Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat deck rebuild and extension.

Doing a winter project on by 89 tracker. Bought marine grade ply wood for the new original deck and extension. The question I have for you guys is what to use to treat the wood to keep water out?

Post Thanks / Like
    A heavy epoxy paint or epoxy resin type thing. Maybe even fiberglass it.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if paint is necessary as I will be carpeting over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Epoxy paint or a oil base paint will keep water out. Paint and the install carpet over it

Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends on how long you want it to last. If you use an epoxy like West Systems it will outlast all of us if you seal it correctly. I would say use as few staples as possible. If you look at forums like i-boats or you use glen-l for help they are really nice resources.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    I don't know if paint is necessary as I will be carpeting over it.
    Have you thought about using something like a bed liner spray like line x it is easy to clean and would do a good job sealing the plywood

Post Thanks / Like
    Bedliner would be to expensive for my taste. Thought about Spar varnish but it is still fairly expensive

Post Thanks / Like
    I woudnt use marine grade plywood, way to heavy and seams to be rather wet and tends to require lots of extra bracing. Not to mension, for the cost of marine grade wood you can get aluminum.

Option 1: regular plywood, If you seal your regular plywood with thompsons water seal it will last a life time.

Aluminum sheet. Aluminum sheets are easy to cut, they are light and can be glued to or painted and will never ever rot.

I use aluminum tubing for the structure, after the extension or deck is built i use aluminium welding rods from harborfreight with map gas and lock it all in resulting in a rigid base. The other perk of aluminum tubing is that it can be easily bent with a bender alowing you to really customize your build.

Sea deck is a nice way to top it all off. It looks good and so far pretty rugged.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishin i was fishin View Post
    I woudnt use marine grade plywood, way to heavy and seams to be rather wet and tends to require lots of extra bracing. Not to mension, for the cost of marine grade wood you can get aluminum.

Option 1: regular plywood, If you seal your regular plywood with thompsons water seal it will last a life time.

Aluminum sheet. Aluminum sheets are easy to cut, they are light and can be glued to or painted and will never ever rot.

I use aluminum tubing for the structure, after the extension or deck is built i use aluminium welding rods from harborfreight with map gas and lock it all in resulting in a rigid base. The other perk of aluminum tubing is that it can be easily bent with a bender alowing you to really customize your build.

Sea deck is a nice way to top it all off. It looks good and so far pretty rugged.
    To late on the ply wood. Not sure if it's considered marine grade. It's sever weather max pressure treated I bought at lowes. Feels just as heavy as the original front deck piece. Should I still seal it with Thompsons?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    To late on the ply wood. Not sure if it's considered marine grade. It's sever weather max pressure treated I bought at lowes. Feels just as heavy as the original front deck piece. Should I still seal it with Thompsons?
    There were issues with pressure treated wood and the way they treat it. It caused severe reactions with aluminum, which would EAT holes in the boat.

I believe Peter had this problem.

I believe your best best is a non wood solution or wood with lots, and lots of oil based paint or epoxy or something that would really seal it.

Then every screw you put in should also be sealed with something..........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    painted my new decks in my tracker with 3 coats of oil base machinery paint from porter,been on going on 3 years,it stays inside when not in use,used ac plywood,no knots in surface and its just like new.

Post Thanks / Like
    only painted one side,I think it lets it dry out and not trap moisture