Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll play devil's advocate on this (but not to diminish the severity of the problem) :

I'd like to know -

How many fish were tested
    What species of fish were tested
    Where those fish were taken from

Seems to me, considering the location of the power plant being so close to the dam ... and the water flow towards the dam ... that a lot of that "polluted" water should be localized.

And something else that may prove to be a problem, if in fact the polluted water IS being washed thru the dam, is that the Dix River trout population would be receiving as much or more chemical pollution as the area between the coal ash drainage & the dam.

And chemical pollution from the power plant is only one factor ... considering all the stuff that's dumped into the lake (from all parts of it), and the hundreds of old 55gal drums that have been sunk in that lake, containing who knows what. Remember ... originally, most docks were floated by 55gal drums, long before styrofoam blocks were used. And many of those were sunk, after getting loose from those docks, so as to not be a hazard to water traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    CrappiePappy,

I am not looking to pick a fight but it does not MATTER how the data was taken only that it is IN the water and fish at dangerous levels.

But you are %100 right that it affects the trout in the Dix river all of the Sauger below lock 7 that people love to eat. All of the crappie and catfish.

Also that is a great point about the 100's of miles of shoreline that can also have problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    CrappiePappy,

I am not looking to pick a fight but it does not MATTER how the data was taken only that it is IN the water and fish at dangerous levels.

But you are %100 right that it affects the trout in the Dix river all of the Sauger below lock 7 that people love to eat. All of the crappie and catfish.

Also that is a great point about the 100's of miles of shoreline that can also have problems.

Not looking to pick any fights, either ... that's why I said I was playing devil's advocate, but not to diminish the severity of the problem.

I was just curious, and that's why I asked those 3 questions.

I fish Watts Bar, and eat the Crappie that I catch from there ... and they had a massive coal ash spill back in 2008. But theirs was in one of the tributary rivers, up river from the main lake where I fish. The 2012 TWRA's consumption advisory does not list Crappie ... and the fish it does list are PCB contaminated, not from any chemicals from the coal ash (like arsenic, selenium, etc). Their coal ash spill amounted to 1.1 Billion gallons of coal ash slurry, all at once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pappy I know you are not. I was just making sure you knew I wasn't.

Hopefully it is localized and we can do something about it. The problem is that our rivers and streams all over the state have been poisoned for some company to make money off our resources and then not give any back to the communities.

Remember the good folks in Harlan. "Which side are you on?"
    Last edited by Buzzy; 03-11-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    Pappy I know you are not. I was just making sure you knew I wasn't.

Hopefully it is localized and we can do something about it. The problem is that are rivers and streams all over the state have been poisoned for some company to make money off our resources and then not give any back to the communities.

Remember the good folks in Harlan. "Which side are you on?"

I'm just as concerned about it as you are, my friend !! That's why I keep up with the advisory list, and inform others to do the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's un-telling how much aluminum is in the bottom of the lake all over.Wonder if that causes any type problem in the cleanly-ness of the water ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishalltime View Post
    There's un-telling how much aluminum is in the bottom of the lake all over.Wonder if that causes any type problem in the cleanly-ness of the water ?
    There's a whole lot more than just some aluminum down there, but in all likelihood it's probably so deep that there's no oxygen to deteriorate it at that depth. There's a covered bridge, the old mill foundation, and probably a lot of the old farms & stuff that was left when the lake was filled. Much of it is probably silted in, after all these decades since the lake was formed. I'm just speculating, of course.
    I've fished the lake for over 60yrs & eaten fish from there up until about 10yrs ago ... I haven't had any medical reports that show any kind of chemical or metal contamination in my system. That's not to say that there isn't water quality problems at the lake, far from it !! Best we can do is keep a watchful eye on the situation, and respond accordingly.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Critical Thinking

Where/ who says that 90% of fish sampled have selenium poisoning? How many fish did they sample? Where on the lake did these fish get sampled from, or was it all over? What kind of fish were sampled? How many other lakes are like this or have any other lakes been sampled? How was it the fault of the companies? I believe that these facts are something we need to check on before making up our minds.

^^^^ I had not read crappypappie's comment before posting this

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishalltime View Post
    It is not just the chemicals............some lakes are naturally devoid of some life due to the fertility of the lake.

Now in this area, it doesn't make sense with all the farming fertilizer runoff.

It is definitely a double edged sword and something to be managed, BUT we all need to understand that while clean water is an obvious necessity, so is meat, chicken, turkey, soybeans, corn, alfalfa, etc, etc, etc, etc, So is heat, and lighting, and air conditioning, and , and, and , and..........

WE all consume the commodity items above and those commodity items have consequences. We need to try as much as we can to mitigate those consequences, but we will never get to a perfect solution. We might get to a balanced solution though.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

fish bioaccumulate the toxin in the food chain

The zoo plankton consumes the selenium out of the water and then gets eaten by small fish and or minnow which in turn get eaten by larger fish. By the time we humans eat the fish there is a lot more selenium in the fish tissue and it gets into our bodies in larger quantities than if you just drink the water containing the small amounts of the selenium. That's why the fish consumption warning are important to read about.

We have a lake here IN Southern IN that has the same problem. It's a cooling pond lake for Gibson Power plant and it was closed to fishing a while back due to the built up of selenium in the water and fish life. The larger and older the fish the more selenium it may have in it's body.

I studied Biochemistry at Purdue University one semester and we had to collect different field mice and then dissect the different organs out of the mice and test the organs for DDT or PCBs. The PhD Professor ran the study and reported the results and we students did the grunt work for him and for our class grade. I think he found that different organs contained different amounts of the DDT. The liver was one organ that probably contained the most DDT of all the organs. The brains and hearts the least amount of DDT. But there was some DDT found though out the body.

A fish will probably accumulate the selenium in their livers and other organs and fatty tissues. But they may not deposit as much in the muscle tissue where the fillets come from. It all depends on the fish species and what they eat. But if they say not to eat the fish then I would move to another lake to fish. Why take on extra body toxins if you can avoid it. You younger kids may think you are invincible but when you get older you may regret not listening and avoiding all the toxin you can. The government won't try to scare you and in fact they are very reluctant to notify people about problems that can be blamed on the politicians. And businesses are even worst about notifying the public about the amount of pollution they put in the air an water. That's a highly kept secret if they can help it. The Government requires them to make reports but they don't double check the data and depend on the business to police it self. That's not always a good idea unless the Government makes unannounced spot inspections and does smoke stack test to confirm the data. Some companies hire 3rd party labs to test the air and water for them and the private labs report the data back to the company directly. Only then does the company turn that data over to the government. And you can bet if you give the company too many reports that can get them into trouble they may not hire your 3rd party company ever again and get someone else to do that job. I've been there and done that. I worked for an environmental lab and did testing on various companies for them. I worked with the USEPA hazardous Pollutants such as lead, mercury and asbestos which are all NESHAPS type pollutant that companies are required to control. I remember our Atomic Absorption Analyzer operator, Jeff Cleek, (Chemist from USI) worked with water samples from various companies. Mostly the coal companies in the area that had open pit mines and had to drill test wells and have the well water sampled and tested on a quarterly or semi annual basis. We did that work for the coal companies and selenium was one of the parameter Jeff tested for in those water sample. Jeff is a fisherman too. So he probably knows where the most contaminates are located as he did that job for a while before he moved on to a better and bigger job for his rich uncle. Black Beauty Coal Company Owner, Steven Chancellor. Core Laboratories did work for Peabody coal too. Tim Steiner was our salesman and he passed away from colon cancer last year. Tim was a good guy and so was Jeff. Both were scientist. Tim was a geologist and as I said Jeff had his degree in Chemistry from USI. Jeff had a near photographic memory and Tim was very smart too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Danville intake pipes for water is just around the corner, think I will start buying bottle water. Let's worrie about the fish but not the people who drink it or bath in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The solution to pollution is dilution.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	organize-fish-.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	14628