Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    There were issues with pressure treated wood and the way they treat it. It caused severe reactions with aluminum, which would EAT holes in the boat.

I believe Peter had this problem.

I believe your best best is a non wood solution or wood with lots, and lots of oil based paint or epoxy or something that would really seal it.

Then every screw you put in should also be sealed with something..........

Later,

Geo
    Right. Don't use treated wood. It can distroy your boat. The formula for
    The treatment changed in about 2006. Decks are a pain to put in so you only want to do it once.

If I were puting a deck in I would use real marine grade plywood.
    Not sure if it can be found locally. There might be some that claim to me marine plywood. Real marine grad has no voids in the wood/layers to trap moisture.

I would call a boat manufacturer like Lund and see if they will tell you the brand and where to get it. I would imagine they would sell it to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have already purchased treated wood for both deck and extension framing. Wife would kill me if I just throw it away. From what I have read it would work if I coated it with fiber glass resin and oil based paint or a bed liner. I like the bed liner option as marine carpet is expensive. I'm doing this on a very minimum budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    I have already purchased treated wood for both deck and extension framing. Wife would kill me if I just throw it away. From what I have read it would work if I coated it with fiber glass resin and oil based paint or a bed liner. I like the bed liner option as marine carpet is expensive. I'm doing this on a very minimum budget.

Can you not return the wood you have purchased? Treated wood imo would be about the worst option you could go with. The possible reaction with aluminum has been mentioned above and it is debatable how well resin or any other coating will adhere to it, due to its high moisture content. Marine ply would be the best, if I was on a budget and was set on coating it with resin or some other coating, plain sheeting grade plywood would be preferable to the treated and would be cheaper as well.

Advantech plywood is another option and not much more expensive than regular plywood. It is used mainly to sheet floors with and uses an exterior glue. It will take a lot of water with no issues. It is readily available, but may only come in 3/4 or 5/8 thickness which may be too heavy for your application. I have read on the internet where people are using it for transom's with no issues. I also saw where a guy left a cut piece submerged in water for about a year and there was little to no swelling or separation.

I understand being on a budget, but for a few dollars more do something right and most importantly once.
    Likes kstonich, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Truck bed liner is not a good option in a boat imo. It is hot in the summer and is rough on fishing rods and reels as well as barefeet and dogs paws.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second the advantec sheeting. Their whole advertisement campaign was related to water shedding. I extended a deck on a small fiberglass boat one time using it. It was a little thick but felt very sturdy after construction. I covered mine in outdoor carpet and used really good glue from the carpet place. Cant remember the name of it but u brushed it on both surfaces, allowed to get tacky, then put on. I carpeted my deck before I put it into my boat then wiggled it in place. Might not work for ur purposes but the fit and finish looked as god as factory IMO. When I sold it the guy that bought it jumped up and down on the deck to test it and said "not only does it look great, its strong"