Search Fishin.com

Thread: Spot Lock

Post Thanks / Like

Spot Lock

Looking for new trolling motor of 80pd plus for big tin boat,fish alot of current and wind ,is this spot lock or electric anchor that good?

Post Thanks / Like

spot lock/anchor

I got the motor guide, the spot lock /anchor function is great.
    If you can, get the XI5 with gps. It has changed my enjoyment level when I fish. So much easier when alone.
    I put the 105lb 36volt on my Lund it maybe overkill but I can troll in the wind all day with plenty of juice left.
    check out BBG marine. Best prices around.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont own one but you probably need to look into the minn kota ultrex. Cable drive so you still get the fast response in tighter spots and spot lock to stay within a 5ft circle. The motorguides are electric steer and if youve ever been in standing timber with electric steer youd see why its such a disadvantage. Do your research before ya buy

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the minn kota, the spot lock is good to use while you fight and land a fish, but it isn't any good for setting over a brush pile trying to fish for crappie, it will stay close to the spot you lock on, but if you try staying on the same spot for a few minutes it will turn and twist your electric cables up to the point of breaking them, if it is a little windy or there is enough current to move your boat off the spot you are trying to hold your boat on, the best way i've found to do it, is nose your boat into the wind, or into the current and set the trolling motor on autopilot, set the fan speed to the number that will turn just enough to hold your boat from moving forward or backward, just enough prop power to hold her still, and it will set still so you can fish without turning in circles like the spot lock will make it do. and I fish standing timber, and have both the foot control and remote, the remote is all I ever use, just hang it around my neck and it works great,