Search Fishin.com

Technonorb Guest

Kentucky Lake info.

Anyone fishing Ky. Lake that may provide any Crappie and lake condition info.? Thanks TR

Post Thanks / Like
    www.kentuckylake.com has new reports up.

Post Thanks / Like

If you know the phone number for the resorts downt here call

I would call the resorts and see if they are catching any crappie. Not sure how truthful they may be. They want to rent cabins to more people and sell goods and services so they are tempted to tell you that the fish are biting when they may not be just to get you to stay there. But I'd bet that is the minority of the resort owners. They can't do that too many times before the clients catch on and move on to another resort that's more truthful.

There are so many resorts down at KY lake that rent cabins or let you camp on their land.

It's a little too early for the spawn as I think that's triggered more by the length of the day and nights than the sunshine and water temps. But I could be wrong. I learned that from some one years ago and I hope that they are right about the timing of the spawn being related to the lenght of the daylight vs night.

I went to the crappie university class last Wed and Mike Bledsoe was talking. He said he was catching crappie in 3 ft of water in the shallows by catching a bobber with a very light weight small jig on the end. He matched the bobber size *Styrofoam" to the very light weight 1/48 oz jig head and used a small plastic on the jig head. He used 4 lb test line that's Hi Vis type so he can see the line if it moves. He watches the bobber for any unusual movement and then sets the hook. Got to sneak up on the fish when in shallow water. Turn off the depth finder as it's ping will make noise in the water. Don't bang on the boat or drop things on the floor as that can spook the bigger crappie in shallow water. Use long poles or cast to the fish and keep your boat back out in the deeper water. watch the wind directions for the past days and see where the winds push the warmer surface waters. Normally a warm spell means a wind out of the South for a few days and that means that water will move NORTHWARD. Head north young man. Check out the Northern Lagoons and or shallow areas as the warm water will pile up there first. Areas with a Southern Exposure will heat up faster and the North bays will be more protected from the Northerly Winds when a cold front comes though the area.

I know some area where I've seen older guys who live right on the water catch big fish after big fish on day while I was watching him. He finally quit and headed back across the bay to his dock and went into his house. I motored over to where he was fishing and found out that the water was not more than 3 ft deep. I didn't see any brush piles but using an old Humminbird 8000 unit it would be hard to find a brush pile in an acres area as the cone angle is only 20 deg and the water is so shallow. I would have to be lucky to get the transducer right over his brush pile or what ever was holding those big crappie there that day . But I did see that he was casting out to the fish in the shallow waters. And this was in the very back of a huge bay on KY lake. He was way back in the area where the creeks run into the back of the bay. The little streams feed the back of the bay with warmer water too. I need to remember that the next time I go there to fish. It was early April the last time I was there with a friend and we only fished for a few hours as we didn't spend the night there. We got up early and drove up there for 4 hours and then had to drive home at the end of the day. I'll never do that again. I'm used to going there and renting a cabin or the week and having more time to fish. These days I run a nice Side Scanning Sonar unit and I would now be better able to see brush piles or stick ups in that 3 ft water. The SI unit can send out signals to 240 ft on both sides. And I could also use the higher frequency 800 KHz sounds to see the bottom in high detail. Although the 800 KHz frequency sounds don't travel as far as the 455 KHz and the 200 KHz frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Technonorb View Post
    Anyone fishing Ky. Lake that may provide any Crappie and lake condition info.? Thanks TR
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post