Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ideas for overnight kayak fishing trip

Does anyone know of any small rivers that can be kayaked and camped over a few days' span? Looking to plan a fishing trip for me and my brothers this spring/summer. Proximity to Kentucky would be preferred, but I'm cool with traveling a state or two away if the fishing/camping scenario is worth it. Would like to be able to camp on the banks so I guess it would have to be in a park? I know there is green river in Mammoth Cave NP, but I'm wanting to try somewhere else. I've struggled to find anything through google. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGhostMan View Post
    Does anyone know of any small rivers that can be kayaked and camped over a few days' span? Looking to plan a fishing trip for me and my brothers this spring/summer. Proximity to Kentucky would be preferred, but I'm cool with traveling a state or two away if the fishing/camping scenario is worth it. Would like to be able to camp on the banks so I guess it would have to be in a park? I know there is green river in Mammoth Cave NP, but I'm wanting to try somewhere else. I've struggled to find anything through google. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    it don't get any better than the Big Southfork cumberland river, good fishing and some of the most beautiful scenery ever, you can put in at station camp campground in Tn, and get out at Blue Heron near Sterns Ky about 3 days later, beautiful water and rocks, with a few sandbars to camp on, summer time or early fall when the water is down a bit. when camping this area, watch for snakes, be careful and good luck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks waterdog... I checked the river out on google maps and it looks awesome. I noticed some rifles during that stretch. During normal flow, should I have to worry about any white water? I've only been kayak fishing for about a year, so I'm pretty inexperienced with faster moving water... And my brothers are even less experienced. Safe for beginners?
    Likes inrll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an article about kayaking/camping on Green River/Mammoth Cave National Park that may be an option for you.

http://www.kayakersanonymous.com/tri...-national-park

I just realized that you already mentioned this park. I was going to delete but I'll leave it up for others that may be interested.
    Last edited by SLP; 01-06-2017 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Added to post

Post Thanks / Like

Big south fork

We have been down the river the last 2 years, I would go early summer before the river gets to low. The only place that you may have trouble with is devil's jump and everyone went thru fine. The fishing is good and a great experience. We booked with Sheltowee Trace, they dropped us off and we left our trucks at the take out.
    Likes inrll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gocats View Post
    We have been down the river the last 2 years, I would go early summer before the river gets to low. The only place that you may have trouble with is devil's jump and everyone went thru fine. The fishing is good and a great experience. We booked with Sheltowee Trace, they dropped us off and we left our trucks at the take out.
    Cool. Devil's jump, huh?
    Thanks for the info, man!