Important Information Here: You will learn about the different type and sizes of hooks used in fishing these days.

https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/hooks

BS starts here: (feel free to skip this part) but please read the information in the link above.

I've been fishing since I was knee high to a tadpole. My dad took me fishing with him when I was still a toddler. I remember his raising earth worms down in the dark dirty basement where we had a coal chute and coal was dumped down the chute into a Coal Bin. The basement was off limits to me as the stairs were old and steep. I only went down there with my father a few times. But I do remember those few times. It was a special time. He would feed the earth worms which he kept in metal containers with wet burlap or news papers over the top of the soil in the containers. He kept it wet and would lift the newspapers off the soil and I could see all the worms slithering around inside the layers of the newspapers and burlap bags. The worms on the surface of the dirt would try to dig back down when the light was exposed to them. There were worm eggs and little worms and big worms. Dad use to sell the worms to the bait shops around town. Like I said I was younger than 8 years old because after I turned 8 we moved out to the country side. We left that old two story city house behind. I drive by there rarely these days as that part of town has gone downhill. The homes in the city are all over 70 years old by now. My mom's mother and father lived next door to us back them so I spent a lot of time in their house too as a youngster. I learned that there was no Santa Claus in that house when I found all my 4th year Christmas Presents under the bed one year. Funny thing is that never bothered me at all. I just knew that someone (mom, dad, grandparents, uncles and aunts) were giving me Christmas Present and that was good enough for me. LOL

I'm 66 years old now and have been fishing out of boats since I was 8 years old. The year we moved my dad and his fishing buddy finally asked me to go down to KY lake to fish with them. I guess they figure I was now old enough to tag along. I still remember that day. Dad and Don (his good friend) would pack up the car on Friday night after they got off work. Mom would take me to Don's house as Don had the boat and day was the non boater. They would always pack up and head out to the lake leaving me behind. I wanted so bad to tag along but for 7 years I was left behind with mom. I always looked forward to Sunday night when they came back with a boat load of fish. They always caught lots of bass and back in those days we ate what we caught. There were very few limits on the number of fish but they didn't bring home more than we could eat in a couple of meals. I have photos of some of the fish they use to catch. I did get to eat them though and learned to picked out the bones. They didn't fillet them that well I guess. As there were always some bones to pick out. I learned to eat slowly and have some slices of bread around in case I accidently swallowed a bone. I guess they told me to eat some bread to get the bones out of my throat. I never really did have to eat the bread though.

But the one thing that I've learned over the past 66 years if that things change. I fished with a KY lake Crappie Rig that was sold in the bait store at the boat dock at the camp we stayed at. Today they call this rig the Coleman&Chaps rig for some reason. But I fished with this rig before Coleman and Chaps were even born. LOL. Still it's a good fishing rig or terminal tackle as they call it these days. It caught plenty of crappie. We just lowered the line down to the bottom of the fishing hole and reeled up two turns. That put the minnows right off the bottom. Crappie like to feed Upwards. That was true in 1958 and it's still true today. Something to remember. Except during the coldest part's of winter when there is ice on the lakes the fish start to feed on bottom dwelling things. So they may flip over on their side and eat small worms that live in the bottom soil of the lake. Lots of different aquatic insects live in the soil. Maybe this is why finding areas of transition from hard bottom to soft bottom or area with rocks is key to finding the fish. The flora and fauna that lives in different types of soil or bottom material can change. Time of year also effects where the food chain begins. But I've covered that many a times in here and other places.

But today I want to post a link to a story about different fishing hooks and how to talk about the different Sizes of the hooks. Evidently there are at least two different systems for talking about hook sizes. The 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0 system and then the size 2, 3, 4, 5.... system. That has always confused me for some reason. Sort of like trying to remember the difference in Moles and Molarity in Chemistry. Or the cations vs. anions. Now I have the latter memorized as I worked in an analytical lab for 7 years and got that one down. But the Molar and Molarity still confuse me. Maybe it's because I don't use them often. Some things you just have to memorize and try to remember. Hook sizes are one of those things.

Read this:

https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/hooks