Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
Sorry I was going to post a response but got distracted at the d@m commercial showing on the page. Get rid of those **** movie ads that take up my computer's resources. I don't want them nor do I need them. And I hate it when I go to a link and have to watch a stupid commercial before I can see what I want. It's bad enough that major web sites like CNN and other have this going on. Now it's on fishing.com. There's not much to read in here anyway so I doubt that many others will like those commercials anymore than I do.

Now about the post. I've seen those types of people who run in at full speed next to where you are fishing and act like they own the place. They could care less that they just rocked your boat with their wake. I have a well know fishing guide at Patoka Lake do that to me and one of my friends when we were crappie fishing during a tournament. We were not in the tournament as we didn't sign up for that. But the guide was hired by one of the competitors and the guide was fishing the tournament. Crappie USA was holding their tournament that fall IIRC. Tim Gibson was the guide. He stopped his boat within 50 yards of where we were fishing a know brush pile in an really good fishing area that's well marked on the fishing maps. But my friends maps showed the area in much better detail. Our map even showed the little ditches that existed before the lake was formed. No other maps shows that much detail. And we were using Side Scanning Sonar units to mark the GPS locations of the big brush piles in the bay. It's not a big bay and it's not far from the North Launch Ramp on the main lake. So lots of people go right past it while out on Patoka Lake.

Now years ago when I was only 8 my father started taking me down to KY lake. Down there if you saw another boat in the area you were fishing it was rare. Everyone gave everyone else a wide birth. But there were far fewer people fishing in the area we fished. It was rare to see three other boats in the entire section of KY lake in those days. But we got up at 4 am and went out on the lake in the fog in Oct. We only went down the lake about a mile and hardly ever crossed over the lake in those days as the boats were only 14 to 16 ft aluminum rental boats that we used. Dad owned a 20HP Mercury Motor and we took that down and used it on the rental boat. We would rent a cabin for the week and then get a covered boat slip thrown into the deal back in the early 1960s. KY lake was pretty remote back in those days. We had a shower house and a outhouse facility that we used. The cabin had bunk beds to save room and one table and two chairs and one light bulb in the ceiling. I think we had a hot plate there on the table. I guess there was a electric refrigerator but I can't really remember that. The cabins were in the cow pasture and the cows ran around freely around the cabin. We had to walk from the cabin down the hill to the dock to launch the boat and go fishing. So we had to walk though the cow pasture to get to the dock. I can remember hearing the whipper wills calling in the early morning hours. I guess those were quail? Maybe they are different species. I don't hear them anymore these days in 2016. I guess they are pretty much gone now.

But we often had the lake to ourselves in Oct. Dad was a teacher and always got out of school for the teachers convention for a week in Oct. He would skip the convention and go fishing instead. They were not paid to go to the convention in those days. So ever year in Oct we would head down to KY lake and fish for a solid week. That is a nice time of the year to fish the lake. The water level is down and one can see the stumps that we fished in the spring when the water level was at summer pool or higher. The lake is totally different in the spring vs the fall of the year.

And back in the 1960's when I fished KY lake the most it was much quieter than it is these days. We didn't have any water skiers or jet skies back in those days. And people were much more respectful of each other. If you got to a bay first it was considered rude for someone else to come into the same area. People would even slow down when they passed your boat so as not to throw a wake. Boats didn't got that fast back in those days. A 35HP motor was one of the largest on a fishing boat back in those days. Those were the good old days and I wish we have them back sometimes. Back then the Lowrance Little Green Box flasher unit was our go to fishing locator device. It ran off of two dry cell 6 volt batteries. And the trolling motor was a set of wooden oars. Good times. We would run up wind of the fishing spot and turn the motor off and drift down wind into the fishing spot and were always very quiet. Seems that we caught more fish that way. After drifting though the fishing area we would oar back up into the wind and do it all over again. We didn't ever run the main motor near the fishing spot. Went I got my boat and had an Motor Guide HAWG electric Motor on the bow it seemed like the noise from the electric motor scared the fish or at least put them on notice that someone boat was there. I'm pretty sure that fish can sense the vibrations from the propeller in the water. I'm not sure if that actually scares them off the bite or not as we still catch fish using trolling motors. But in shallow water near the back it might make the fish head to deeper water for cover if they hear the trolling motor. I also wonder if the frequency of the depth finders is audible to the fish. The New Chirp units alter the frequencies to get better resolution. And I am not sure what frequency they use or what frequency the fish can hear.

I'd post some pictures but I don't have them on my hard drive anymore. I either deleted them and my adobe Photoshop program or the hackers did. Don't ever buy a program called System Mechanics and they are a bunch of hackers. The program will ruin your computer's hard drive and they will call you on the phone and harass you relentlessly. My main computer repair guy warned me about that program. He said it use to be a well respected company but was bought out by another sleaze company that messes up your computer and then tries to extort money from you to fix what they messed up. I hang up when I hear their voice on the phone. They are calling from Pakistan or some where out of the Middle or Far East. All I know is that the other day I noticed all my photos on my desktop computer were gone. I know that I didn't delete them as I would never do that. But they are all gone. Luckily I have them on a back up hard drive that I don't keep connected to my desktop computer and also on my notebook computer. But I don't have access right now to the digital old photos of my KY lake fishing trips from the 1960's. Dad would catch stringers full of Largemouth bass down at KY lake back in the 1940's when the lake was first made. I have some old photos of him holding up a huge stringer of LM bass. It's on color slides and I have a slide scanner that I can use to digitize them and add them back on my computer. But the slides are at my other house across down right now and so is the scanner device. So it may be a while before I get them back on this desktop computer that I use all the time.

Sorry about the video ads. At present I don't know who to turn them off. I will look into it.

** next time can you please send me an email or PM with what is being advertised.
Does it take over the screen or just play in the box?
Is there also audio?

If any techies see this and know how to prevent video ads in "DFP for small business" please get in touch.
I researched it for about an hour yesterday and did not come up with much.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Peter