Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

muck on ponds/small lakes - how to fish it?

How do you bass fisherman approach fishing the green muck that accumulates around the edges of ponds and small lakes? What exactly is it, algae? This was all along the edges of McNeely Lake this past spring. Should be able to see what I'm talking about in the background of this picture. Do you use punching lures?? Or just stay away from it? It covered several feet out from the bank, pretty much as far out as the water willow grew. I know bass are under there in the open pockets of the water willow. When I throw texas rigs around the stuff, I always feel like the muck is sticking to my soft plastic and fouling its action and I lose confidence in them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	14174
    Likes slamson71 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGhostMan View Post
    How do you bass fisherman approach fishing the green muck that accumulates around the edges of ponds and small lakes? What exactly is it, algae? This was all along the edges of McNeely Lake this past spring. Should be able to see what I'm talking about in the background of this picture. Do you use punching lures?? Or just stay away from it? It covered several feet out from the bank, pretty much as far out as the water willow grew. I know bass are under there in the open pockets of the water willow. When I throw texas rigs around the stuff, I always feel like the muck is sticking to my soft plastic and fouling its action and I lose confidence in them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	14174
    Hollow body Frog works really really well

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the frog.
    Likes slamson71 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what the scum frog was made for. Also try the scumfrog bigfoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright... Haven't used a frog much, but guess I'll pull it out when I see the stuff. Didn't know if someone had a method for a subsurface presentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    the proper name is green muck actually it is commonly called moss or filamentous algae and yes bass live under it I agree on how everyone said to fish it i will add one other option I like a large straight tail worm without a weight throw on top and pull it over green muck. I like to pull it in about two feet at a time let it set a little While and repeat may want to slow steady retrieve. when it gets to the edge I pull it off and let it sink slowly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like frogs also, but certain types of slime/moss can be really "sticky" and foul them up. What I do with this scenario is tie on a weightless plastic worm. For extra slitheriness, I coat it really well in fish attractant.

I use a stop and go retrieve and let it drop in any hole in the moss or on the outer edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    all of these are great options.... the only advice I have to give you on these techniques is to be patient after the bite. They will have a ton of crap in their mouth when coming through the algae to eat your lure. So give it a second or two until you set the hook. If you set it instantly you wont hook many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    all of these are great options.... the only advice I have to give you on these techniques is to be patient after the bite. They will have a ton of crap in their mouth when coming through the algae to eat your lure. So give it a second or two until you set the hook. If you set it instantly you wont hook many.
    Great advice. One of the hardest thing to do in fishing is wait a second or two after you see a big blow-up on a frog or weightless worm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    the proper name is green muck actually it is commonly called moss or filamentous algae and yes bass live under it I agree on how everyone said to fish it i will add one other option I like a large straight tail worm without a weight throw on top and pull it over green muck. I like to pull it in about two feet at a time let it set a little While and repeat may want to slow steady retrieve. when it gets to the edge I pull it off and let it sink slowly.
    LOL didn't see this post when I posted. Great minds!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome advice guys. Now I have a plan of attack. Hopefully I have the patience to wait on the hook sets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use braided line as well. It helps with the hookset thru the junk and it is very difficult to break. If you use a hollow body frog shorten the legs a quarter and make one of the legs a quarter shorter than the other. Once you hit the open water it will walk like a spook on the top. I have used a frog around duckweed and wood ALOT! Like the other guys have posted WAIT when they blow up on it and feel the pull and set the hook like your gonna yank them out of the water. I would also recommend setting the hook upwards and do not sweep because the hooks are on top of the bait and you will get them in the roof of the mouth or top lip most of the time. Hope this helps!

Shawn
    Likes GreenGhostMan liked this post