Search Fishin.com

Thread: Lake Cumberland

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Cumberland

Does Cumberland turnover in the fall? Also, can someone give me a clue as to what the bass are doing please? They in the backs of creeks? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it turns over but not all at the same time , the bass ,depending on species, usually smallies are near the main lake and larger creeks , spots can be anywhere and large heads are mostly toward the backs of the creeks . one thing about cland is that you might get surprised with any species at any time . good luck and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake turnover

I am confused.I talked to a guide,he said the lake turns over win the temperature above the therma cline is cooler than below the therma cline.Is that how it is?He said the lake doesnt turn till then.Wouldnt that mean then the lake would probably turn around january?
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljaw01 View Post
    yes it turns over but not all at the same time , the bass ,depending on species, usually smallies are near the main lake and larger creeks , spots can be anywhere and large heads are mostly toward the backs of the creeks . one thing about cland is that you might get surprised with any species at any time . good luck and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by houseboatjoe View Post
    I am confused.I talked to a guide,he said the lake turns over win the temperature above the therma cline is cooler than below the therma cline.Is that how it is?He said the lake doesnt turn till then.Wouldnt that mean then the lake would probably turn around january?

The surface temps can be different at different parts of the lake. So can the temps below the thermo cline. Why? Take a creek for example vs main lake. When it rains heavy during 60 degree temps, the creeks get a bigger temp impact because there are so many small creeks feeding them rain run off.

Also, narrow creeks are more often shaded from the sunlight then the main lake surface.

And remember there are springs feeding different parts of the lake. I've been in a aluminum bottom boat on the lake in summer when surface temps were high 70's, and the bottom of the boat was down right cold cause we just happened to be fishing right over a spot fed by some major spring water.

So yep, different parts of the lake can turn over at different times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe Mejuwa View Post
    The surface temps can be different at different parts of the lake. So can the temps below the thermo cline. Why? Take a creek for example vs main lake. When it rains heavy during 60 degree temps, the creeks get a bigger temp impact because there are so many small creeks feeding them rain run off.

Also, narrow creeks are more often shaded from the sunlight then the main lake surface.

And remember there are springs feeding different parts of the lake. I've been in a aluminum bottom boat on the lake in summer when surface temps were high 70's, and the bottom of the boat was down right cold cause we just happened to be fishing right over a spot fed by some major spring water.

So yep, different parts of the lake can turn over at different times.
    PS don't try to predict it, as you are out just look for teh difference in the color of the water and if what looks like dead stuff from the bottom is floating up...dead give away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone seen any evidence of turnover in the past week? Looking to fish around fishing creek Saturday....thanks for any information. Happy fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

West end

The west end is in great shape. Talk at the bait shop in Jamestown it took 16-17lbs on the latest tournament.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kstonich View Post
    The west end is in great shape. Talk at the bait shop in Jamestown it took 16-17lbs on the latest tournament.
    Hey thanks for the info