Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

PowerBait for Trout

What is the best way to fish power bait while flating the river? My youngest doesn't like to cast a bunch but would love a way for him to get some trout in the boat. We have been killing them with SR5 lately, but never really fished with power bait other than off the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Granted I haven't trout fished in years and never on the Cumberland River, but where I grew up in Eastern Ky, I used to tie on a small barbless hook under a very thin stick bobber and just float them. Adjust ur length based on depth and try to have them just off the bottom. Now I fished in small streams so not sure this would work there. Typically the current carried the bobber and when the bobber stopped, I had a fish. Just an idea. Not sure what the current is like there so may not be an option.

Post Thanks / Like

power bait :)

Hey pardner,

I used to be able to fish the White River, years ago, and I used power bait from the bank. What I did was buy the pearls of bait, and a jar of dough, and I would put two pearls on the line above the hook, and cover the hook with the dough. Maybe the fish bit out of feeling sorry for me, but I thought that it looked like a bug. I guess that you could drift it, and use a split shot to keep it down, but I did have lots of success .

Post Thanks / Like
    use a lite weight and cast out upstream from the boat and let drift with the boat. He will have to get used to the bottom ticking along and the hangs every now and again but the bites will come. Flour. orange and white are the two best colors right now but other colors will work. Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always troll instead. Sr5 in deeper water. Pins minnow in shallow.