Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sauger fishing, lock and dam #4

Friend and I are putting on the river shortly and going to try to catch us a sauger or two. Or whatever else that accidentally runs into our hooks. Never tried this before. My boat is in shop preparing for the rest of the spring, taking friends pontoon out. Gonna try jigs tipped with minnows and maybe see if tipping them with night crawler will work as well. Can't waste today not fishing! It's terrible to be retired 😜🙄! Wish us luck please.

Post Thanks / Like
    I reckon I ought to say for those who haven't guessed where lock and dam #4 is. It is on the Ky river in Frankfort

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice day to be on the water, in February! We caught 6 sauger. Not bad for never fishing for them on purpose. The biggest was 15 1/2" and the smallest 12". They lived to see another day. I have eaten them before, they are delicious. Just didn't feel like fooling with cleaning the legal ones (3). They preferred nightcrawers to minnows today. I threw a 3 1/2 inch smoke pepper tube jig on a 1/4 ounce jig head that I painted chartreuse, all my jigs were black and blue that I had so I improvised. My buddy just used a worm on the jig head. He got two. Did loose a couple that seemed nice. Wasn't setting the hook. I finally found my trigger. We backed off the dam alittle to just about the bend, just on the break of the current when they started to hit. Someone that knew what they were doing would probably be stinking up a skillet this evening. Anyhow, good day on the water. I could get used to fishing out of a pontoon. Plus, I can hear now! They're cooking that Buffalo Trace recipe and that steam pipe was a roaring!
    Last edited by CaptObvious; 02-21-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Likes riverrat12, jcb, Tacklebag23, Tyme2fish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you launch? About what time of day was this. Ive been fishing that exact stretch with no luck using very similar tactics. Only thing im catchin is small cats

Post Thanks / Like
    We got on the water about 11:30. I've got a key to the Buffalo Trace private launch. The only places that I know you can launch from on pool #3 during the off season for the locks are from the Ky River Campgrounds or Steele Branch boat ramp or on Elkhorn creek at that campground