Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fishing line

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Fishing line

Is it a fact that you can catch more fish on a light lb clear line (4-6lb) other then a clear 12 lb test line during the winter day time fishing or could it just be the challenge of using a light test lb line? I sure like the ideal of having 12 pound test if i were to hook me a 5 plus sm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinner line helps get the lure down deeper with less resistance so you can fish deeper or with lighter baits and keep the lure on the bottom. It also gives a little smaller vibration in the water, so the fish may be turned off from your lure a little less. With a good fluorocarbon line, I'm not sure they can see the larger line, but I only used 8lb line when winter fishing at Dale this year. And I got outfitted by Geofisher this winter when he was using 6lb. Not sure if the line size was the difference, but...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Thinner line helps get the lure down deeper with less resistance so you can fish deeper or with lighter baits and keep the lure on the bottom. It also gives a little smaller vibration in the water, so the fish may be turned off from your lure a little less. With a good fluorocarbon line, I'm not sure they can see the larger line, but I only used 8lb line when winter fishing at Dale this year. And I got outfitted by Geofisher this winter when he was using 6lb. Not sure if the line size was the difference, but...
    Lighter line...... deeper bait. I knew that but was not thinking. So, looks like the lighter line to me has a whole lot more to do with bait depth and presentation then the ideal of some line looking like a rope going through the water. Thanks Eddie_M.