OWB Holster as it's much more comfortable and it breaths better than the leather/kydex holster from Alien Gear. The Alien Gear holster is very comfortable with the little Ruger in it. The Ruger has a 3" long barrel and it more easily concealed in the summer time. But the PPQ shoots a lot better.

I practice shooting at 25 yards and have gone though over a thousand rounds in the last two years now.

You are lucky that you were able to keep the bad guy out of your cabin. I would have shot the SOB myself if he tried to harm my family or broke into my house.

I'm not sure what the laws are in KY but here in IN we can shoot someone if they break into our home. Better to be safe than sorry or dead yourself.

Every day I read in the local news papers where someone is shot or attacked by someone with a gun. So now I sleep with my PPQ next to me in my bed. It's loaded and ready to go. And if that won't stop the AR15 is fully loaded with M855 5.56 rounds in a couple of 30 round Magpul magazines. I use to also have a tactical Remington 870 Twelve Gage Shotgun loaded with 5 rounds of lead slugs.

Do some research and take some NRA approved shooting classes and buy yourself a gun.

PS: stop making people on the internet mad at you. LOL J/K

So what did the police do with that gun?

Note Correction 509 dollars changed to $50. Not sure why I let that typo slip through.

PSS. Since my heart attack and surgery I'm considered disabled. There for the need to protect myself with a gun rather than my fists or hand to hand combat. I don't have the strength that I use to have since my heart was damaged by several different heart attacks. I'm being tested now to see if I have congestive heart failure. I get short of breath just walking in the house these days. Which is the reason I chose to arm myself with a handgun. I'd hate to have to shoot anyone but I will do what I have to do to protect my life and my family and friends lives. I need to take a gun course on how and when Lethal force can be used here in Indiana. The cost is $50 for the class and it covers the Laws in IN concerning how and when one is legally allowed to use lethal force against someone else. Basically if your life is in danger and you feel threatened then and only then can you use lethal force to stop an attacker. In my case the threshold is lower as I'm weak and officially disabled. I'm like a wounded cat who will strike out much easier since it's harder for me to walk run away from an incident. And I believe that in IN we have the right to stand our ground and not have to run away from an attacker.

Post Thanks / Like

Takeaways:

Oh well.
    I agree about not shooting unless it's an absolute necessity. Pepper Spray is a great option for getting someone's attention and it's great way of showing your tried to protect yourself and loved ones without deadly force before being forced to shoot.
    The world is a dangerous place....have to keep your eyes and ears open.

Post Thanks / Like

better than pepper spray

Wasp[the insect] and hornet spray, can spray to 30 feet. I started carrying it last year, mostly to protect me and the dog from attack by another animal. Of course thre are draw backs to it, you'll wind up getting sued for injuries. Was[and still am]considering a sword cane. I use a cane often now,since I had those unexplained falling episodes a few years back, it aids in stability
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A Sword with a cane is a good idea. A good up close weapon

And it would be reasonable to use such a weapon if you felt threatened by a bad guy. But my weapon of choice is not a 9 mm semi automatic pistol with at least 17 rounds of P+ 135 gr lead ammo.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    Geo, I'm glad that you and Susan are safe. Wow. I know the event was upsetting to you. You did good and protected yourself and spouse with what you had available.

I'm not going to chime in as an "Internet Badda$$" and state that I'd have knocked him out . Very proud of how you handled the situation.

Be safe, brother.
    Assume you're saying I chimed in as an internet bada$$. If so, read what I wrote. Stating facts does not make me some kind of pretend tough guy. If you weren't talking about me, never mind.