Search Fishin.com

Thread: catfishing

Post Thanks / Like

catfishing

Does anyone know of a pay lake or a public fishing area to catch catfish in or really close to Lexington Ky? I'm looking at going in a month or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jacobson Park in Lexington has hybrid blue/channel cats stocked so they grow quicker. You may be able to youtube the KY Afield show on them. You can also go to Ky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and check stocking dates. I have watched guys catch them good out there but you can only keep 4 I think. If you have a boat you can go to Wilgreen in Richmond or Taylorsville they have blues in there well over 30lbs and are biting GOOD now. Bank access is not good at Wilgreen not sure about Taylorsville.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    Jacobson Park in Lexington has hybrid blue/channel cats stocked so they grow quicker. You may be able to youtube the KY Afield show on them. You can also go to Ky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and check stocking dates. I have watched guys catch them good out there but you can only keep 4 I think. If you have a boat you can go to Wilgreen in Richmond or Taylorsville they have blues in there well over 30lbs and are biting GOOD now. Bank access is not good at Wilgreen not sure about Taylorsville.

Shawn

Thanks a lot for your help Shawn.
    Likes sglass liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm from Richmond and catfishing is probably my favorite. I have had good luck on channel cats at Jacobson Park. Look up the stocking dates on the KY fish and wildlife page. I noticed I caught the most fish within the first week after they stock. It's a heavily fished lake. Last year they stocked once a month in the spring and summer months. They can always be caught but in my experience that's when I caught the most. I was at Wilgreen Lake crappie fishing the dock the weekend before last and saw two boats come in. BOTH boats had a blue cat they had caught and they were both 20 or 25 fish. Cutbait they said. It's pretty limited bank access though which *****. My friends parents used to run the dock there and live in the house that sits close to it. They sold it and the best bank fishing for cats is behind their house. The previous owners didn't care as long as you weren't loud and picked up your trash. I have no idea if the new owners would run you off or not. There's a pretty beat-up path to it and it's not extremely close to the house but it is in their backyard. As far as paylakes goes there is a newer place in Berea called Rose's. I have not been but I have heard good things. They have a facebook page.