Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I've read where these fish are good to eat, and with so many people in the world needing food each day, why don't some people start a market for them and ship them world wide, the commercial fishing nets should be easy filled with the fish, seams like the carp are running near the surface of the lakes, they could market the fish world wide at a very cheap price, to help keep the supply in high demand, and the states that are so infested with the carp like KY, could stop wasting money on what ever method, they have been using to control the carp and failing so bad at. and use the money to subsidized the price the commercial fishermen are getting, for keeping the fish eaters around the world well feed, and by doing so free our lakes of carp, and remove the worry from our tax collectors... it could be like killing two birds with one stone..
    There are some commercial canneries & commercial fisherman doing just that ... the problem being that it's not that simple or cost effective to make that big of a dent in the population.
    Likes GeoFisher, CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be cost effective for them to occasionally work with commercial fisherman and have their boat that shocks fish locate a large school and shock them and then let the fisherman follow and scoop them up with nets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I think it would be cost effective for them to occasionally work with commercial fisherman and have their boat that shocks fish locate a large school and shock them and then let the fisherman follow and scoop them up with nets.
    Cost effectiveness -
    Probably not unless the price per pound gets much higher than it currently is ... commercial fishermen can't justify their costs when they're only getting about $0.15/lb

Electroshock boats -
    The electroshocking equipment normally used by the KDFWR may not be sophisticated enough to immobilize Asian Carp, according to this article : https://www.fws.gov/fieldnotes/regmap.cfm?arskey=30806

Since the fish have been loose in our water systems since back in the 1970's, and have been a noticeable threat to our fisheries for a decade or two .... I think all the "simple" fixes have been proven ineffective. It's likely going to take a biological/chemical remedy to bring them under control. They're pretty much here to stay, IMHO ... so we need to give up on eliminating them, and concentrate on controlling their numbers (and their spread).

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought they were already commercial fishing for them and there were two or three processing plants that service the Asian carp markets.

I do believe that the state does help subsidize the the pricing.

I was just thinking that using the electricity would help assist them to take larger quantities more easily. However if that id ineffective on them it obviously wouldn't help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I thought they were already commercial fishing for them and there were two or three processing plants that service the Asian carp markets.

I do believe that the state does help subsidize the the pricing.

I was just thinking that using the electricity would help assist them to take larger quantities more easily. However if that id ineffective on them it obviously wouldn't help.
    Yes, they are already commercial fishing for them ... they almost HAVE TO, since the other rough fish they used to fish for have declined in numbers. I just don't know how many commercial fishermen groups are actively engaged.

Yes, there are several processing plants in the Western Ky region. The newest one is in Hickman, Ky. But, even with the state subsidy of 5cts per pound and the processing plants 10cts per pound (total of 15cts/lb) ... the costs of commercial fishermen are not always offset at that price per pound. Consider that price per pound against the 50cts per pound of catfish, for instance.

(some statistics/info was taken from this article - http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/2933...n-carp-fishing )

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw a youtube video a couple years ago where some guys, in another state as I recall, drove a boat around in circles to get carp jumping around them and started slaying them with shotgun. Looked like an awesome time! How soon can we get a carp shotgun season put into effect!?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Yes, they are already commercial fishing for them ... they almost HAVE TO, since the other rough fish they used to fish for have declined in numbers. I just don't know how many commercial fishermen groups are actively engaged.

Yes, there are several processing plants in the Western Ky region. The newest one is in Hickman, Ky. But, even with the state subsidy of 5cts per pound and the processing plants 10cts per pound (total of 15cts/lb) ... the costs of commercial fishermen are not always offset at that price per pound. Consider that price per pound against the 50cts per pound of catfish, for instance.

(some statistics/info was taken from this article - http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/2933...n-carp-fishing )

... pappy
    That was why I was thinking about ways the state could possibly assist them. Too bad the shocking boats apparently aren't effective on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    Saw a youtube video a couple years ago where some guys, in another state as I recall, drove a boat around in circles to get carp jumping around them and started slaying them with shotgun. Looked like an awesome time! How soon can we get a carp shotgun season put into effect!?!?

LOL, And we think the jet skiers are a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not cost effective because the carp still don't pay per pound what other fish do. Catching the carp is not a problem.

http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Pages/Commercial-Fishing.aspx
    Click on the link on the right hand side of the page that is the excel file.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently I have done a poor job explaining what I meant.

I understand completely Asian carp are not the most profitable fish for commercial fisherman. This threads discussion was about our tax money going towards the problem. My point was since they already own the equipment for shocking fish it might be a cost effective way for the state to spend some of that tax money in helping to assist with the harvesting that already is occurring. I doubt those commercial fisherman that are currently harvesting Asian carp would refuse any assistance offered from the state.

However since it sounds like shocking is not effective on these fish the point is moot regardless.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I've read where these fish are good to eat, and with so many people in the world needing food each day, why don't some people start a market for them and ship them world wide, the commercial fishing nets should be easy filled with the fish, seams like the carp are running near the surface of the lakes, they could market the fish world wide at a very cheap price, to help keep the supply in high demand, and the states that are so infested with the carp like KY, could stop wasting money on what ever method, they have been using to control the carp and failing so bad at. and use the money to subsidized the price the commercial fishermen are getting, for keeping the fish eaters around the world well feed, and by doing so free our lakes of carp, and remove the worry from our tax collectors... it could be like killing two birds with one stone..

They are GREAT to eat. Hard to clean though. A big issue with locals harvesting them is the the stigma with eating a trash fish, and cleaning them.

For the First issue......they are NOT a trash fish, and should probably be renamed something so folks will stop calling them "carp" and start eating the **** out of them. Their flesh is extremely mild, and they take to pretty much any cooking method.

I've baked , fried, grilled, blackened them.......

For the Second Issue..........Cleaning is a hard task. Lots of work. But they are good, and if you watch some of the videos, they are not too bad. A couple 30lb fish will make for CRAZY GOOD fish fry.

Flying Carp Wings....look it up......That is a great way to prepare and cook if you ask me.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget that when you are attempting to electroshock them, you could also be shocking whatever native species that are in the area and have to deal with that as well. I'm sure there are smarter minds than mine that could figure out how to get around that perhaps. Maybe up the subsidy during their spawning time to persuade commercial fishermen to go after them. Probably this all has been thought out by the minds that are in charge. Just wondering out loud.