Search Fishin.com

Thread: Wolf Creek Dam

Post Thanks / Like

Wolf Creek Dam

Does anyone have a report on the walleye fishing below the dam?

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard from a guy earlier this week that they were catching them real early in the morning down there. Not sure how reliable the report is and didn't get any specifics.
    Likes killer3862 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why do they call them Walleye?

Their eyes are designed to hunt in low level light. Thus the name walleye. So they would normally bite best and be hunting for food under low light conditions or deep in the water. But in the early morning before the sun gets up they come up in to shallower water to feed until the sun comes up and then they go back down into deeper water where the light levels is lower. I caught lots of walleye by back trolling and using long lining of live bait on live bait rigs. Adding some spinners to the rig and some red beads helps the bite pick up. Slow trolling in the deeper water works pretty good up in Ontario Canada on Eagle Lake. Nothing beats a good walleye when it comes to eating fish.

Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    I heard from a guy earlier this week that they were catching them real early in the morning down there. Not sure how reliable the report is and didn't get any specifics.

Post Thanks / Like

Water Below the Dam-Burksville

I've been down a couple times targeting walleye this year. Only caught 1. Haven't seen anyone else catch any either. Thinking about heading down to Burksville this weekend. Anyone know what all this rain will do to the river? Do you think it will be muddy by say Saturday? I went a couple times through the summer after some decent rains and the river remained clear. Thanks for any info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zofishky View Post
    I've been down a couple times targeting walleye this year. Only caught 1. Haven't seen anyone else catch any either. Thinking about heading down to Burksville this weekend. Anyone know what all this rain will do to the river? Do you think it will be muddy by say Saturday? I went a couple times through the summer after some decent rains and the river remained clear. Thanks for any info!
    I don't think there was enough rain to make a big impact on the river. The lake has remained at winter pool with no effort this year. One of the driest seasons I have ever seen in my short time. I would think they will stock pile the water and use it to generate on a steadier schedule. At least this is my hope

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy walleye/sauger

Caught a sauger about four river miles down from Burkesville last weekend. I only got to fish for 2 hr. I have seen people catch 8-16# walleyes down there late afternoon early evening. I caught the sauger on a 1/2 oz Fireball jig with a motor oil twister tail tipped with a crawler. Then verticle jigged it drifting in my boat. Thats how we fished em in Michigan rivers most of the time. I had multiple hits but they were short. Next time I will add a stinger hook. One old-timer fishing my boat launch said the walleyes are up at the dam. I ll be down again in two weeks. My field should be disced up but I ll have clover and trees to plant so not sure how much time I ll have to fish again. I did find some nice artifacts though when I wasn't fishing.
    Likes killer3862 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With the changing water levels at the dam because of the odd generating times, the walleye fishing by the dam is hit or miss. Mostly miss for me. It is hard to fish from the bank because only certain spots produce on a regular basis and with the changing water flows it is hard to figure out where they will be. They like the current brakes and eddys to wait to ambush bait as it goes by