Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 22

Thread: Ranger rt 198p

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Scottsville
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Ranger rt 198p

    Anyone running one of these?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Scottsville
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, 313 views and no one has any info/input? No wonder there are very few posts anymore.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Scottsville
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wink Well,

    Since no one on here runs one, I bought one so that next spring I can give a review of it, if I am still around and willing
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    New Albany, Indiana.
    Posts
    7,727
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerMike View Post
    Since no one on here runs one, I bought one so that next spring I can give a review of it, if I am still around and willing
    Man, I'd LOVE to know how you like it. I looked at one a couple years ago. Looking at my Tracker 190 and the current offering from Ranger the Ranger rt198, I think my Tracker might ride nicer, but heck........that RT looks mighty mighty nice, and is definitely built well.

    Did you get it locally? Lou area?

    Later,

    Geo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Scottsville
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Great

    Geo, no I bought it in Tn. Closest dealer to Me. So far it has been great. Couple small issues. First I wish it had a fourstroke, for a couple reasons. One being how the rigging goes into the motor. Pro XS is on side, Opti is in the front. Makes the cable's lay on the rear deck enough to be aggravating when getting into the storage/bilge area. Another being that with a Pro XS there is no remote oil tank taking up space in the storage/bilge area.

    Boat has adequate storage, tons of room on the front deck, drafts around 10inches, and fishes really good. Stable at rest and runs 61ish GPS top end. Ride is really good. I am sure if you worked it over with a jackplate, the right prop, etc. there is probably more there since I am just barely breaking the pad surface on it.

    Got a buddy that has a rt188 that I fished out of the back for a couple years, and they are great boats also. That's why I decided on a 198P. Basically the same boat, just a foot longer with a pad and a 150.
    Last edited by TrackerMike; 01-02-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added info

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    11,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I have looked at the RT188 all summer, fall and still looking. I was excited to see the 198's come out this year. I know Lowe boats came out with a boat like that as well. I just like the Rangers a little more.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Scottsville
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up 188

    DJD,
    The 188 is a GREAT boat. Actually has more usable storage than the 198. Front deck is the same, area wise. No underseat storage due to that is where they put the gas tank on the 198. There is more storage in the bilge area on the 198 due to that fact. Storage in the front deck step on the 198, but not dry or much space. Love the coinbox on the 198,but that allows for only two seats but I can't say that will ever be an issue for me.
    There are some good deals out there on some used 188's, but not many. Those that have them love them. I was looking at a VERY low hr 188 when I bought the 198. Major selling point on new, original owner warranty, and the 150 HP. At this point in ownership, I am pleased with the purchase. Would I purchase it again?? Probably....Maybe......but I would be just as content with a 188 for my needs/use. If you want to take a ride and look it over, get with me sometime.

    Heading to Florida in two weeks. Hope to put some big girls in it. 
    Likes DJD liked this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    .
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Port rod box

    What is the longest rod you can fit in the port rod box? It was listed as 6.5 ft on the website but would like to hear actual experience?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Scottsville
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Yep...

    Quote Originally Posted by dlgfish View Post
    What is the longest rod you can fit in the port rod box? It was listed as 6.5 ft on the website but would like to hear actual experience?
    6'6" is it. I took the moosehead rack out and just use it for storage. I can get all the rods I need in the center locker, and they are easier to get to there anyway. When you have rods on the deck, the port box is a pain to get anything out of. Just my opinion tho.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    11,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerMike View Post
    DJD,
    The 188 is a GREAT boat. Actually has more usable storage than the 198. Front deck is the same, area wise. No underseat storage due to that is where they put the gas tank on the 198. There is more storage in the bilge area on the 198 due to that fact. Storage in the front deck step on the 198, but not dry or much space. Love the coinbox on the 198,but that allows for only two seats but I can't say that will ever be an issue for me.
    There are some good deals out there on some used 188's, but not many. Those that have them love them. I was looking at a VERY low hr 188 when I bought the 198. Major selling point on new, original owner warranty, and the 150 HP. At this point in ownership, I am pleased with the purchase. Would I purchase it again?? Probably....Maybe......but I would be just as content with a 188 for my needs/use. If you want to take a ride and look it over, get with me sometime.

    Heading to Florida in two weeks. Hope to put some big girls in it. 
    Cool man. 👍🏻 We are headed down mid Feb and doing the Camp Mack Kissimmee chain thing again. Where are you headed in Florida....Kissimmee chain?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Scottsville
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Florida

    Yep. Camp Mack for us also. Actually about 2 hrs away from there right now. Stopped for breakfast. Gonna throw some swim baits and fish live shiners. We will try to leave you some:-). (Actually we are c&r down here. Pics and measurement if we catch a toad!) I will let you know how we do.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    11,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerMike View Post
    Yep. Camp Mack for us also. Actually about 2 hrs away from there right now. Stopped for breakfast. Gonna throw some swim baits and fish live shiners. We will try to leave you some:-). (Actually we are c&r down here. Pics and measurement if we catch a toad!) I will let you know how we do.
    Yeah it's a decent place to stay. Our big one last time was over 10 with multiple 5 's...yep C&R for is as well....I did very well on a Watermelon Fluke as I usually do down there this time of year. Good luck man!!!
    Likes TrackerMike liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. WTB Ranger
    By flippinstick in forum Boats - Buy, Sell, Discuss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
  2. 82 Ranger
    By trex1 in forum Boats - Buy, Sell, Discuss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM
  3. Looking for used 518 Ranger
    By jrod in forum Boats - Buy, Sell, Discuss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
  4. Ranger Bob's Gas
    By fishbum in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 08:59 PM
  5. Ranger
    By bob1catfan in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •