Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jumps on Lake Cumberland?

I'm heading down the 28th through the 7th and am staying in Kendall below the dam. Is anyone seeing any jumps yet? Bass or stripers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heading down next week. Hoping to find some jumps and get some topwater action going. Anyone seeing anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    Was crossing the bridge at Burnside yesterday about 11am. 10 to 15 schools in the jumps there, stopped and watched for about 30 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kykingfish53 View Post
    Was crossing the bridge at Burnside yesterday about 11am. 10 to 15 schools in the jumps there, stopped and watched for about 30 minutes.
    Getting me excited! Thx for the info! Was worried about water temp being a little high but we have had some cooler weather and cooler weather ahead. Going to be more in the jamestown area....but if they are starting to come up we will find them. Hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last weekend the surface near the dam was 77 day and night.

Didn't see any jumps but I did hear some surface activity. Not sure what they were.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen some packs swirling but nothing on top.
    Likes Dobe Mejuwa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    I've seen some packs swirling but nothing on top.

When swirling, maybe Long A Bomber or other lure that runs shallow not at surface?

Second, if swirling, cast live bait to them and let sink thru the pack?

Without sacrificing hot spot, general locations, is it mouth of creeks, 1/2 up creeks, backs of creeks, main lake channels or more like flats off main lake.

My gut would put swirlers at flats off main lake near channel breaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Swirling packs are fish that didn't chase the bait all the way to the top. It's usually packs over open water. Anything like a spoon or bucktail that you can throw a long way could work but you'd have to be right with them when you see it. It doesn't usually last long as there are not enough fish to keep the bait trapped for long. Most fish are probably still on the main lake but they will start sprinkling into the creeks in a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    Swirling packs are fish that didn't chase the bait all the way to the top. It's usually packs over open water. Anything like a spoon or bucktail that you can throw a long way could work but you'd have to be right with them when you see it. It doesn't usually last long as there are not enough fish to keep the bait trapped for long. Most fish are probably still on the main lake but they will start sprinkling into the creeks in a few weeks.
    I fished last week: Monday I caught 2 stripers around 75 feet deep on main lake between Wolfe and Lily Creek. Saw about 15 boats fishing the same area. Tuesday want to same area and did not mark any fish, 0 fish. Saw about 6 boats in the area but moving a lot. Wednesday went to same area, no boats,no fish. Went to Low Gap island and Pigs Pen-- saw a couple of boats scattered all over the lake. Thursday: decided to move to the Lily Creek and caught 1 striper, 8 catfish, 1 largemouth and 1 smallmouth within the fish mile of the mouth of Lily Creek. Used shiners for bait. Coming back to Aligator II, was the first I saw bait fish between Wolfe Creek Marina and Aligator II.

If I was fishing this weeken, I would probably work more of the creeks instead of the main lake. My guess is the fish are following the baitfish and the alewives are moving a lot. No jumps. The water temperature was between 76 in the morning to 78 during the late afternoons. My guess the jumps will not happen until late this month.

I hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like

10 Oct

Mouth of Wolfe 3-4 small groups up combination pops at surface and swirls and tail slapping. Scattered bait clouds at surface 5-7 pm. Zora spook and big Thompson hammered spoons hot hits. Groupie sized throwbacks

Jamestown shiners are small mouth size not striper size, hope they restock with big ones, will try bass pro today for big shiners.

Post Thanks / Like

10 Oct

Mouth of Wolfe 3-4 small groups up combination pops at surface and swirls and tail slapping. Scattered bait clouds at surface 5-7 pm. Zora spook and big Thompson hammered spoons hot hits. Groupie sized throwbacks

Jamestown shiners are small mouth size not striper size, hope they restock with big ones, will try bass pro today for big shiners.