Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sideview depthfinder placement question

I am getting a new depthfinder for my boat; it will have sideview as well as downscan and regular sonar. I already have a depthfinder with map at my console but it does not have sideview.

Should I put the new finder with sideview at console and have other moved to the front of the boat by the trolling motor?

Or should I put the new finder with sideview at front of the boat?

I do all my fishing at the front and also get would probably get most use of my depthfinder at the front. At the console I would mostly have the map on while driving the boat.

A future option I have in mind as is put a third depthfinder at the console that has sideview and keep the depthfinder I already have at the console there and keep it on mapping while being able to use scan features on the other depthfinder at the same time.

What do you think? Appreciate feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were me, and it is not, I would move the older sonar to the front and mount the side imaging on the dash. First, I'd mainly use side imaging while searching. I assume we are talking bass fishing here.. But I'd still mount it so I could turn it and see it while up front. I only use a bow mount very sparingly when casting. I also wouldn't like the idea of the side imaging transducer turning as often as I turn the trolling motor. I'd never quite know what I was looking at. Best case would be to have two networked units where you could split a side imaging signal from the back with a TM mounted puck. But I get where you are.. You just want to make the best use of what you currently have.

Post Thanks / Like
    my 2 cents worth, I have two units with side imaging, one on trolling motor and one on console, you get the best image returns, moving a little faster than you would be trolling, so if I had only one unit with side imaging, I think it would be on the console, as you idle alone at 3 or 4 miles per hour searching for and marking fish, you would want the side imaging unit at the console, it just makes more sense to have the unit that your trying to mark fish with, to be on the console. you can see fish from the trolling motor unit, but with the boat moving at the slow speed, your not going to find and mark as many fish. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

placement of new depthfinder with side imaging.

Dwayne and waterdog101; thank you for feedback. I am leaning to eventually getting a third depthfinder in the future; but for now based on your comments and other people I have talked to I think I will have the sideview put at the console and have the other moved to the front of the boat. I may decide I don't really need a third depthfinder. It will all be better that what I have now. Keep improving equipment and learning.