Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good Friday day trip ideas.....?

Alright so my buddy and I are thinking about making a day trip to a lake on Good Friday. We would be leaving from Louisville and want to bass fish. We mainly fish rough river and would like to get after some small mouth so that has us thinking either Dale Hollow, Cumberland, or Laurel River Lake. Does anyone here have any info on what works that time of the year on those lakes or any suggestions on a lake to make a day trip to? KY lake and Barkley is to far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also look at green river lake. it is closer than the others. Itmcan be hot that time of year. If your stayig close to the ville lime that you could guage the weather and lake conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks. I haven't ruled out green or barren. It's just my buddy has never caught a smallmouth and I know those 3 lakes are full of them. I know green and barren has some good numbers as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are not dead set on smallmouth. It would be a no brainer for me. Barren no doubt. We have wore them out on Good Friday. Spinner baits and Crankbaits around bluff walls.Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R520 View Post
    If you are not dead set on smallmouth. It would be a no brainer for me. Barren no doubt. We have wore them out on Good Friday. Spinner baits and Crankbaits around bluff walls.Awesome!
    Interesting. I was there around that time last year and it was the worst day of fishing I had all year. I was fishing very shallow as it appeared they were on beds, surprised they were suspending on bluff walls that time of year. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    Alright so my buddy and I are thinking about making a day trip to a lake on Good Friday. We would be leaving from Louisville and want to bass fish. We mainly fish rough river and would like to get after some small mouth so that has us thinking either Dale Hollow, Cumberland, or Laurel River Lake. Does anyone here have any info on what works that time of the year on those lakes or any suggestions on a lake to make a day trip to? KY lake and Barkley is to far.

I had my best days at Cumberland last year in early April. Caught a bunch of smallmouth. Would be hard for me to recommend anything else, assuming the bite stays like it has.

Post Thanks / Like
    If catching smallmouth is your goal then I would pick Cumberland. On April 14 smallmouth should be in different stages of spawning. The early spawners will be done and the late spawners will be getting ready...find a bank with pea gravel, clay or a sandy bottom. Chuck rock would also be a plus. Some of the deep cuts have silt in them from runnoff so if you can find something like that then I would also give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R520 View Post
    Barren isn't out of the question. Thanks. We aren't dead set on anything really, we may end up crappie fishing before it's said and done. I just figured it would be easier to hook up on a smallie then before they went deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Smallmouth

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    Barren isn't out of the question. Thanks. We aren't dead set on anything really, we may end up crappie fishing before it's said and done. I just figured it would be easier to hook up on a smallie then before they went deep.
    I would take Laurel off your list if you have never fished it before. It can be a very humbling experience even if you fish it regularly.