Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

can they do this?

I know you guys have heard me vent about wal-mart a few times on here, and you have heard me speak of my friend that works there, well this is something my friend told me that happened to them at wal-mart, and I want to ask the question on here that they asked me, I said I didn't see how they could do that, but thought someone on this site may know the answer, sense some of you are into healthcare and some in the insurance business, my friend has health insurance from working at wal-mart and their spouse has insurance from where they work, my friend decided to drop their health insurance from wal-mart, and just keep their insurance that their spouse has, to keep from paying for two premiums like they have been doing, and when my friend told wal-mart personnel that they wanted to drop their health insurance there, they told my friend that they couldn't, seriously if any of you know the law on a this, please give an answer to the question my friend asked me, can they make him keep it or can it be dropped,

Post Thanks / Like

My Guess

If he /she is paying the premium, don't see how they can make them keep it.:confused

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I know you guys have heard me vent about wal-mart a few times on here, and you have heard me speak of my friend that works there, well this is something my friend told me that happened to them at wal-mart, and I want to ask the question on here that they asked me, I said I didn't see how they could do that, but thought someone on this site may know the answer, sense some of you are into healthcare and some in the insurance business, my friend has health insurance from working at wal-mart and their spouse has insurance from where they work, my friend decided to drop their health insurance from wal-mart, and just keep their insurance that their spouse has, to keep from paying for two premiums like they have been doing, and when my friend told wal-mart personnel that they wanted to drop their health insurance there, they told my friend that they couldn't, seriously if any of you know the law on a this, please give an answer to the question my friend asked me, can they make him keep it or can it be dropped,
    Under the rules of the Affordable Healthcare Act (Obamacare) it's possible that your friends desire to change insurance coverage's so they can save money may not be listed as a qualified life event therefore the spouse's insurance company would not be allowed to accept your friend until they have an open enrollment period. If your friend wishes to drop Wal-Mart's coverage while still employed there and without first being accepted into another company coverage then it's likely Wal-Mart would not be allowed to discontinue their coverage. Just another case of a working person getting screwed by the gubment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerMike View Post
    If he /she is paying the premium, don't see how they can make them keep it.:confused
    I see it as you do, a person paying the premium should be able to stop paying it anytime they choose, the snag is something to do with the open enrollment period..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Under the rules of the Affordable Healthcare Act (Obamacare) it's possible that your friends desire to change insurance coverage's so they can save money may not be listed as a qualified life event therefore the spouse's insurance company would not be allowed to accept your friend until they have an open enrollment period. If your friend wishes to drop Wal-Mart's coverage while still employed there and without first being accepted into another company coverage then it's likely Wal-Mart would not be allowed to discontinue their coverage. Just another case of a working person getting screwed by the gubment.
    my friends and I were talking about car insurance, and I told him I had carried insurance with the same company for the past 15 plus years, and I changed companies and saved myself a little over 700.00 ever 6 months, thats when he said they need to cancel one of the health insurance policies, to save paying the two premiums, they both carry the family plans, and each are covered under both plans, a couple weeks later he told me that wal-mart told him that he couldn't cancel, until next November during open enrollment, I can see during open enrollment you choose a plan, that last for a year and then you can change it the next year, for a better plan or one of less coverage, but not being able to cancel it at any time you please, now that stinks..

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are probably correct in the fact this would not be considered a qualified life event and under Obama care he has to have insurance and he probably can't get on spouse insurance until her company has an enrollment period. I am surprised they will save money with what he wants to do. I pay 75% of employees insurance premium but if spouse or family want on my company insurance they have to pay 100% of that insurance and it is expensive I would think wal mart would be paying part of his premium and his spouses company is probably pay part of her premium. I would think they will be hit with huge premium increase if he goes on her insurance.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    my friends and I were talking about car insurance, and I told him I had carried insurance with the same company for the past 15 plus years, and I changed companies and saved myself a little over 700.00 ever 6 months, thats when he said they need to cancel one of the health insurance policies, to save paying the two premiums, they both carry the family plans, and each are covered under both plans, a couple weeks later he told me that wal-mart told him that he couldn't cancel, until next November during open enrollment, I can see during open enrollment you choose a plan, that last for a year and then you can change it the next year, for a better plan or one of less coverage, but not being able to cancel it at any time you please, now that stinks..

Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    I think you are probably correct in the fact this would not be considered a qualified life event and under Obama care he has to have insurance and he probably can't get on spouse insurance until her company has an enrollment period. I am surprised they will save money with what he wants to do. I pay 75% of employees insurance premium but if spouse or family want on my company insurance they have to pay 100% of that insurance and it is expensive I would think wal mart would be paying part of his premium and his spouses company is probably pay part of her premium. I would think they will be hit with huge premium increase if he goes on her insurance.
    did you not read my post, he has insurance coverage under his wife's family plan, and she has insurance coverage under his family plan, he just wants to cancel his insurance plan he has through working at wal-mart, to save himself the premium he pays each month, he will still have health insurance coverage under his wife's health care plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    it is obvious I did not read it close enough I didn't catch that they were both family plans I assumed they were both employee only and you know what they say about assumptions. I would have your friend go back to company H R department with proof of insurance through his spouse's plan and ask again for his insurance to be cancelled. I believe they have to let him cancel his plan if that does not work he needs to ask them to drop the family plan. If they refuse I would ask them why and then tell them he needs a copy of the Wal Mart policy that prohibits him cancelling his policy.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So they enrolled in two different family plans. Not sure why they would do that, but he'll need to wait for an open enrollment period or qualifying life event to change that. Most companies' plans have similar rules, you have to make sure you understand them...then make good decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry ????

It should not matter about open enrollment if he is already covered under the wife's plan. This should be cut and dry, but we live in some really disturbing times when we are forced to pay for something we neither want or need

Post Thanks / Like

It is not a qualifying change.

If the wife just picked up insurance or just enrolled in different insurance, then he could drop the wally world insurance and pick up his wife's.

In actuality , Wal-Mart is probably protecting this guy from himself. If he dropped the wally stuff, and then went to pick up the wife, if the wife is not in enrollment, then he'd be out of insurance, and would NOT be able to get back on Wally and would NOT be able to get in the exchanges, and would probably have to pay a penalty.

Insurance is a MESS.......and gubment sure didn't help it any.

Later,

Geo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    Car insurance and Health Insurance is like apples and oranges. If we treated car insurance like health insurance, then your auto insurance would pay for oil changes, and new tires, and balance and rotation, and , and, and and.

AND that insurance would be about 500/month......

Car insurance pays when you burn your car down, or someone steals it, or when you crash it, or someone ELSE crashes it.

Health insurance.......don't even get me started, but it should only cover when you nead a lung or cut off your leg, or break your back, etc, etc, etc, etc,.....