Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Photos posted sideways?

Here is a PM from Rick Hise with what I could find out.

Quote Originally Posted by rickhise
    Hoping you could help get my iPhone pics posted the proper way?
    Seems mine end up side ways
    Thanks for letting me know. It seems to be a bug in the vbulletin the software we use that makes photos taken with an iphone when the phone is heald verticle they show up rotated the wrong way. If you take the photo on the iphone with the phone turned sideways (the length of the phone paralleling the ground it works OK). It turns photos taken with the phone verticle (as you would use it when you talk) - sideways.

If you have a photo taken with the iphone verticle and you can get it on your computer with drop box or some other way you can, in windows,
    -right click on it
    -open with
    -windows photo viewer and click the proper rotate button at the bottom and then
    close windows photo viewer and then upload it.

I did that with photos you posted in this thread and now they are correct.
    http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...2952-Dale-1-13

As a side note I tested some photos from my iphone holding camera both ways and when uploaded to computer they are also rotated the wrong way if photo taken with phone held verticle. So it is also an iphone problem. I am not sure if this is a problem with android?

The bigger sites I suppose have programming that accounts for this I suppose.

If anybody has an androif phone can you please let me know if you also have this problem

Looking for a solution.
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a common problem on another site I'm a member of, which also uses vBulletin. One member explained it this way : "Phone pics have an orientation tag that the vbulletin software of the forum cannot read and therefore cannot rotate your pic correctly."

I normally tell people that the pics from their phones will turn 1/4 turn to the left, when held vertically during the taking of the picture, when downloaded to the site. The pics will come out upside down if the top of the phone is held to the left .... SO, in order to correct this problem, if a picture is taken to be shared on the site, then take the picture with the top of the phone pointing to your right.

Even though the pic looks correct on your phone, once posted to the site it can end up sideways ... not by fault of the phone, but by the transfer to a vBulletin site. The make of the phone, or what carrier you use, doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm not even sure if it would make a difference with phones that have the capability of setting "landscape" for pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Pappy. Correct me if I am wrong.

I just tested again and the top of the phone should be pointed to the left like below. That is probably the most natural way to take a photo in the landscape position.
    So you rotate your phone 1/4 turn counter clock wise from the vertical position (the position the phone is in when you are talking on it).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hold phone this way.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	14255

Name:	Photo Jan 19, 5 24 59 PM.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	14256
    (above) Phone rotated 1/4 turn counter clockwise from vertical.
    * Just think- bottom (end) 3:00 o'clock and you should be done fishin by then!

Name:	Photo Jan 19, 5 25 23 PM.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	14257

(above) Phone rotated 1/4 turn clockwise from vertical.

* Then if you take a photo with your phone held verticle the photo will show up rotated 1/4 turn counter clockwise as Pappy says.
    Likes FishingStone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL .... I think that's completely backwards from what I've been told to do. I don't use my cellphone for picture posting, so I don't have personal experience to draw from ... I'm just telling what I've been told to do to correct the sideways pic problem.

If you're taking the pic with the phone held vertical, vBulletin turns the pic 1/4 turn to your left (as you view it on screen). So, if you take a pic with the top of your phone pointing to your left, and vBulletin adds another 1/4 turn to the left, then your pic will show up on screen upside down. In essence ... vBulletin is trying to make a "portrait" mode picture into a "landscape" mode picture, by rotating it that 1/4 turn to the left (laying it on its side).

I don't understand all I know about cellphones, and posting pics on websites via attachments, or using apps like Tapatalk ... LOL !! I use a digital camera for pics I intend to post, and pull them from my computer files or Photobucket album.
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Photobucket works best

Peter. Just setup an account in Photobucket and upload any pictures from your phone computer to photobucket. From there you can reorientate them before loading them in here. That works for me. I also use the DSLR for taking photos and upload them to Photobucket to resize them for web sites. I don't take that many pictures anymore though.

http://www.photobucket.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    LOL .... I think that's completely backwards from what I've been told to do. I don't use my cellphone for picture posting, so I don't have personal experience to draw from ... I'm just telling what I've been told to do to correct the sideways pic problem.

If you're taking the pic with the phone held vertical, vBulletin turns the pic 1/4 turn to your left (as you view it on screen). So, if you take a pic with the top of your phone pointing to your left, and vBulletin adds another 1/4 turn to the left, then your pic will show up on screen upside down. In essence ... vBulletin is trying to make a "portrait" mode picture into a "landscape" mode picture, by rotating it that 1/4 turn to the left (laying it on its side).

I don't understand all I know about cellphones, and posting pics on websites via attachments, or using apps like Tapatalk ... LOL !! I use a digital camera for pics I intend to post, and pull them from my computer files or Photobucket album.
    Likes peter liked this post