Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Need info on cave run crappie

I'd like to bring my grandson down to do crappie fishing in the spring.

I'd like to get some information on the crappie at cave run. First question is about when in the spring is a good fishing time. I know it could depend on weather conditions but I'm looking for a idea when things might be heating up so I can schedule something. Get my room, find places to eat, figure some decent spots, ect, ect.
    I'm looking for some place to stay clean, reasonable and accessible to the lake. Would like to get some great places to eat.. and like to get some tips on crappie down there.

Thanks in advance for anyone that could help.

casedog

Post Thanks / Like

Cave Run Crappie

The general rule of thumb is to go when the dogwoods are in bloom. Cave Run crappie fishing is usually best around Easter or shortly after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tips :

If you don't know the lake, avoid the river end.

If you have a depthfinder with GPS capability, go here to find the KDFWR site with GPS coordinates for all the cover they've dropped over the last few years : https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...999999998&z=13

If your grandson is young ... go back into the coves & creeks and fish a minnow under a float around standing timber, starting in the very backs and working your way towards the mouths. Minnow need not be more than 3ft below float if fish are shallow, or 8ft below float if fish are not shallow.

Spawning can take place anytime between mid April - mid May (or whenever water temps get above 60deg --- but, they will be cruising the banks when water temps get above 50deg)

Whenever you go ... observe how/where others are fishing, and if you see a majority of those who are obviously Crappie fishing, doing the same thing, then copy them as best you can.

Can't help on the lodging/restaurant angle ... sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Cave run crappie need info

Thanks for the help. Are the crappie at cave run a nice size normally? The place I fish in Northern Kentucky the crappie and usually small.. I fished Barkley and most of the ones we caught were very nice.

If anyone has any other information on crappie fishing in Cave Run I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Casedog

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by casedog View Post
    Thanks for the help. Are the crappie at cave run a nice size normally? The place I fish in Northern Kentucky the crappie and usually small.. I fished Barkley and most of the ones we caught were very nice.

If anyone has any other information on crappie fishing in Cave Run I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Casedog
    Small crappie are easily found in Cave Run most of the time. The big ones get tougher to locate. Some years it seems the larger fish are non-existent. Depends on the type of hatches that have occurred. There are much better crappie lakes to fish, that is for sure.