Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are a little late

Wow, I'm a bit blown away by this thread. I haven't been on this site for a year or so. I live about 2 miles from Bluegrass and have always been totally disgusted by the volume of publicity this site puts out there for the pits at Bluegrass, especially its namesake pit. FINALLY I get on here and see some, but not all, having second thoughts now that the damage is done. Well, sorry but its a little late for second thoughts.

For those who think you need to disclose your favorite fishing spots to everybody on the internet because you feel some obligation to assist the DNR's funding, it's hard to know what to say. It seems obvious to me that the DNR is not going out of business. Fishing is going to continue for our lifetimes and beyond. Sure, I think it's nice when more people enjoy fishing and hunting like we do. But to think you need to ruin your spots as a way to preserve our fishing and hunting heritage - I totally disagree.

I do a lot of stream fishing. And I'm smart enough not to say anything here about where or even for what species. When I'm on the creeks tossing artificials, if even ONE person just passed through ahead of me, my chances just went down over 90 percent. I need aggressive, unspooked fish to be successful. Stream fishing forums seem well ahead of forums like this in recognizing that fact. It's more critical on a stream, but once a lake is overrun to the point it's no longer any fun to go there, you've ruined your lake fishing too.

I totally agree that everybody has the same right to be out there as I do. But the fact is the information is available to anybody willing to spend a bit of time and effort. We don't need to post for the entire world to see where we're catching fish. In fact, a lot of the fun of becoming successful at fishing is going through the process of finding your own spots and learning how to fish them. If you're spoon-fed everything you need to know, it cheapens the experience.

Post Thanks / Like

J77 you have not missed much that's for sure

There has not been a whole lot of activity in here in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by j77 View Post
    Wow, I'm a bit blown away by this thread. I haven't been on this site for a year or so. I live about 2 miles from Bluegrass and have always been totally disgusted by the volume of publicity this site puts out there for the pits at Bluegrass, especially its namesake pit. FINALLY I get on here and see some, but not all, having second thoughts now that the damage is done. Well, sorry but its a little late for second thoughts.

For those who think you need to disclose your favorite fishing spots to everybody on the internet because you feel some obligation to assist the DNR's funding, it's hard to know what to say. It seems obvious to me that the DNR is not going out of business. Fishing is going to continue for our lifetimes and beyond. Sure, I think it's nice when more people enjoy fishing and hunting like we do. But to think you need to ruin your spots as a way to preserve our fishing and hunting heritage - I totally disagree.

I do a lot of stream fishing. And I'm smart enough not to say anything here about where or even for what species. When I'm on the creeks tossing artificials, if even ONE person just passed through ahead of me, my chances just went down over 90 percent. I need aggressive, unspooked fish to be successful. Stream fishing forums seem well ahead of forums like this in recognizing that fact. It's more critical on a stream, but once a lake is overrun to the point it's no longer any fun to go there, you've ruined your lake fishing too.

I totally agree that everybody has the same right to be out there as I do. But the fact is the information is available to anybody willing to spend a bit of time and effort. We don't need to post for the entire world to see where we're catching fish. In fact, a lot of the fun of becoming successful at fishing is going through the process of finding your own spots and learning how to fish them. If you're spoon-fed everything you need to know, it cheapens the experience.

Post Thanks / Like

1770 people read this thread

The more we talk about Bluegrass F&W area the more people know about it and the more people love it to death.

I knew that when the IDNR relaxed the motor requirements that these water would be more crowded with larger boats. When Bluegrass First opened it was a canoe or trolling motor boat type lake. It was hard to use my small <16 ft Aluminu Bass boat with it's older Motor Guide HAWG (1978 vintage) trolling motor when the winds kicked up. At times I had to wait for a South to North blowing wind to calm down before I could get back to the South Launch ramp. I got stuck by the Beaver Lodge in the "H" section of the pit for several hours until near sunset as my electric trolling motor and battery were not powerful enough to pull my boat into the wind. . I've since rectified that problem with a newer more powerful Minnkota Trolling Motor and a new more powerful Optima Deep Cycle Battery that I keep fully charged each time I use it. IE I go home and charge the battery up right away and then trickle charge it often to keep if in good shape.

Now sometime after the lakes opened to the public around 2004/5 the IDNR started to allow gas motors on the lake. They are required to go at "Idle Speed" only but idle speed means different things to different people. See my U tube videos. Do a search for speeding on bluegrass pit in the google U Tube videos online. Not everyone obeys the speed limits out there. Now I can see if a storm had snuck up on you while you are fishing and there is lighting starting up. That's when I would kick it into high gear and risk getting a ticket instead of getting struck by lighting out on the water. But I've never had to do that. I don't go fishing when there are thunder storms near by and if I am out fishing an a thunderstorm springs up I head into the launch ramp and get off the water. I was only 8 years old and living down in Florida when a man got hit by lighting while out on the water in his boat. That made the local news papers in Clearwater Florida back in 1957 summer or maybe it was in 1958. Either way he died and that made a huge impression on me. I don't get on the water when there is a chance of lighting around. You are the tallest thing on the water usually and for some reason lighting and water are attracted to each other. And if you are on top of the water when the lighting strikes then you are toast.

But Back to the increasing number of boats, kayaks and people fishing and using the area. I posted a link in another thread about fishing etiquette. Everyone should read though some of the comments and maybe add some of your own comments in that thread. Please keep it civil though.

[QUOTE=Moveon;559984]The more we post about BG the more people that come to fish there and the more crowded it gets?

I

Post Thanks / Like

You give this site and other sites too much credit

Some interesting, but arrogant people in here. You give this site and other sites too much credit. You really think most fishermen are too stupid to figure out where the good fishing is? Social media was barely a thing back when Turtle Creek become the hottest place for bass and every body and their grandma was going there and catching coolers full.

There are only so many public accessible pits/lakes around here and even less with ramps that allow bigger boats. You really think they'll never figure it out with such limited choices?

Nobody likes crowds, whether they want to admit it or not. Things only become an issue when others get territorial. A lot of fishermen claim to have been fishing those pits long before this or that or that or this happened. Yeah? Probably why the fishing ended up so crappy, it was all unregulated and illegal so they kept coolers full of big bass every day of the week, cleaning the place out. Now that it's regulated the good fishing is slowly making a come back. Their illegal days are over where just a hand full of people were willing to risk getting caught and had the whole place to themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Your in big trouble. LOL
    did you hear on the news there talking about a res. as big as patoka lake to help with the water problems caused by pidgeon creek.

Post Thanks / Like
    The same thing has been happening in Minnesota the last 4 or 5 years. Somebody post a pic of a monster walleye or bluegill caught through the ice and the next couple of years the lake in packed. They even caught a couple of businesses making fake posts on boards to fill their hotels.
    This site was great in the early 2000's, but it's definitely become a tight lipped community the last 10 years with all the babyboomers retiring and getting heavy into fishing. My Dad being one of those guys refuses to tell people what lake we fish on in Minnesota.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I heard something about Pigeon Creek flloding problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ron wire View Post
    did you hear on the news there talking about a res. as big as patoka lake to help with the water problems caused by pidgeon creek.
    As big as Patoka Lake? wow

Post Thanks / Like

Otter Pit is only 90 acres Bluegrass is 190 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Your in big trouble. LOL
    I forgot to say that the pits in the Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area as relatively small lakes. 210 acres for Loon Pit which is the largest of all the pits at BGFWA.

IN could use a few more larger reservoirs. IMHO