Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I haven't seen a single one, snagged one or had one of those carp to jump in my boat yet, and I've fished the ky river, Ohio river, Ky lake, Barkley lake, Dale hollow, Cherokee, Norris lakes in tn, Weiss lake, Guntersville lakes in Alabama, Sardis lake in Mississippi, and santee cooper in SC. makes me wonder if the carp problem is as bad as the tax collectors are saying it is..
    So you don't fish or boat on these waterways? How else could you not notice them?
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen a single one, snagged one or had one of those carp to jump in my boat yet, and I've fished the ky river, Ohio river, Ky lake, Barkley lake, Dale hollow, Cherokee, Norris lakes in tn, Weiss lake, Guntersville lakes in Alabama, Sardis lake in Mississippi, and santee cooper in SC. makes me wonder if the carp problem is as bad as the tax collectors are saying it is..
    Not a fan of tax increases but I can assure you there are vast numbers of them on Barkley / KY. Whether you experience the jumpers or not can be a matter of circumstance. First off the bigheads aren't jumpers - it is only the silvers that go flying. Generally when you run near them is when they trigger and if you are up on plane they end up jumping behind the boat so chances are you won't even see them. Second I have noticed metal hulls make a big difference in triggering them. They don't jump near as much around my glass boat but when in the pontoon puttering about look out (combination metal hull and slow speed). I am grateful for the high rails on the pontoon as we have only had 2 clear but they do some times leave a flying mess when they bang off the rails. It sure gets your attention when leisurely putting along taking in the sights when a 20 pound missile careens off the rails a good 4 feet off the water. Another peculiarity I can't explain - I fish both lakes pretty equally and see big schools on both lakes but I have not seen a jumper on KY where as on Barkley it is pretty common. The only thing I can figure is I have noted most of the jumpers I encounter on Barkley are on deeper flats where they are up on the surface feeding- say 6 to 8 feet deep give or take. Fishing north KY I see big schools on the surface feeding but they tend to be over much deeper water so maybe they don't jump as much when over deeper water. Whatever the case they are there and in ever growing numbers. I was kind of hopeful the fish processing plants and commercial fisherman might make a dent...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    Then you don't fish.....seriously.

I see them every time I'm on KY or Barkley.

They are horrible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    IF they are, then someone PUT THEM THERE !! They are in the Salt River, BELOW the Taylorsville Dam ... I can verify that. But, there's no way for them to be IN Taylorsville Lake, other than being manually placed there.
    They look EXACTLY like a Threadfin Shad, so they WILL end up in Taylorsville. By accident, but someone will dump bait and undoubtedly there will be an influx of Asian Carp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm always blown away by the amount of people (including scientists) who genuinely believe this can be stopped. It's a losing battle. Nature is the only mechanism which will "figure it out." I personally think that over time they will evolve down in size.

Post Thanks / Like

have you checked your deodorant to see if it's working ? J/K

I've not see any either. Maybe we smell bad and they stay away from us? Note: I'm just poking fun and don't mean any disrespect. But there must be a reason why you and I have not seen any yet. My reason is that I don't get the boat out on the water much in the last two years so there is no way I'm going to see them if I'm not out on the water anymore. They are definitely in the Ohio River and KY and Barkley Lake. I guess in a few more years they will be there in much greater numbers if we don't figure out a way to get rid of them without killing all the other fish as the same time. If not we are going to have to kill all the fish from here down to the mississippie river where it dumps into the gulf of Mexico in order to rid the USA of these beastly fish. I fear that they are here to stay and we will just have to learn to live with them as the Asian people do. They came from Asia.

In school we were taught that it was best to keep foreign species out of the USA on land and water. As we don't have natural predators for these foreign species to help control their population when they are brought into the USA. Take the Starling that fly around in huge flocks these day. They over populated our skies and poop on our vehicles by the hundreds. They were brought over here by someone from Europe or Britain. And they have expanded their numbers greatly just as the Asian Carp have. Then there is the plant called Kudzu which grows out of control in the Southern Regions of the USA. We have some of that growing on Red Bank Road on the West Side of Evansville, IN.

We have large constrictor snakes that have invaded the everglades in Southern Florida and they are working their way up north slowly but surely as did the Asian Carp. Yet no one has a way to control them. People are finding their small dogs missing and then seeing a Burmese Python with the dog inside it. They even have been fishing the vicious Rock Pythons in Florida and some experimental data shows that these snakes can survive in North Carolina and South Caroline as well as in the Everglades.

The cat is out of the bag now. So grab your baseball bats and batman shield or Captain America Shields and have someone use them up at the front of your boat while underway to fend off these heavy and solid flying fish from hitting you in the face as your going down the lake at 60 mph. Or slow down and be more careful until we figure out how to get rid of them.

Like I said the only good they do for us fishermen is that they also jump out of the water and hit those Water Rats (jet skiers) that fly all around the lake in the hot summer months and disturb our fishing holes. And the water skiers that send waves into our boats as we fish at anchor also have to slow down or potentially get a fish in their face going 30 mph behind the ski boat. I use to water ski but could not wear my eye glasses or my contact lens while skiing. If I fell and went into the Water Face first the contacts would pop out and I'd lose them. And back then there were expensive to replace. These days I don't have to wear eye glassed to see at a distance anymore. Only when I'm using the computer screen or reading a book do I need those cheap reading glasses to see the fine print. But when I did water ski I could not see much out in front of me. I could not see the facial expressions of my friends in the ski boat and that took a lot of fun out of skiing for me. So I ended up driving the boat a lot more than actually doing the skiing My wife and daughter too the fishing away as all they wanted to do when camping at Patoka Lake or Barkley is water ski.. I got very little fishing time in when I was still married.

So we need everyone to figure out a way to rid the waters of these new exotic and please don't allow anyone else to bring any more exotic species to the USA anymore. The consequences of doing that can be disastrous.

Post Thanks / Like
    They seem to be the most apt to get in your boat when you are at what I would call a fast idle. About 5-8 mph they get rowdy.

Had one jump in the boat while hunting backwater this year. bounced off my passenger and ended up on the batteries in the bilge area. He popped the terminals of the searchlight i was using off and left us in the dark. It was the first time the guy I was hunting with had experienced them and freaked him out.

I always forget about them until the first start jumping. One of them baseball bats with barbed wire wrapped on it would be fitting for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I've not see any either. Maybe we smell bad and they stay away from us? Note: I'm just poking fun and don't mean any disrespect. But there must be a reason why you and I have not seen any yet. My reason is that I don't get the boat out on the water much in the last two years so there is no way I'm going to see them if I'm not out on the water anymore. They are definitely in the Ohio River and KY and Barkley Lake. I guess in a few more years they will be there in much greater numbers if we don't figure out a way to get rid of them without killing all the other fish as the same time. If not we are going to have to kill all the fish from here down to the mississippie river where it dumps into the gulf of Mexico in order to rid the USA of these beastly fish. I fear that they are here to stay and we will just have to learn to live with them as the Asian people do. They came from Asia.

In school we were taught that it was best to keep foreign species out of the USA on land and water. As we don't have natural predators for these foreign species to help control their population when they are brought into the USA. Take the Starling that fly around in huge flocks these day. They over populated our skies and poop on our vehicles by the hundreds. They were brought over here by someone from Europe or Britain. And they have expanded their numbers greatly just as the Asian Carp have. Then there is the plant called Kudzu which grows out of control in the Southern Regions of the USA. We have some of that growing on Red Bank Road on the West Side of Evansville, IN.

We have large constrictor snakes that have invaded the everglades in Southern Florida and they are working their way up north slowly but surely as did the Asian Carp. Yet no one has a way to control them. People are finding their small dogs missing and then seeing a Burmese Python with the dog inside it. They even have been fishing the vicious Rock Pythons in Florida and some experimental data shows that these snakes can survive in North Carolina and South Caroline as well as in the Everglades.

The cat is out of the bag now. So grab your baseball bats and batman shield or Captain America Shields and have someone use them up at the front of your boat while underway to fend off these heavy and solid flying fish from hitting you in the face as your going down the lake at 60 mph. Or slow down and be more careful until we figure out how to get rid of them.

Like I said the only good they do for us fishermen is that they also jump out of the water and hit those Water Rats (jet skiers) that fly all around the lake in the hot summer months and disturb our fishing holes. And the water skiers that send waves into our boats as we fish at anchor also have to slow down or potentially get a fish in their face going 30 mph behind the ski boat. I use to water ski but could not wear my eye glasses or my contact lens while skiing. If I fell and went into the Water Face first the contacts would pop out and I'd lose them. And back then there were expensive to replace. These days I don't have to wear eye glassed to see at a distance anymore. Only when I'm using the computer screen or reading a book do I need those cheap reading glasses to see the fine print. But when I did water ski I could not see much out in front of me. I could not see the facial expressions of my friends in the ski boat and that took a lot of fun out of skiing for me. So I ended up driving the boat a lot more than actually doing the skiing My wife and daughter too the fishing away as all they wanted to do when camping at Patoka Lake or Barkley is water ski.. I got very little fishing time in when I was still married.

So we need everyone to figure out a way to rid the waters of these new exotic and please don't allow anyone else to bring any more exotic species to the USA anymore. The consequences of doing that can be disastrous.
    yes, I know we have them in our rivers and lakes, I've seen enough videos that folks have made of them jumping out of the water, to know we have them, I just said I haven't seen any myself, we have them, are they as bad a problem as the tax collectors say they are, I don't know, I don't believe every thing people tell me, when they are trying to get in my wallet, some leaders will cartoon you, if it will profit them, remember a few years back, some leaders even went to war, over people stretching the truth about weapons of mass destruction, the ones that were in the know, were so sure they were there, but they just vanished like a puff of smoke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    lots of guys go down there and throw cast nets for shad and take them up in the lake for catfish bait. Im willing to bet that thats how they have gotten in there. If they even are. I was watching ky afield when a biologist had reported seeing a small school of asian carp on the lake. With that being the only report ive heard of, who knows still dont understand why anyone would throw a net fown there when the lakes overflowing with shad
    Transferring bait like that is highly illegal now. Down at KY and Barkley they can also lock through.

The lakes without locks are protected from the locking through problem but transferring bait from below a dam to above the dam on a lake without locks (or one lake to another) can get it started in the lake real fast. A Juvenile asian carp looks just like a gizzard shad. Google it. It will blow your mind. That is why they passed the regulation-no transferring shad from one body of water to another. If you see somebody doing it please remind them that it could start a real problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    Not a fan of tax increases but I can assure you there are vast numbers of them on Barkley / KY. Whether you experience the jumpers or not can be a matter of circumstance. First off the bigheads aren't jumpers - it is only the silvers that go flying. Generally when you run near them is when they trigger and if you are up on plane they end up jumping behind the boat so chances are you won't even see them. Second I have noticed metal hulls make a big difference in triggering them. They don't jump near as much around my glass boat but when in the pontoon puttering about look out (combination metal hull and slow speed). I am grateful for the high rails on the pontoon as we have only had 2 clear but they do some times leave a flying mess when they bang off the rails. It sure gets your attention when leisurely putting along taking in the sights when a 20 pound missile careens off the rails a good 4 feet off the water. Another peculiarity I can't explain - I fish both lakes pretty equally and see big schools on both lakes but I have not seen a jumper on KY where as on Barkley it is pretty common. The only thing I can figure is I have noted most of the jumpers I encounter on Barkley are on deeper flats where they are up on the surface feeding- say 6 to 8 feet deep give or take. Fishing north KY I see big schools on the surface feeding but they tend to be over much deeper water so maybe they don't jump as much when over deeper water. Whatever the case they are there and in ever growing numbers. I was kind of hopeful the fish processing plants and commercial fisherman might make a dent...

kc
    Very interesting. I have never heard of the differences in fiberglass and aluminum boats triggering them. I am an "aluminum boat junky" but might have to switch to fiberglass if I get knocked out a few times. It has been a long time since I got a football in the face.

On another note-I am claiming "in my mind" spring is here! Goin' to the lake in a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pintail311 View Post
    I'm always blown away by the amount of people (including scientists) who genuinely believe this can be stopped. It's a losing battle. Nature is the only mechanism which will "figure it out." I personally think that over time they will evolve down in size.
    Most of the scientists, and other experts I've heard/read don't claim it can be stopped, only lessened. And because WHAT they eat--plankton--is the life blood of the aquatic food chain, unless their numbers are brought down the only thing that may stop them is when their food source is gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've read where these fish are good to eat, and with so many people in the world needing food each day, why don't some people start a market for them and ship them world wide, the commercial fishing nets should be easy filled with the fish, seams like the carp are running near the surface of the lakes, they could market the fish world wide at a very cheap price, to help keep the supply in high demand, and the states that are so infested with the carp like KY, could stop wasting money on what ever method, they have been using to control the carp and failing so bad at. and use the money to subsidized the price the commercial fishermen are getting, for keeping the fish eaters around the world well feed, and by doing so free our lakes of carp, and remove the worry from our tax collectors... it could be like killing two birds with one stone..