Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Spring crappie fishing. Barkley or kentucky lake?

Just wanted to see opinions on spring crappie fishing. Do you think Barkley or Kentucky lake are better.
    What areas are the hottest spots with the most fish.
    What are the top baits for crappie.
    What are the best crappie holes.

Thanks
    Casedog

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Fishing

Both lakes are good but Kentucky is my favorite. As far as spots go, you have to hunt them down. If you have never been, I'd get a guide to show you the ropes. Blood River and Jonathan Creek are always good spots to start. A lot of people catch them out of coves on the main lake too. Just depends on what the fish are doing. Might be in 6 foot of water one day, water drops 2" and they head out to 15 foot. Timing is everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring crappie fishing. Barkley or kentucky lake

I've heard Jonathan Creek and Blood River are really good. Where would be a good clean and reasonable place to stay. We don't need much, just a place to sleep and have a few cocktails. Nothing fancy..
    Also looking for a couple good places to eat. I've been to Patty's. Amazing food.

Thanks for the information.

You don't know how much I appreciate it.

It's hard fishing new areas with little knowledge.. I do enjoy the hunt and trying to find where fish the fish are. Just enjoying the beauty of the lake and wildlife is amazing. Catching fish just makes a great day perfect.

Thanks

Casedog

Post Thanks / Like
    The Dinner Bell and the Brass Lantern are good choices for places to eat. They are both on 68 in the Benton area.

Although a little north of Jonathan Creek Whispering Oaks is a great place to stay. They have the cleanest cabins I have ever stayed at anywhere and the couple who run it are terrific.

http://www.whisperingoaks.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Belew's is also popular if you like an old fashioned drive in where they come to your window to serve you. Great milk shakes! A lot of people love their burgers, I prefer their pork tenderloin sandwich.

It's also on 68 just north of the Brass Lantern.

Post Thanks / Like

Places to Stay

Quote Originally Posted by casedog View Post
    I've heard Jonathan Creek and Blood River are really good. Where would be a good clean and reasonable place to stay. We don't need much, just a place to sleep and have a few cocktails. Nothing fancy..
    Also looking for a couple good places to eat. I've been to Patty's. Amazing food.

Thanks for the information.

You don't know how much I appreciate it.

It's hard fishing new areas with little knowledge.. I do enjoy the hunt and trying to find where fish the fish are. Just enjoying the beauty of the lake and wildlife is amazing. Catching fish just makes a great day perfect.

Thanks

Casedog
    I usually stay in Murray. I travel a lot for work so I have hotel points that I use. It's not very far and I have lots to choose from for food and drink. Usually get a beer, or 8, and watch some college hoops when I'm down there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Barkley better as the water tends to have a little more color to it, and it is closer. I should say I have had better luck with crappie on Barkley than KY.

You can do pretty good just casting jigs or minners under a float around the marked fish attractors. Plus I would try and find a creek channel and follow it and mark brush or beds with my graph and also try up around docks.

I have done well fishing out of the state park at barkley and out of donnelson creek.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Willow pond is also good place to eat and theyre open later than some places.